ING Pop-Up from ER.org? Asking not accusing...

ducky911

Recycles dryer sheets
pop-up

anyone else getting sick of the ING pop-up...pesty

thanks but i have a ipad and have my pop up blocker on but this thing gets by it. I try to google it .

In the past few days, when I open ER.org I get an unbelievably persistent ING Direct pop-up on my iPad that just won't go away without being acknowledged. Only appears with ER.org, and I've never seen a pop-up on my iPad before - ever! My Safari popup blocker is "on." I sure hope I can kill it off...

[edit: the popup does not appear when I open ER.org on my PC, just the iPad.]

Last edited:
Maybe something specifically targeted at IOS, I'm not seeing it on wintendoze or linux.

I moved this thread to Forum Admin as it is a techie type question.

I don't have an iPad but maybe one of the Forum admins can address this.

I'm not seeing it on my desktop, running IE9 with pop-ups blocked. I'm afraid the iPad OS is beyond my technical capabilities.

I see it only on iOS devices. Turning off JavaScript will get rid of it, but that's a less than perfect solution.

There already was a thread on this, so I merged them.

The pop-up is definitely there on iPads, but I have seen it at at least one other forum unrelated to social knowledge.

I started seeing a popup on my iPad this morning. It is irritating. But it isn't just ING.

pop up comes up on my ipad

When I log on.

Again if I click on a thread!

Again if there is two pages on a thread !!!

please change so it only comes up once.

Bob

just noticed it been changed from ING to capital one...I had to close it three times to get back here to edit my post...errrr

Last edited:
Appears to IOS and ER.org in common, I am not seeing it with any other website on my iPad. Mine is Capital One now too, no longer ING.

Do they really think it's effective to advertise with a hyper in-your-face pop-up? They're both guaranteed NONE of my business ever, who's next? Morons...

Last edited:
May have answered my own question. Turning off javascript works but too much else was lost as the source implied. So I went into Settings>Safari>Clear Cookies and Data, and the popup is gone. Of course my passwords etc. we're wiped out so I'll have to re-enter them all, but a price worth paying if the popup stays gone. We'll see...

May have answered my own question. Turning off javascript works but too much else was lost as the source implied. So I went into Settings>Safari>Clear Cookies and Data, and the popup is gone. Of course my passwords etc. we're wiped out so I'll have to re-enter them all, but a price worth paying if the popup stays gone. We'll see...

It didn't work for me.

You might try the old school method of editing the hosts file. I used to do this all the time before popup blockers. Here is a link to an overview of how it is done rather than writing it all up...

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

Now the caveat, I don't have an ios device to play with so I assume it has standard networking features ( the hosts file is very standard ) but I have NOT done it on ios. Would suggest you go googling for ios hosts file to see if it can be done.

Another thing to try is on your home lan, login to your router and see it allows for blocked sites. I use netgear most of the time and can add doubleclick.net to the blocked site list. might be worth a try. I'm not getting the pop ups so I can't confirm this but I have used it for other issues.

Yep, and not just ING. It's irritating as hell. Would be great if Mods could fix it.
It sure would. But to paraphrase what has been said elsewhere, that takes a different paygrade. :)

I'm sure somewhere in the internets some young nerdish type will figure a way around this.

Sorry about the issues, pop-up ads should not be running on our site. I have an iPad and tried to replicate the issue but I am in South America and I think it's being geotargeted.

Sometimes advertisers sneak in ads on a Friday knowing the ad ops teams are short handed over the weekend. I find it strange that a huge firm like ING would do this but there are so many levels of marketing on the internet is could be a dirty/aggressive lead generation firm that is doing this. If the issue does not resolve itself by the end of day on Monday I'll contact Google Adsense to ask them what's up.

If possible, can you let me know the destination where you end up if you click?

Back
Top Bottom