Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Thanks. I got my answer. As for opposing views, I’m fine with that, if it’s done respectfully. After looking at numerous threads, I see a common thread of people that have to post their opinion while being smart-a’s. Those are who I will ignore.

Also agree that in general, I see that the mods do a terrific job, and recently shut down a thread where people crossed the line of opinion with the other.

Thanks to those that answered the question without injecting the attitude. Working on an iPhone so was hard to find.
Who injected an attitude? A simple thanks for answering my question would have been fine. I'm getting the idea you are kind of sensitive...sensitive people might not do well here because we're not mean, but we sure are opinionated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Not off topic, but personally, I watch both CNN and FOX... Now that can be entertaining.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not off topic, but personally, I watch both CNN and FOX... Now that can be entertaining.
Or does a good job of raising blood pressure.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I just want to throw in a quick THANK YOU!!! to all the mods here. I don't frequent too many other forums because most of them are unable (or unwilling) to curb the vitriol that is so rampant these days. ER.org is the lone exception to this phenomenon and I certainly appreciate it. There are at times dissenting opinions that are borderline trolling, and there are a few...um, "strong" personalities here, but it's all very well managed. I think the recent thread on guns for home protection is a perfect example; on any other board, it would have been OUT OF CONTROL in less than 5 posts.

So again to the mods...thank you for making ER.org a fantastic place to hang out!
+1.

I've mentioned that the tone on this forum is awesome because of the efforts of the dedicated mods. FWIW, I've been perp-walked out the digital door a few times. And that has reminded me to keep my comments civil, respectful, and non-confrontational.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
+1.

I've mentioned that the tone on this forum is awesome because of the efforts of the dedicated mods. FWIW, I've been perp-walked out the digital door a few times. And that has reminded me to keep my comments civil, respectful, and non-confrontational.
I love that description ..it's very accurate....
Old 11-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Even if you ignore users, you can still use the "View Post" option to see an individual post. I use this a lot, as a reminder that this person probably has gotten under my skin before, and that I'm choosing to view the post anyway but don't want to let it get to me. It can slow down thread reading but it's a good filter for me. It usually keeps me from responding, especially negatively, and if I think I'm not in the mood to read a post where the style or content is likely to irk me, I don't view it.

You can also choose to not see threads from people you've ignored. I wish these two functions were split. There are at least 2 people I can think of who either just start too many threads that I just don't care to see at all, but I don't mind seeing their posts in other threads at all. It also means that I won't see threads from people I've otherwise chosen to put on my ignore list. There is a way in the control panel to see threads I've ignored, but I rarely remember to check. It's also annoying in that it shows the oldest ones first. Maybe that could be flipped? Admins? https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ge_threads.php is the page I'm talking about, I'd like to see newest first, not oldest.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Even if you ignore users, you can still use the "View Post" option to see an individual post. I use this a lot, as a reminder that this person probably has gotten under my skin before, and that I'm choosing to view the post anyway but don't want to let it get to me. It can slow down thread reading but it's a good filter for me. It usually keeps me from responding, especially negatively, and if I think I'm not in the mood to read a post where the style or content is likely to irk me, I don't view it.

You can also choose to not see threads from people you've ignored. I wish these two functions were split. There are at least 2 people I can think of who either just start too many threads that I just don't care to see at all, but I don't mind seeing their posts in other threads at all. It also means that I won't see threads from people I've otherwise chosen to put on my ignore list. There is a way in the control panel to see threads I've ignored, but I rarely remember to check. It's also annoying in that it shows the oldest ones first. Maybe that could be flipped? Admins? https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ge_threads.php is the page I'm talking about, I'd like to see newest first, not oldest.

Thanks! Great information!

I just don’t want to spend energy reading or responding to certain folks/attitudes (not worth it), so I appreciate your input and advice!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have some posters on ignore. It’s not necessarily about opinions. I’m happy to assert my right to ignore certain people - that improves my quality of life.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Thanks! Great information!

I just don’t want to spend energy reading or responding to certain folks/attitudes (not worth it), so I appreciate your input and advice!
You are on the correct path, IMO. All discussion groups have a way of ignoring threads or users. Nothing wrong with using a feature of the software.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I think using the “ignore” feature is an appropriate thing to do if it will make the website a more pleasant place for you.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

That's exactly how I use the feature.

Yeah, I read the post but I know from past experiences this user has a history of getting a little wonky with me and I don't like to play the wonky game. Perhaps it's my perception but ok, it is mine.

In 5.5 years I think there are two posters on my "beware list".
Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I agree that the mods do a fantastic job. I think this board is rather civil, and I like it that way. I do not personally use the ignore feature, at least not yet. Generally, I would like to think that I could learn something from anyone. Lot of smart people there.

But yes, a few are probably a bit cranky from time to time. If it is all the time, that's a different matter. But I just skip past them if they are not attempting to inform or persuade.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When I first joined many years ago I had 8 people on ignore. All of them left (or got flicked by Mods?) long ago. I can’t think of too many people here who are consistently “demeaning.” And I expect and welcome different POVs, so I don’t have an issue with “biased.” I’ve had a few posts of my own I regretted later so...

The Mods here do a great job year in and year out, thanks ladies and gents!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Midpack and I were cheerleaders for the illustrious Class of 2011 (I was assistant cheerleader).

I recall getting very ill as I approached my Big Day and asking to take a break. No problem, very appreciated!

e-r.org is fortunate to have gained a great membership.

p.s. I was a moderator for about 47 seconds. It’s a hard job, so respect is in order (and a thanks)

Old 11-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have one here that brings the worst out in me. LOL I have a hard time keeping my thoughts to myself when a know it all, my way or no way bully has their way with people.

It gets me in trouble and I regret it, there has been a few remarks I have made because of that type of responses. I have paid the price for those mistakes in the past. I don't use ignore because that persons opinion has a value and I respect that opinion. It is when it is the only way or no way that I need to stop reading. LOL

I really do respect the people here and their knowledge without them and their advise I really wouldn't have had the knowledge to retire. I thank you all for that and the mods that do a tremendous job. This is a top notch run site IMO.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I have one here that brings the worst out in me. LOL I have a hard time keeping my thoughts to myself when a know it all, my way or no way bully has their way with people.
I'll try to tone it down...
Old 11-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
If any users here have you on "ignore", they should be taken to the town square and flogged, or at the very least BANNED from ER.org
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Not you SIR! LOL
I love your posts you have been there and done it. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
If any users here have you on "ignore", they should be taken to the town square and flogged, or at the very least BANNED from ER.org
+1 or maybe that is even worth a +2
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

In my 10 years on this forum, only one poster ever managed to push what few "buttons" I have, while adding zero value to my reading. Sometimes, a little irritation is a price to pay for a stranger's valuable insights.

I think the mods manage to disappear a lot of posts before I ever see them.
Closed Thread