Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most popular suggestion ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Well, does anyone here believe that the OP, as an occasional poster would have enough cred to make the mods consider his/her suggestion? Even before--but especially after 70+ "No" votes?
I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's about "cred," and no need to slight him/her as an "occasional poster." I think he/she was just floating an idea. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of floating, though, it went over about as well as a turd in a punchbowl.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #82

I enjoy the mix here. In real-life conversation, there are always a variety of personalities: people who are long winded, short and to the point, pithy, rambling, succinct, analytic, incoherent... I've seen it all here. There are also times when two or three members get into a detailed discussion on something and go back and forth at length. Since there is the option to block a poster (I myself haven't done it yet!) I can't see how limiting posting would do any good except shut down conversation and create ill will.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not how much you post, but what you post that should or should not be limited .
Old 07-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #84

Quote:
Well, does anyone here believe that the OP, as an occasional poster would have enough cred to make the mods consider his/her suggestion? Even before--but especially after 70+ "No" votes?
I also posted that I would prefer not to have a limit on posts, but I'm strongly in favor of anyone - whether an occasional poster or a prolific regular poster - being able to make suggestions. I highly value the open and inclusive nature of the community and it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable that an unpopular suggestion has drawn comments about the "cred" of the poster.

I value the community of posters here, in large part because we are mostly united in our support of FIRE, but are otherwise a diverse lot who do NOT all think the same. I'm glad so many people also prefer not to limit posts, but I hope we do not limit ideas, even unpopular ones, from being posted. Civilly, that is. Many thanks to mods.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:30 AM   #85
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
From my first post, I initiated a self-imposed limit to the number of posts I would permit myself per year. So far, I've managed to stay well below that limit.
You made me laugh out loud with this, good one.
HappyMinimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:45 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I also posted that I would prefer not to have a limit on posts, but I'm strongly in favor of anyone - whether an occasional poster or a prolific regular poster - being able to make suggestions. I highly value the open and inclusive nature of the community and it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable that an unpopular suggestion has drawn comments about the "cred" of the poster.

I value the community of posters here, in large part because we are mostly united in our support of FIRE, but are otherwise a diverse lot who do NOT all think the same. I'm glad so many people also prefer not to limit posts, but I hope we do not limit ideas, even unpopular ones, from being posted. Civilly, that is. Many thanks to mods.
Agreed, and I did not mean to denigrate the OP's suggestion.

My comment was more toward the voters who may have feared the mod's consideration of implementation.

Equating posting regularity with cred was unintentional. But forgive me! I live in a town where you're not considered a local unless your great-grandfather also lived here.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I enjoy the mix here. In real-life conversation, there are always a variety of personalities: people who are long winded, short and to the point, pithy, rambling, succinct, analytic, incoherent... I've seen it all here. There are also times when two or three members get into a detailed discussion on something and go back and forth at length. Since there is the option to block a poster (I myself haven't done it yet!) I can't see how limiting posting would do any good except shut down conversation and create ill will.
+1

Sometimes, those threads in which a few members get into a detailed discussion can be interesting and informative. A posting limit, as well as reducing the less substantial chitter-chatter, could also cut down on the more meaningful exchanges.

Besides, I quite like frivolous banter

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
.... Besides, I quite like frivolous banter
Well.... in that case, you have found your spot!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Dang those occasional posters! String 'em up!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if the OP was being serious or just throwing out fodder for us...

But HECK NO....

Evan an occasional poster sometimes has questions and to flesh out what they really want to know others ask questions... sometimes an OP will post 10 times (maybe more) just on their one question.... having a limit means that can take days and others have moved on and the question never does get answered...

As others have pointed out... there are many ways for you to deal with the posts you do not like.... like ignoring them....

BTW, I have done some research on some other things and have come across a forum for it... and sometimes there are a whole whopping 10 posts a MONTH from everybody!!! Not a place I want to be...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #91

I liken this forum to a diverse group of colleagues gathering at a local coffee shop to meet up and have polite discussions on most any topic (BTW, my local coffee shop serves wine and beer). I'm glad it's not a road house where a shot of liquor every 15 minutes is expected and hourly fights out back are the goal! Plenty of those on the web.

I wouldn't want myself or one of my peers to be told, "That's three, stifle yourself for the day!"

And to OP, no harm in tossing out the idea. Hopefully (and I believe) all sensible ideas are welcome here.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #92
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Blessed is the man,
who having nothing to say,
abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.

George Eliot
Never figgered this out...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneparkatatime View Post
I find this to be a well-moderated, highly functional forum with no changes needed.
+1. I don't see a need for changes, and it's easy enough to read as much or as little as I want.

There's always ignore as others have mentioned. I tried ignore for a while years ago, but found it unnecessary (and 7 of the 8 I had on ignore left on their own long ago), and don't use it anymore.

Besides, I don't know but I assume forums rely on hits/traffic to pay for themselves. And there's nothing wrong with that IMO. It takes work to build and maintain a site like this, and some folks are doing it voluntary-gratis? I'm thankful for ER.org, I've learned a lot here.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an infrequent poster but I vote no as well. H
Most healthy, active message boards that I participate in have a subset of members who provide a disproportionate number of posts, but that is good. Someone needs to keep the place alive. A forum made up of virtual introverts would seem like a wasteland.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Blessed is the man,

George Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Where I'm from they would say,

"If y'ive nowt worth sayin, then shut yer gob!"
Old 07-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm willing to cut back on my posts. Please don't limit lurking though!
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #97

Quote:
Blessed is the man,

George Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Where I'm from they would say,

"If y'ive nowt worth sayin, then shut yer gob!"
"Better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"
Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #98

Quote:
I have noticed that nothing I never said ever did me any harm.
Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #99

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

I wonder if the Pareto 80/20 rule holds regarding posts.

I'm not sure of the OPs motives, but I sometimes get tired of reading the same posters who seem to feel they must weigh in on everything. I know, use ignore.

But I believe in freedom, and any more rules would detract from forum.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Just a cotton-picking minute! I never said that! You must have misheard me! Because I never misspoke!