Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Ignoring users
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
gone traveling

Ignoring users

I am (relatively) new on this site. Is there a way to ignore certain users so you don’t have to read or see there obviously biased or demeaning posts? I read the forum rules, and understand the mods try to deal with these situations, but from the closed threads I’ve seen it seems to happen a lot faster on one side of the spectrum than the other. Thanks in advance for pointing out how to do this easily as I’m sure I’m just overlooking something.

Also, I hope to get a respectful reply, not smart-a responses, although once I learn the process it will allow me to start the ignore list more quickly... [emoji23]
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm use the android app, but I'm pretty sure they're all similar. Click on the user's profile and then on android it's the upper right dots. Probably slightly different from other interfaces but it's gotta be similar.

At least on android you can still see a blocked user posted and can read that post if you click on it. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I am (relatively) new on this site. Is there a way to ignore certain users so you don’t have to read or see there obviously biased or demeaning posts? I read the forum rules, and understand the mods try to deal with these situations, but from the closed threads I’ve seen it seems to happen a lot faster on one side of the spectrum than the other. Thanks in advance for pointing out how to do this easily as I’m sure I’m just overlooking something.

Also, I hope to get a respectful reply, not smart-a responses, although once I learn the process it will allow me to start the ignore list more quickly... [emoji23]

Yes, if you left-click on the persons's name on the left side of a post, a drop-down menu will appear. Ignore this user's posts is one of the menu items. This is assuming you're using a web browser.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^ Exactly, here is a screenshot to help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-11-15_11-40-13.jpg (199.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From the forum manual: Comprehensive Ignore System

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post739553
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post

I'll respectfully point out, that rather then simply asking how to ignore a poster you had to throw in a dig at the "other side of spectrum". People are just people who have their own views and opinions. If you see a post you deem to be offensive report to the mods.

IOW other people are demeaning or biased but you aren't? I've gotten pretty ticked off a few times myself but I don't ignore posters. If you don't agree with the way someone says something or the view they express, keep reading their posts and you might get a better understanding of the person behind the poster. As a community we often come here and share triumphs and tragedies. You won't see this forum at it's best until you see people from "both sides of the spectrum" expressing consolation or congratulations. You don't have to agree with a single thing they say, but a mind open to listening in this day and age will take you a long way.

It's a pretty small world when you only want to converse will people that agree with you.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'll respectfully point out, that rather then simply asking how to ignore a poster you had to throw in a dig at the "other side of spectrum". People are just people who have their own views and opinions. If you see a post you deem to offensive report to the mods.

IOW other people are demeaning or biased but you aren't? I've gotten pretty ticked off a few times myself but I don't ignore posters. If you don't agree with the way someone says something or the view they express, keep reading their posts and you might get a better understanding of the person behind the poster. As a community we often come here and share triumphs and tragedies. You won't see this forum at it's best until you see people from "both sides of the spectrum" expressing consolation or congratulations. You don't have to agree with a single thing they say, but a mind open to listening in this day and age will take you a long way.

It's a pretty small world when you only want to converse will people that agree with you.
I agree with your assessment of needing to hear both sides of an issue.
I don't have any issues with the content, usually it is the way it is delivered.
I have never ignored any posters, but would use it in the right situation.

Being respectful is not that hard.

VW
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I agree with your assessment of needing to hear both sides of an issue.
I don't have any issues with the content, usually it is the way it is delivered.
I have never ignored any posters, but would use it in the right situation.

Being respectful is not that hard.

VW
Right but real disrespect and abuse is nipped in the bud by the mods. I think a lot of the time the problem is not hearing a tone of voice and not knowing the personality of the posters. Some people are just blunt all the time. Half the time I think people post from their phones and get terse and sound flip when they really don't mean to.

I have people I don't like in real life either because I think they speak before they think and don't really listen to me but are busy trying to shoot me down in their heads, but that's the way they are with everyone.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you only want to see the viewpoints of the typical folks that frequent this this forum, then please add me to your ignore list since I often have opposing views here.

