Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
When I first joined many years ago I had 8 people on ignore. All of them left (or got flicked by Mods?) long ago. ...........
My experience, too. Most people worthy of ignoring don't stick around very long, anyway
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
..sensitive people might not do well here because we're not mean, but we sure are opinionated.
On FB this week, I managed to get myself sworn at and called an idiot by a FAMILY MEMBER because I pointed out a fallacy in their political hot-potatoe post! I stopped following that family member. Those who don't want to listen to reason, or discuss things, but rather want to reiterate their point of view with no rational evaluation, are not worth taking the time to listen to, IMHO.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I have put only 2 posters on Ignore and in both cases it was temporary. I know one of them stopped posting 4 years ago, and the other I don't remember the poster's name but I know I haven't seen anything from him/her in years.

It takes a lot for me to Ignore a poster.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #44
gone traveling

I appreciate everyones opinions on whether "ignoring" others is beneficial, or somehow shows a lack of open thought. For me, it's just avoiding what I want to avoid. To each his own, and thankfully we all can exercise our own opinion, and decisions on using the forum tools.

I also appreciate those that have sent positive private messages.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

So far I have not ignored anybody. At times I do have to remember that it is not necessary to respond to every comment, even those that may directly attack one.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The devil made me do it so I had to try to "ignore" one of the moderators. No one specifically, just the first mod I found on line.

Surprise, it won't let me do that.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The devil made me do it so I had to try to "ignore" one of the moderators. No one specifically, just the first mod I found on line.

Surprise, it won't let me do that.
And we can't ignore you either.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
And we can't ignore you either.
Super, now I know at least a few are seeing my post!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #49
Administrator

Actually, I wouldn't ignore anyone, even if I could. I don't always agree with people, but they almost always make me think. There are many intelligent, thoughtful and funny members here, and I enjoy reading what they post.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't ignore anyone, even if I could. I don't always agree with people, but they almost always make me think. There are many intelligent, thoughtful and funny members here, and I enjoy reading what they post.
I agree with everything you said "except maybe thoughtful in some cases". Some can get PO'd pretty easy. I personally don't have anyone in my ignore list and never have. Even for those I strongly disagree with on a regular basis, I'll still read what they have to say. Albeit, speed read in some cases. And I've had my POV changed or adjusted by some posters comments.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #51

Quote:
So it goes to the saying: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ?

(author unknown to me.)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I don’t have anyone on ignore. Who should I add?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1 on this...

I am pretty blunt, just the way I am built... and there are a few posters on here that are so far from my point of view on everything that I might only agree with maybe 1 of 100 posts... sometimes when I read their post I will say to myself "how could anybody think like that"...

BUT, I do not ignore them as I do want to get everybody's view... after reading I can then just ignore what I read...

As to being really blunt, I have someone in mind for this... there are engineers on this board that want to deal in facts... if you are posting something that should be based in facts they will challenge you to the facts... I really like that... I think you should be able to defend a fact based comment with real facts... and if someone points out that the numbers do not seem to add up I do not think that is being rude...

Then again, I might be ignored by a number of people...

BTW, is there any way to find out who IS ignoring you? Now that would be something interesting to see...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I can think of only one person on here that seems to hunt me down and post almost opposite of what I say. I don’t even have them on ignore. That’s the internet. There will always be “that guy”. I try not to be “that guy.”
Old 11-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
So it goes to the saying: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ?

(author unknown to me.)
Michael Corleone ?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 AM   #56
gone traveling

Differing views is one thing (and I won't hit ignore for that). Being an ass is another, and I don't put up with that offline, and won't online either. Doing so to make one feel "tolerant and superior", well, as I said before, to each his own.

I do learn a great deal from this forum, in the areas I want to learn. ER and financial.

Thanks to everyone for that opportunity.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #57

Can't imagine caring enough to put anyone on ignore. Just move to the next one.

Agree that the mods do a fantastic job here. And I've learned so much. Very humbling to read some of the well informed posts here.

To the OP. practice reading the annoying posts and moving on. Good life practice in general [emoji4]
Old 11-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Can't imagine caring enough to put anyone on ignore. Just move to the next one.

Agree that the mods do a fantastic job here. And I've learned so much. Very humbling to read some of the well informed posts here.

To the OP. practice reading the annoying posts and moving on. Good life practice in general [emoji4]
Different people handle things different ways. On nearly every forum I've been on, including this one, I've seen mods suggest people use the ignore function to avoid constant clashes. If you don't want to use it, that's fine, but don't tell the OP (and me) not to use it. For me, I'm here for the entertainment as much as learning, and the content and style of a few posters takes away from the experience, far more than they contribute, for me. I cooperated with disagreeable people for 27 years of my career. I don't have to do that anymore.

I agree that the mods do a great job here. I do my part to make it a little easier for them by making it hard for me to respond badly to people who push my buttons.

I wish I could just read annoying posts and move on. That's a weakness of mine. A strength is recognizing my weakness and working around it, since I don't seem to be able to overcome it. It's not ideal, but it's the best I can do.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

If posts in a given thread get annoying, or I get bored or fed up with a thread, (That is more often the case), like this thread is starting to. Nothing personal, I may be just fed up with following it anymore, I simply remove it from my subscription list rather than block anyone in particular. I find all opinions of value even if others do not. But I do get bored of the threads occasionally.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #60

I learned early on with this board to think carefully before I do post as you will hear from others. I don't have anyone on ignore, I would just move on. I do enjoy the board, the moderators, and I have learned a lot.