Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a member of Bogleheads and this forum, I have found a few features which differ between the two forums. Most are small and meaningless, but there is one which has caused me a little inconvenience over the years.

When I click on a sub-forum, such as this one, any thread which I have not viewed before is shown in bold, while any I have viewed before are shown in a lighter font. But, when I click on "New Posts," it shows only the ones I haven't viewed yet. Therefore, if I viewed a thread but wanted to return to it later on to read it some more, or to post a reply, I have to remember its subject or title or which sub-forum it was in so I can find it again. That can be no small feat if I haven't posted to it before (if I had, I could find it through a simple Search function).

Bogleheads keeps a previously viewed thread in its list of New Posts but unbolds the read/unread icon, like what you do here when viewing the sub-forum list. Is there any way that policy can be extended to the "New Posts" list so the thread title won't disappear simply after the thread has been read?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In another forum, they offer the option of showing threads containing Unread posts. That would satisfy your need. It would be a great option, particularly because whenever you view private messages, it resets the new posts flag.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

It has already been announced here that the current forum software is due for replacement in the fairly near future, so I kind of doubt that any significant changes have much of a chance of implementation.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you click on Portal, you get the newest threads, whether read or not. I think this is what you are looking for, isn't it?

I would prefer not to change the "New Posts" functions as I prefer to see only the new threads that I have not read. I don't see another way to do that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Here is the lnk I use: Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Search Results

IIRC it took some fiddling around to find due to the way vBulletin handles links but it works fine.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

RunningBum, I was looking for a list with all the thread info such as author, date, etc. OldShooter, that's what I was looking for! It took a little doing to paste the generic link into my Favorites list, but I got it done. Thanks a bunch!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Administrator

Take a look under the quick links drop down menu for todays posts. That's a list of all the recent posts including ones you've read. The new posts link only displays new content that you have not viewed.

Regarding a forum software change - yes, it's coming although there is no eta yet. We've been holding off for a variety of reasons; don't want to be early adopters, hassle factor, etc...
Old 07-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
RunningBum, I was looking for a list with all the thread info such as author, date, etc. OldShooter, that's what I was looking for! It took a little doing to paste the generic link into my Favorites list, but I got it done. Thanks a bunch!
Here is the trick:

When you click a button like "Today's Posts" many forum softwares convert that to a serial-numbered search: Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Search Results It does no good to bookmark that url because either it will get you the same results as you got last time or it will be expired and won't work at all.

So what you have to do is right click your favorite search button (or list item) and "Copy Link Location" then paste that into a bookmark by editing properties. Usually I just bookmark the serial numbered search, then edit and paste the button URL over that useless URL. Everythin else in Properties stays the same.

Sometimes it is a little harder to figure out the syntax, especially if there is no button for the search you want. In that case is sometimes works to find another forum running the same software and having the button you want, then emulating that syntax to make your desired bookmark.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Take a look under the quick links drop down menu for todays posts. That's a list of all the recent posts including ones you've read. The new posts link only displays new content that you have not viewed.

Regarding a forum software change - yes, it's coming although there is no eta yet. We've been holding off for a variety of reasons; don't want to be early adopters, hassle factor, etc...
This seems to do the same thing OldShooter described, but without the minor hoops to jump through.

And OldShooter, I pasted the original link into Notepad so it would appear unchanged, then pasted it again into a Favorites link. But I like Janet's solution better. Doesn't it do the same as what you do?

Old 07-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Two clicks instead of one.

Actually IIRC that is where I found the search syntax.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I really like this forum design. It's MUCH better than what they use over on the Bogleheads forum.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All these workarounds only do the last 24 hours. I need it most when I have been away for several days...
Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Remember, I was only looking for a way to view a recently added-to thread if I had already viewed it. This doesn't happen very often. Very rarely do I view a recently added-to thread then want to go back right away and view it again. The suggestions made by O-S and Janet will work for me in those rare instances. Otherwise, I will keep using the "New Posts" link to view recently added-to-threads initially. If I am away for a while, and haven't viewed any threads, then "New Posts" will bring up all those threads, perhaps a long list of them. But it won't hide any of them.