Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, just tried to post from Brave (Chromium), and got a totally white screen after "Submit".

Just read of similar havoc caused by Google when they pushed an unknown update to all browsers.
https://www.techradar.com/news/googl...-how-to-fix-it

Could be relevant in some crazy way. For me, Chrome is all good. Brave and Firefox are not so good.

Gonna try clearing the old COOKEEZ followed by one finger power reboot.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Using Chrome here on an iPad, and no problems.

Using IPad Mini and get Chrome "aw snap" ten times a day
Old 11-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

If/when someone figures this out, please post. I am able to get on with Edge that I use as a backup for problems with Chrome. But not very convenient. Thanks
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Interesting, just tried to post from Brave (Chromium), and got a totally white screen after "Submit".
That happens to me when using Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
For me, Chrome is all good. Brave and Firefox are not so good.
For me, Firefox is good while Chrome is not good.

I've cleared my cache and cookies on Chrome and still the problem continues.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
If/when someone figures this out, please post. I am able to get on with Edge that I use as a backup for problems with Chrome. But not very convenient. Thanks
At least for me I have figured this out.

I have only tested in Chrome, but I noticed that I could view the site fine in incognito mode. While in incognito mode I do not receive the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.

I took a look at the extensions I have enabled, one of which is Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials. That extension turned out to be the involved in the generation of this error.

All extensions have an option to enable them in incognito mode(by default extensions don't load in incognito mode). I enabled this extension for incognito mode and then I began getting the same redirect error while in incognito mode as I was previously when not in incognito mode.

I then went back and disabled the extension overall and the site began working as expected in normal or incognito mode with the extension disabled.
compounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by compounder View Post

I have only tested in Chrome, but I noticed that I could view the site fine in incognito mode. While in incognito mode I do not receive the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.

I took a look at the extensions I have enabled, one of which is Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials. That extension turned out to be the involved in the generation of this error.

All extensions have an option to enable them in incognito mode(by default extensions don't load in incognito mode). I enabled this extension for incognito mode and then I began getting the same redirect error while in incognito mode as I was previously when not in incognito mode.

I then went back and disabled the extension overall and the site began working as expected in normal or incognito mode with the extension disabled.

I disabled the Duck Duck Go Privacy Extension in Firefox, and that seems to have rectified the problem. I don't remember enabling this extension.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I disabled the Duck Duck Go extension in Chrome, and if this posts, it looks like that also solved my problem.

I've been using the extension for months but they obviously changed something that caused the problem. Odd that I saw no problem on any other site other than E-R.org.

Thanks compounder for figuring this out and posting the "cure".

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #28

I disabled the Duck Duck Go extension in Chrome, and if this posts, it looks like that also solved my problem.

I've been using the extension for months but they obviously changed something that caused the problem. Odd that I saw no problem on any other site other than E-R.org.

Thanks compounder for figuring this out and posting the "cure".

Thanks REWahoo. If this works, disabling worked for me. But now, I will need a new search engine.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #29

I still use Duck Duck Go as a search engine in Firefox (set as the default engine). I just disabled the Duck Duck Go Privacy extension and now this site works fine.

I always thought the privacy extension was an addition to the Duck Duck Go browser, just as private browsing is an option in Firefox. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding!
- Rita
Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by compounder View Post

Good job! Another great internet mystery resolved.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #31

You don't have to disable the extension if you don't want to, there is a whitelist under options. Enter early-retirement.org.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #32

I think this is now working on Duck Duck go, if this posts. Thanks for the great response.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, me too apparently. I've been running DuckDuckGo's plugin for years and this is the first time EVER I've run into this.

I'm showing the last update to the plugin as being back in September and yet this "issue" just cropped up in the last day or so, so it's looking like something HERE is now blocking the usage of incognito mode plugins.

In order to access this site, I have to turn off my incognito plugin?

This is kind of disturbing.

ETA: and now I know why... there are 4+ tracker programs being run by this site. In addition, it's getting a "D" privacy rating due to that, the lack of encrypted connection and some other black marks. What gives? I guess be careful about sharing any details here, but it's likely similar to any other place now days.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't find where to disable in duck duck go app
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyWife View Post
In your browser, there should be a little icon (I'm in firefox, and it's located in the upper right). On mine, it looks like a small circle with a letter grade/color. Since the site has issues, it's grade is "D" and the circle is red for me.

Click on that to open the DuckDuckGO info. Near the lower part of that window, is a "Manage whitelist sites" link. Click it, and it will open a new window.

Click the link "add to whitelist site" and enter this site's address and then click the button to confirm the addition. Reload the page and it should work again.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyWife View Post
If you are using chrome...

You can type this in the address/url bar (without the quotation marks) "chrome://extensions"

Loading that will show you all your installed extensions.
There is a toggle there to turn each extension on or off.

If you just want to whitelist the early-retirement.org site and not shut it off entirely:
1) Click the details button for the extension
2) then towards the bottom click on Extension options -> then click "Add site to whitelist"
3) and type in early-retirement.org and
4) click the now enabled Add to whitelist" button.

This should do it.
compounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Still getting the error every time using Firefox. Here not via a completely insecure old copy of Safari.

In Safari I block "cookies from unvisited websites."

This needs to be fixed, I cannot get to ANY content beyond the Forum index page. Even when an email update tries to take me directly to the last post.

>
The page isnít redirecting properly

An error occurred during a connection to www.early-retirement.org.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
>
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
In your browser, there should be a little icon (I'm in firefox, and it's located in the upper right). On mine, it looks like a small circle with a letter grade/color. Since the site has issues, it's grade is "D" and the circle is red for me.

Click on that to open the DuckDuckGO info. Near the lower part of that window, is a "Manage whitelist sites" link. Click it, and it will open a new window.

Click the link "add to whitelist site" and enter this site's address and then click the button to confirm the addition. Reload the page and it should work again.

That appears to have done the trick for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not use duck duck go anything but do use FF and can't use it today. I get the same error about cookies. Nothing has changed abut my end that I know of since yesterday, when it worked fine.

Edited - I just noticed my FF said it had updated but restart was needed. Doing that seems to have fixed it. Am on 72.0.2
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Firefox uses the DuckDuckGo search engine by default. You should also see the privacy extension. It's one thing I have mixed feelings about in Firefox.

This did get fiexed in the latest version 72.0.2 released today. I guess it can be proved by updating, removing the white list filter, and restarting.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote