Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I thank people for their contributions in this forum, but I'm always on my phone (Android), which doesn't support my typing additional comments. So you all will have to just appreciate the "unqualified thanks."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I always forget about "Thanks". On the computer I can see them on the User CP, but rarely go there. Even then, they are way at the bottom.

Turns out people were recently using it to ask me questions. Yikes!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:35 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow, I always forget about "Thanks". On the computer I can see them on the User CP, but rarely go there. Even then, they are way at the bottom.

Turns out people were recently using it to ask me questions. Yikes!
To get notified when someone sends you a Thanks, go to User CP > Edit Options, then scroll down to "Messaging & Notification" and check "Receive a PM notification when a post of yours is thanked".
Old 03-09-2020, 04:39 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
To get notified when someone sends you a Thanks, go to User CP > Edit Options, then scroll down to "Messaging & Notification" and check "Receive a PM notification when a post of yours is thanked".
THANKS!

I missed that box. I don't expect to get much noise from this since my thanks rate is maybe 2 per 100 posts.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with how the forum handles thank-you's and such. At the same time, I have found "likes" and responses useful in comments sections, because they help me assess how people react to my "take" on something.

If nobody "likes" it, that means, well, nobody liked it (and if there is a reply with no "like," I know it's gonna be critical. And sometimes, that critical person's POV has some merit).

I've also been surprised when a comment generates 70 "likes." Most popular, it seems, are little personal stories.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Mine too; then again I post so much that it feels as if I get "thanked" a good bit :-)

Quote:
THANKS!

my thanks rate is maybe 2 per 100 posts.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #27
gone traveling

I have been on FB for 10 years, and have never hit the "like" button on anything. I could also care less how many "likes, and shares" any of my posts glean, I have really never noticed.

It is entertaining to look at other people's photos online in social media. I can't believe how many duck face selfies that people post, obviously the same day, with different expressions....
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree that an economy of "likes" such as found on Facebook is a bit over the top.

However I use "likes" on other forums (fora?) like this and find it helpful.

It molds good behavior. That dopamine hit from a stranger "liking" what you wrote tends to foster better writing and a friendlier tone.

It cuts WAY down on the volume of pointless "me too" posts.

I, for one, am far more likely to offer an unobtrusive "like" than to waste everyone's time by posting a simple agreement with no new content. And although I do use the "Thanks" button when appropriate, that's also more intrusive for both the sender and recipient, and so needs to be used sparingly.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Thank heaven my FB friends don't do that. Most are old enough that they know how ugly the duck face looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
It is entertaining to look at other people's photos online in social media. I can't believe how many duck face selfies that people post, obviously the same day, with different expressions....
Old 03-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #30

I disagree that likes/reactions foster pro-social behavior. That is what they hoped it would do, but it doesn't. It actually ends up fostering division, argument, conformity, and other negative features.

Keep it out, please. Its absence is part of why this forum is better than most.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHobbit View Post
I hate to break this to you, but what do you think happens when somebody gets a lot of replies to a thread? Ya, that’s right.... dopamine hit. Likes are just a light touch way of saying “I like what your wrote.” , a “thumbs up”. Each to their own, but there is nothing insidious going on there.
I "like" this.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #32

Old 03-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm on FB a lot but I'm pretty suspicious about Liking and Sharing. If I have something relevant to say about a post, I reply. I get SO tired people posting their scores on quizzes "only 95% of the population can pass" (they did, of course), or challenging me with "I bet nobody will share this picture of a sick kid, WWII veteran, hurt puppy" or "please share if you care about suicide, cancer, puppy mills..." I mean, who doesn't?

Here's one article about the motivation for some of these. It's from the BBB but I;ve read similar articles from other sources over the years.

https://www.bbb.org/article/news-rel...l-going-strong
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I get SO tired people posting their scores on quizzes "only 95% of the population can pass" (they did, of course), or challenging me with "I bet nobody will share this picture of a sick kid, WWII veteran, hurt puppy" or "please share if you care about suicide, cancer, puppy mills..." I mean, who doesn't?
This, along with some other issues, got me to reduce my FB activity significantly. I dumped 75% of my "friends," and only log on once per week to check on relatives. I have a strict rule: mention politics, and you are unfriended. I don't care if you are the pope. My feed is much nicer, but now still full of these "chain letters" and quizes. I'm about to start unfriending anyone with a chain letter. "Please copy and post..."

Yes, unfriend. Not unfollow.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, unfriend. Not unfollow.
I've un-friended a handful and un-followed some others. They were on both sides of issues and I agreed with both of them on some issues, but what they had in common was that they couldn't have polite discussions or acknowledge in any way the possible validity of any idea that might weaken their stance.

Another favorite: "It works! FaceBook shows only a small potion of your friends' posts but if you copy and paste this..." (So how can you post about the success of this process BEFORE you copy, paste and re-post it?)

I really do need to access FB less but I'm headed out for a 3-week trip to South America today (yeah, call me crazy) and I find that I enjoy the interaction with friends when I'm traveling even though I know it's bad to broadcast that your house is empty.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

These things are why I have a very small FB friends circle. All are relatives, friends from (former) work, or hobby friends. I won't tolerate guilt trips, begging, or excessive seriousness. FB is an amusement, not a %$!*ing lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm on FB a lot but I'm pretty suspicious about Liking and Sharing. If I have something relevant to say about a post, I reply. I get SO tired people posting their scores on quizzes "only 95% of the population can pass" (they did, of course), or challenging me with "I bet nobody will share this picture of a sick kid, WWII veteran, hurt puppy" or "please share if you care about suicide, cancer, puppy mills..." I mean, who doesn't?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

"What is the sound of one thank liking?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

There have been plenty of studies recently on the impacts of social media and mental health. Seems to be a direct correlation between our (un)happiness and time spent actively engaged in this game of "likes"... as the OP brought up, this has to do with the dopamine hijacking that takes place when we start to reply on "likes" as validation for the content of our posting. Then it seems many compare their own posting to others...

the phrase "comparison is the theft of joy" comes to mind...
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #39

One thing that I found interesting was learning about that little delay you get in Facebook, before your notifications pop up. They programmed that in, because they found that there was more of an excitement/dopamine spike when people had to wait a few seconds before getting notified of their likes and mentions. It's similar to the excitement a gambler feels when he pulls the slot machine handle, then waits to see what he gets. The anticipation builds excitement/pleasure/dopamine. Keeps you coming back for more.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Why join an online group like this if you can’t handle the opinion of others...? Solution...Keep your opinions to yourself and protect your sensitive feelings from getting hurt. Geez.
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote