Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Can't imagine caring enough to put anyone on ignore. Just move to the next one.

Agree that the mods do a fantastic job here. And I've learned so much. Very humbling to read some of the well informed posts here.

To the OP. practice reading the annoying posts and moving on. Good life practice in general
Why the constant need to tell the OP to NOT use the ignore feature and to read the annoying posts instead for their own good!?! Jeez!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Differing views is one thing (and I won't hit ignore for that). Being an ass is another, and I don't put up with that offline, and won't online either. Doing so to make one feel "tolerant and superior", well, as I said before, to each his own.

I do learn a great deal from this forum, in the areas I want to learn. ER and financial.

Thanks to everyone for that opportunity.
This is the third time on this thread you have called some posters here "a$$4es"... now you're telling the posters that feel listening to discourse and the other side of an issue is important that we do it to feel "tolerant and superior".

Tell us what you really think
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I smell bacon cooking.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Different people handle things different ways. On nearly every forum I've been on, including this one, I've seen mods suggest people use the ignore function to avoid constant clashes. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but don't tell the OP (and me) not to use it. For me, I'm here for the entertainment as much as learning, and the content and style of a few posters takes away from the experience, far more than they contribute, for me. I cooperated with disagreeable people for 27 years of my career. I don't have to do that anymore.

I agree that the mods do a great job here. I do my part to make it a little easier for them by making it hard for me to respond badly to people who push my buttons.

I wish I could just read annoying posts and move on. That's a weakness of mine. A strength is recognizing my weakness and working around it, since I don't seem to be able to overcome it. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do.
Agree with all but the last paragraph.

I don’t wish to read annoying posts and move on. I don’t consider that a moral weakness that I should overcome. I’ve simply got better things to do with my time.

For the record - I don’t believe that all posts are equal nor all opinions equally valid, nor do I feel like I should read each and every post on any topic nor every opinion expressed and certainly not if I have to wade through language I find dismissive or holier-than-thou.

Getting tired of the moralizing on this forum. Maybe it’s time to ignore more aggressively.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #65
Administrator

For sure we can keep this friendly. This thread might be an example of the usefulness of the “ignore” feature.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Why the constant need to tell the OP to NOT use the ignore feature and to read the annoying posts instead for their own good!?! Jeez!
I guess maybe because he came here rather belligerent made a political type comment and started calling some of the posters here a$$es, not once but several times. I felt some compulsion to advise him to keep at it and read a few more posts before making that judgement. If you have less then 100 posts and start taking potshots at people,it can backfire.

What of one of these posters he so dislikes has an area of expertise that can help him greatly with his ER? Or some valuable insight about paying for HI when you retire early. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying give people a chance before you label them "not worth your time"

We're in the virtual world here but sometime things do feel personal. In my case I even have a few family members that are willing to judge and ignore other family members and lifelong friends because of political differences of opinions. This might be coloring my responses here. We're forum members from different countries, different ages, both sexes, different in many many ways. Living on my farm reading here is a chance to see the people behind the posters and how they are different and yes alike to me.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agree with all but the last paragraph.

I don’t wish to read annoying posts and move on. I don’t consider that a moral weakness that I should overcome. I’ve simply got better things to do with my time.

For the record - I don’t believe that all posts are equal nor all opinions equally valid, nor do I feel like I should read each and every post on any topic nor every opinion expressed.

Getting tired of the moralizing on this forum. Maybe it’s time to ignore more aggressively.
We're not far off. I said "I wish I COULD just read annoying posts and move on", but not "I wish I DID read...". I just wish I had the ability to not let my buttons be pushed. I still probably would put some people on ignore just to make it more enjoyable.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #68

Ha! There are posts that p_ss me off, often by the same poster (no names mentioned here). Then, I read the same poster under a different topic and they make sense and seem insightful.

