Join Early Retirement Today

New Comprehensive Ignore System
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Administrator

New Comprehensive Ignore System

Based on your feedback from this thread we have developed a new more comprehensive ignore system. This new system allows you to ignore forums, threads, and threads started by people on your ignore list. It currently ignores these items when you are browsing the forums (you don't see threads or forums you have ignored), in search results, on New Post link or Today's Posts. It also skips them if you are using the next/previous thread links at the end of the threads.

To select a forum to hide you need to select the Forum Tools drop down and then select hide forum (see attachment). To select a thread to hide, use the Thread tools drop down and select hide thread (see attachment), to ignore threads started by people on your ignore list, go to the bottom left of the User CP where you will see a settings link and check off the box to ignore their threads.

Once you have ignored these forums and discussions you will not be able to see them in case you want to unignore them. So if you do want to unignore them there are tool in the bottom left of the UserCP to manage the items you have selected to ignore.

This is being rolled out as Beta software right now and your feedback is very important for us so we can make sure it's working 100% properly. So please post your feedback here (good and bad). Please note this feature does not prevent items from being hidden on the portal page but we are working on that. So please be patient while we address the second half of this project.

So now if you don't like the politics forum, just hide it. Same goes with off topic, travel, etc... If you chose not to hear anymore about an ignore system feel free to hide this thread too !

Regards,

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: gif ignore threads by ignore list.gif (8.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif ignore usercp.gif (4.9 KB, 323 views)
File Type: gif ignore thread.gif (10.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif ignore forum.gif (10.4 KB, 321 views)
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Andy. This rocks!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #3

Thanks Andy. I put a couple of forums on ignore already.

This will make postings even easier to read.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is awesome, once I figured out I had to read the directions!
And just noticed the photo album and friend feature as well--fancy, fancy!
Thanks Andy! Yay! No more politics! Yay!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

So far, so good! Just need people to start soapbox threads in that forum.

Thanks!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Only problem I see so far is that it doesnt seem to work with the portal page, which I use a lot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
It also skips them if you are using the next/previous thread links at the end of the threads.
I used 'next thread' and it took me to an ignored thread.

When I clicked on Thread Tools to be certain I had ignored it, one of the options was 'Un-ignore Thread'.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Administrator

ok, should be fixed..
Tech Admin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Don't know if this is related: Just hit next thread and got a blank page except for "hey" in the upper left corner.

Gone now.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

And I'm still getting ignored threads with 'un-ignore' option.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Only problem I see so far is that it doesnt seem to work with the portal page, which I use a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Please note this feature does not prevent items from being hidden on the portal page but we are working on that. So please be patient while we address the second half of this project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Don't know if this is related: Just hit next thread and got a blank page except for "hey" in the upper left corner.

Gone now.
is this still happening?
Quote:
And I'm still getting ignored threads with 'un-ignore' option.
Can you elaborate here, I am not sure I understand what you are saying? Are you saying you are still seeing threads that you have selected to ignore?

FYI - Jeff is out for a long weekend. He will be able to work next week on the portal page (removing ignored items) and the bug with the previous/next which is being caused by some SEO software. As I said in my first post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
This is being rolled out as Beta software right now and your feedback is very important for us so we can make sure it's working 100% properly.
so this feedback is great appreciated so we can get all the bugs ironed out.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I'm reading a thread.

I click on Next Thread

I get a thread I have on ignore

One of the Thread Tools options (for this ignored thread) is "Un-ignore Thread"
Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I guess I oughta start reading the text in posts instead of just looking at the pictures.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
I'm reading a thread.

I click on Next Thread

I get a thread I have on ignore

One of the Thread Tools options (for this ignored thread) is "Un-ignore Thread"
Ok, gottcha. This is a known bug, there is some kind of conflict with the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) software and the previous/next thread functionality. We will try to get this fixed next week.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Three days away from the forum, 112 updated threads. This bigger "Ignore" feature should save some time.

When you're ready to promulgate it to other vBulletin users, PriusChat.com could really use your help...

Do you really need the SEO feature? E-R.org is bubbling up to the top of most ER keyword searches all by itself, right?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Three days away from the forum, 112 updated threads. This bigger "Ignore" feature should save some time.
Great, please post your feedback.
Quote:
When you're ready to promulgate it to other vBulletin users, PriusChat.com could really use your help...
We are releasing a lot of the added functionality we have been developing in a quasi OpenSource way to give back to the developer community. This is not only the right thing to do but also allows us to get input on these features from a broader user base and hopefully continue to expand the functionality and have more robust testing. Here is the link to the Product where it has been released on vBulletin.org. Feel free to pass it on the Prius Chat folks.
Comprehensive Ignore System - vBulletin.org Forum

Man, I keep driving my 10 year old Cherokee since I am in the States so little but when I return I really want to get a Prius. I have been to Prius Chat (even tried to buy it a while back), it's a great site.
Quote:
Do you really need the SEO feature? E-R.org is bubbling up to the top of most ER keyword searches all by itself, right?
Well we have to figure out the fix here. The SEO software rewrites the URLs and other odds and ends and is really not something you can go back and turn off. It's one of these "set it and forget it" deals. It has been very effective, thus the rapid growth we have experienced in the last 14 months. If you turn it off all the links in the search engines will break and people will get a 404 error. We are past the point of return on this one.

I was kind of bummed to see us drop to #3 in Google for the term "Early Retirement". I get a kick out of SEO and trying to reach that #1 spot.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great job with the ignore.

However, post counts are wacky when you have a forum ignored and then you page through "New Posts". For instance:

Showing results 51 to 50 of 50
Search took 0.02 seconds. Search: New Posts
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #18

I've noticed the post count wackiness at as well. It may say something like "showing 35 of 40 posts" but there is no page 2 for me to see the last 5 postings.

I'm assuming those are posts from my ignored forums or threads.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, we will be working on fixing bugs and trying to add some more functionality this week. I'll post an update as when a new version has been released.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
Administrator

Just a quick note to let you know that we are working on a few things and will have to disable some features for brief moments to test. Hopefully you wont even notice but it's possible you might see an error/ignored thread for just a minute or two while the testing is done.