Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Carol Pilbasian-Miller, is that you?
Or, perhaps, Winston Churchill.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

I've never used the ignore function. I can't remember reading any posts that bothered me to the point where I didn't want to read any more posts by the poster.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Or, perhaps, Winston Churchill.
Or maybe, just maybe, Imelda Marcos?
Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, Imelda Marcos?
Naah...too busy trying on shoes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #105
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Naah...too busy trying on shoes.
or trying shoes on.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #106

While I enjoy this forum I have learned to keep things in perspective. I read subjects that interest me and I bow out when some go awry (shiny car) because they lost their way. I make sure I don't vent after several cocktails for sure. I have several hot button subjects but I've learned to be selective and diplomatic in my responses. Have been spanked once by the moderators and understand the spanking and why my loving parents used the spoon on me.

I am always very guarded about forums and social media and how it can get away from its intended meaning. This forum does about a good a job as anyone could expect.

That being said there are a but*load of "A" type people here and we're all geniuses so it hard to corral the dogs sometimes. This has been an interesting thread.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I find this whole ignore topic is kind of interesting, as part of human nature. I've never put anyone on ignore, but I've got my reasons, and I don't consider myself 'superior' in any way for that. Part of what I come here for is to have my ideas challenged, so yes I will challenge others when I think they are trying to pronounce that 2 + 2 = 5, or 'everyone must' do xyz.

But others come here for other reasons, and they may find debating certain topics aggravating, or simply have zero interest in it. So the ignore button might be the right thing for them. It's not one size fits all. Even if I kind of think of using ignore as 'sticking your head in the sand', maybe it is just this forum, or this topic - it doesn't mean the poster is that way in everything. And if they are, well, it's their life, their decision.

I recall, a long time poster who is seldom seen anymore, was really getting preachy about this 'ignore' feature. He was asking for the ignore lists to be published with counts, so others could see who was being ignored and by how many. That really struck me as middle-school-clique-ish. I mean really, a grown adult needs validation on what they think of others, they can't decide for themselves?

OTOH, and I think it was mentioned earlier, it could be useful for each of us to see who has us on ignore. I'd imagine it would be pretty clear in most cases, but if it was someone that you never thought you had any conflict with, you might wonder if it was a misunderstanding, and want to straighten it out . I doubt the software supports that, so just a thought.

I think at one time, I may have been being a bit aggressive in defending a certain point, one of the mods said something to me about having a long list of 'ignores'. To be honest, I really don't care. Like I said, I like a debate, and I try to be polite, and use facts/figures, but I've found that some people "just can't handle the Truth!", or simply don't like to engage in debate. If a poster doesn't want to hear my side, fine, put me on ignore. I'm not going to change and agree that 2 + 2 = 5, just to make you feel good. It just isn't in my nature, I'll happily live with the consequences.

And even the posters that I might sometimes clash with on some subjects and maybe get to the point they are aggravating me, if they post asking for help, and I can offer it, I do. I don't hold a grudge. I don't see any reason to treat someone differently just because we disagree in one area. I guess that's another reason I don't use ignore.

This thread would have been a lot shorter if the OP had simply asked about the ignore function, w/o all the judgemental implications. I'll keep an open mind, but I think that short post spoke volumes about the poster.

OK, this got too long, I bet most people who can see it, will skip it!

-ERD50
Old 11-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
IThis thread would have been a lot shorter if the OP had simply asked about the ignore function, w/o all the judgemental implications. I'll keep an open mind, but I think that short post spoke volumes about the poster. -ERD50
I made the post, and the description of why I was asking to clarify, why I was asking. A lot of the responses have been judgemental (just as you have said to me), and what is very interesting to me as a newcomer is that those that have done so, are well known apparently, as I have had some Thanks and PM's of support. Interesting that those that support feel the need to do so in private, perhaps to avoid the retribution?

I accept the criticism of my original post. I accept that you have now judged me for that post, just as I judged some of the others in other threads, and jumped to judgement of you from the quote above.

What is also interesting is how long this thread has gotten, and how strongly some feel about the topic. Self reflection is good, both ways.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that I might suggest to some is the ignore thread option (I think it is an option)... usually it is certain people in certain threads that some come across as preachy.... otherwise they can have some really good thoughts...

Me, I kinda get tired of a thread and no not to go back to it... I have missed some interesting threads by scanning the titles and it not clicking in my mind but ran across it weeks, sometimes months, later and say to myself 'how did I miss that one'...

At the end of reading what I want to read I almost always go to quick links and mark all forums read... next search only pulls up threads that have something new....
Old 11-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Thanks and PM's of support. Interesting that those that support feel the need to do so in private, perhaps to avoid the retribution?
Now, why would you think that?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

If someone tends toward heating his engine, as I too often do, this board can be pretty good practice at staying relaxed. And it is free!!

Ha
Old 11-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Now, why would you think that?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Interesting that those that support feel the need to do so in private, perhaps to avoid the retribution?
This statement, as well as your opening post, are very troll-like. Almost as if you are trying to get a reaction. Kinda sad...IMO.

That's OK. I appreciate the forum and all the opportunities to learn from so many much more knowledgeable than I.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #114

Quote:
Self reflection is good, both ways.
What does the above mean? Are there two good ways to self-reflect? Do they have names? Is more than one way necessary? Do the two ways sometimes compete with one another causing chaos within a person's psyche? Can it be harmful to self-reflect two different ways at the same time? After finishing one way of self-reflection, how long should a person wait before starting the second way of self-reflection?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What does the above mean? Are there two good ways to self-reflect? Do they have names? Is more than one way necessary? Do the two ways sometimes compete with one another causing chaos within a person's psyche? Can it be harmful to self-reflect two different ways at the same time? After finishing one way of self-reflection, how long should a person wait before starting the second way of self-reflection?
Meaning both parties, but somehow I don't think that escaped you.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... A lot of the responses have been judgemental .........
Judgmental only has one "e"
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This thread would have been a lot shorter if the OP had simply asked about the ignore function, w/o all the judgemental implications.
What Travelover said.....
Closed Thread