It's like being around my family. I can leave a family gathering that had an ugly political discussion, fuming, I will never talk to them again!
But guess what, time passes and they do something wonderful and I love them again.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I use another site that is more Instagrammish—people can post just text, a photo, or a video, and others comment; you can be private and monitor who can see your stuff, or public and duh everything is public. You can block another user and never see their posts or comments, which is reciprocal; if you block others, they can never see your posts. It’s easy to block but almost impossible to lift a block. I sort of like that system—you really have to think about if you want to ignore someone forever....
Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #70

It is an interesting exchange. I think I may not have been here long enough to have felt the need to ignore people, but that day could be coming.

Stated differently, I do ignore people or at least certain posts. But I do not use the ignore feature. If I found someone consistently disagreeable, obtuse, or generally useless I would definitely use the ignore feature.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
We're not far off. I said "I wish I COULD just read annoying posts and move on", but not "I wish I DID read...". I just wish I had the ability to not let my buttons be pushed. I still probably would put some people on ignore just to make it more enjoyable.
I’ve put some posters on ignore not due to pushing my buttons, but perhaps due to constantly beating a dead horse or what seems to me to be troll-like behavior.

I occasionally take ignored posters off, but amazingly most get eventually ignored again.

The number ignored is very small just FYI.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
... It takes a lot for me to Ignore a poster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
...I do ignore people or at least certain posts. But I do not use the ignore feature. ...
+1 I've never put anyone on Ignore yet... though I concede that there is at least one poster that when I see his screen name I just skip to the next post as IME he doesn't have anything useful to contribute. I have a short list of Ignore List candidates if I ever decide to use that function.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Again... Why do you care?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Again... Why do you care?
Why do you care?

I personally do not like shoulding. I tend to speak up when I see that happening.

But I’ve said my piece.....

Probably better if you put me on ignore.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #75

Quote:
Why do you care?

I personally do not like shoulding.
Except that the word "should" was never mentioned in my post. And you responded to me... Not me to you.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:

I personally do not like shoulding.
Never heard that before and I had to look it up.

Some of the posts here would be just as well off in the pet peeve thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-71670-94.html
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What of one of these posters he so dislikes has an area of expertise that can help him greatly with his ER? Or some valuable insight about paying for HI when you retire early. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying give people a chance before you label them "not worth your time".
Thankfully there’s only one long-standing member here who I’ve semi-deliberately been borderline nasty with more than once. I regret a few of those past replies, but not all. And I just don’t take the bait nearly as often as I used to. But I’ve learned from his posts on other topics/threads before, and acknowledged same when it happens. You never know what you might learn if you’re willing to skim through less pleasant posts. So I haven’t used ignore in years. It’s easy enough to skip reading people I often disagree with, and occasionally try to defend another member if I think they’re being treated unfairly by someone I know has a history of doing so.

There are way more longstanding members here who are very bright, thoughtful and willing to share. That’s valuable to the community. And why I’ve been here for 10+ years.

But just my experience, I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Human relationships are like the weather: incredibly random, although you know that somewhere, somehow, there's a reason for all of it :-)

There are two outstandingly smart members on here (well, there are lots of those) who don't see eye to eye. But somehow, I see eye to eye with both of them, and would probably like them both in person. And their back-and-forthing (which may have been cleaned up a bit by mods) has been fairly educational.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I've never put anyone on Ignore yet... though I concede that there is at least one poster that when I see his screen name I just skip to the next post as IME he doesn't have anything useful to contribute. I have a short list of Ignore List candidates if I ever decide to use that function.

I sorta do this. Quite a while back I started a thread and 2 responses, frankly, ticked me off. One of them was borderline insulting. I gave that one a brilliant, in my humble opinion, non-response response. I later got a compliment, via PM, from one of the moderators.
Life is too short. I don't feel the need to get into arguments with posters, here. And if I even know of a member whose posts would irk me, I'd just skim the comment and move on to the next one.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for everyone’s input! I agree with what most are saying, and yes, could just skim through the posts of those that seem to just be contrary to be contrary (or provoke response), but as someone else pointed out... why? There’s a forum tool to help me do just that, since I wouldn’t be reading it anyway.

There are a lot of members here (smart, already retired and “doing it”) so I’m sure I’ll be learning from in the future, and sure look forward to it!!

Mr Sensitive
(Maybe I can change my user name? )