Many post here are "obviously biased" towards the posters "perspective of the issue". Not sure that's a bad thing but it is honest, in most cases.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
If you only want to see the viewpoints of the typical folks that frequent this this forum, then please add me to your ignore list since I often have opposing views here.

Many post here are "obviously biased" towards the posters "perspective of the issue". Not sure that's a bad thing but it is honest, in most cases.
Agreed. If one does not listen to other folks point of views, one does not learn. Even if one does not agree, they may be correctly interpreting the context of a discussion. Constructive discourse means listening to both sides.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perhaps we need a separate thread on "confirmation bias", which is the behavior that seeks information that only agrees with what we already believe.

It used to be OK to disagree, and hearing/seeing evidence that contradicted our beliefs caused us to perhaps rethink our position. But now, facts to the contrary seem to inflame and entrench some people.

I don't think it's just political, so that's not at all where I'm headed. It just seems to be a generalized characteristic these days.

Anyhow....I have used ignore in the past but stopped out of curiosity. I wanted to see what "they" were up to now.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I just want to throw in a quick THANK YOU!!! to all the mods here. I don't frequent too many other forums because most of them are unable (or unwilling) to curb the vitriol that is so rampant these days. ER.org is the lone exception to this phenomenon and I certainly appreciate it. There are at times dissenting opinions that are borderline trolling, and there are a few...um, "strong" personalities here, but it's all very well managed. I think the recent thread on guns for home protection is a perfect example; on any other board, it would have been OUT OF CONTROL in less than 5 posts.

So again to the mods...thank you for making ER.org a fantastic place to hang out!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I thought of posting on this thread, but since everyone ignores me anyway nobody would read it.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I thought of posting on this thread, but since everyone ignores me anyway nobody would read it.
Did you say something?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
I’m so contrary that I put myself on ignore.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I just want to throw in a quick THANK YOU!!! to all the mods here. I don't frequent too many other forums because most of them are unable (or unwilling) to curb the vitriol that is so rampant these days. ER.org is the lone exception to this phenomenon and I certainly appreciate it. There are at times dissenting opinions that are borderline trolling, and there are a few...um, "strong" personalities here, but it's all very well managed. I think the recent thread on guns for home protection is a perfect example; on any other board, it would have been OUT OF CONTROL in less than 5 posts.

So again to the mods...thank you for making ER.org a fantastic place to hang out!
+1, Definitely agree
There are many times when reading a thread that I come to a post and think, whoa buddy, you are way off there. But usually a few posts later and his/her point of view is explained more, and I understand where they are coming from. I have learned so much from everyone on this forum and I think it is important to have each voice heard. And the mods keep it together.
But the ignore button is good to have if you feel you need it.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Not all opinions have equal value. While I agree that it is important to read and consider varying points of view, I have exactly two regular posters here on "ignore" because they have repeatedly posted opinions on subjects they clearly know nothing about. Ignoring them improves the board's signal-to-noise ratio for me.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I’m so contrary that I put myself on ignore.
Nemo2 - always love your humor, but CoolRich59 I think one upped you.
Very nice both of you.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
gone traveling

Thanks. I got my answer. As for opposing views, I’m fine with that, if it’s done respectfully. After looking at numerous threads, I see a common thread of people that have to post their opinion while being smart-a’s. Those are who I will ignore.

Also agree that in general, I see that the mods do a terrific job, and recently shut down a thread where people crossed the line of opinion with the other.

Thanks to those that answered the question without injecting the attitude. Working on an iPhone so was hard to find.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

If one thinks there are overt political viewpoints in posts on threads not directly related to early retirement, such as on a thread about guns, one should just report the post as being political (read the community rules about restrictions on partisan politics posts). Easy peasy. And after being a member here for ten years I can’t remember what anyone’s political leanings are and whether they agree with mine on any particular day, so no need for me to ignore people!