I can't edit my posts

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The to "edit" radio button on my posts has disappeared.....so I cannot edit them anymore.

The to "edit" radio button on my posts has disappeared.....so I cannot edit them anymore.

I made a mistake on this post and wanted to remove to, but obviously can't.:facepalm:

I solved the problem by clicking the "Remember me" box at login.....the server upgrade has some issues. My experience of upgrades is that they are often downgrades in some areas.

The edit window closes 6 hours after you post.
Why is it only 6 hours? Very occasionally I make a post that I regret or want to redo. That might be the next day, but now I have to live with it for eternity? Seems too harsh a policy.

Was it always like this or has the policy changed?

Why is it only 6 hours? Very occasionally I make a post that I regret or want to redo. That might be the next day, but now I have to live with it for eternity? Seems too harsh a policy.

Was it always like this or has the policy changed?

The limit was put into place several years ago*. Originally there was no limit on editing your posts, but a couple of disgruntled members who deleted hundreds of their posts before flouncing off led management to implement a time limit. The six hour edit window was a compromise to allow what is believed to be a reasonable time frame to allow for corrections of typos, etc., but prevent abuse.

* July of 2007

Last edited:
The limit was put into place several years ago*. Originally there was no limit on editing your posts, but a couple of disgruntled members who deleted hundreds of their posts before flouncing off led management to implement a time limit. The six hour edit window was a compromise to allow what is believed to be a reasonable time frame to allow for corrections of typos, etc., but prevent abuse.

* July of 2007
Hi REWahoo, is there any chance of revisiting this and maybe wind up setting a somewhat longer time? Is there a time frame that the forum administration feels is totally unacceptable ... like over 1 month?

I would be happy to start a poll with some options we agree to ahead of time. It would just be an "advisory" thread to guide the powers that be. ;) I could put the poll in Other Topics to get exposure.

Some options for such a post might be:
1) 24 hours
2) 48 hours
3) 72 hours
4) keep it at 6 hours (present setting)
5) other

You would then more likely have quoted portions of material that had been altered or continuing discussions that would not make sense. I imagine most editing is done within ten minutes. You can always PM a moderator about a need to edit an older post.

You would then more likely have quoted portions of material that had been altered or continuing discussions that would not make sense. I imagine most editing is done within ten minutes. You can always PM a moderator about a need to edit an older post.

I agree!

I agree too. Within a few hours, your post will probably be quoted by someone else anyways and it is too late to make changes.

Last edited:
OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.

OK, I'll just be more hesitant to post some stuff here. One even gets 3 days to go back on a contract (buyers remorse) in our state. Never did this but it is nice to know this is possible. Writers remorse is a real phenomena. PM'ing a moderator ... well, I guess that works but not quite the same as having control of what one writes.

The issue is that the posts quoted by other members then have to be edited too. In a long thread that can be quite a bit of work if the post was quoted often. There is no "find and replace" function for the moderators. Also it can make the edited posts look like gobbledygook since it changes the context.

The issue is that the posts quoted by other members then have to be edited too. In a long thread that can be quite a bit of work if the post was quoted often. There is no "find and replace" function for the moderators. Also it can make the edited posts look like gobbledygook since it changes the context.
I am not proposing that moderators do any global edits. Or even that moderators should be bothered to edit my slightly dated post. I'm only proposing that we the forum participants have control over our posts for more then a mere 6 hours.

If I post something that I find embarrassing or too off topic, maybe after waking up the next day, shouldn't I be able to modify it myself? That's all I'm saying here.

No need to be more hesitant, nothing has changed. It's been this way for years.

Are you sure that is for all contracts:confused: Usually these time limits are for some kind of specific type of selling and not all...

IOW, if you go buy a car and sign the contract and drive the car away.... I doubt that you get three days to take it back and say 'so sorry, I want to cancel this contract'....

I am not proposing that moderators do any global edits. Or even that moderators should be bothered to edit my slightly dated post. I'm only proposing that we the forum participants have control over our posts for more then a mere 6 hours.

If I post something that I find embarrassing or too off topic, maybe after waking up the next day, shouldn't I be able to modify it myself? That's all I'm saying here.

So you wake up the next day and you decide to delete an embarrassing post. But someone has already quoted you. What do you do? Even if you delete your original post, everyone will still be able to see the embarrassing content quoted in subsequent posts. When you think about it, 6 hours is very generous. Generally a post gets quoted in a matter of minutes and then it's out of your hands.

Maybe we should add a "Foot in Mouth" button that would allow the poster to acknowledge that the post no longer represents the posters current thinking :cool:

Maybe we should add a "Foot in Mouth" button that would allow the poster to acknowledge that the post no longer represents the posters current thinking :cool:

:LOL:

Sometimes I just want to quote myself and add "Did I say that out loud?"

:LOL:

Sometimes I just want to quote myself and add "Did I say that out loud?"

Exactly :)

I don't post much on Facebook, but when we are traveling I post quite a bit on where we are, and also a selection of photos. Invariably I make spelling mistakes, particularly on place names. DW will often point out the errors pretty quickly, but it's too late to make any changes or delete the entry.

At least with Facebook albums I can make changes to my photo descriptions long after I have put them up.

OK, I know when I'm beat. But the rabbit ears are down today.

Sorry to see listing ears but wanted to make sure you know that the site team is generally amendable to assisting with reasonable edit requests (including the occasional privacy concern). If you have a post that needs to be updated with new info it's generally better to post to that thread with an update - folks just don't go back and reread old posts and so they will likely never see the update if the post is simply edited. :)

OK, I know when I'm beat. But the rabbit ears are down today.

I see their point. The quoting thing can be a problem.

Just a slight veer off-topic, but I seem to recall that a post would show "edited one time by ERD50 at 5:59PM" or something like that. I don't see those edit remarks anymore. It was kind of nice to know. And I think the "Reason for editing" field would be shown. But I don't see that anymore - or am I thinking of a different forum?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom