page not loading - (solved - see post #25

At least for me I have figured this out.

I have only tested in Chrome, but I noticed that I could view the site fine in incognito mode. While in incognito mode I do not receive the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.

I took a look at the extensions I have enabled, one of which is Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials. That extension turned out to be the involved in the generation of this error.

All extensions have an option to enable them in incognito mode(by default extensions don't load in incognito mode). I enabled this extension for incognito mode and then I began getting the same redirect error while in incognito mode as I was previously when not in incognito mode.

I then went back and disabled the extension overall and the site began working as expected in normal or incognito mode with the extension disabled.

I disabled the Duck Duck Go Privacy Extension in Firefox, and that seems to have rectified the problem. I don't remember enabling this extension.

I disabled the Duck Duck Go extension in Chrome, and if this posts, it looks like that also solved my problem.

I've been using the extension for months but they obviously changed something that caused the problem. Odd that I saw no problem on any other site other than E-R.org.

Thanks compounder for figuring this out and posting the "cure".

I disabled the Duck Duck Go extension in Chrome, and if this posts, it looks like that also solved my problem.

I've been using the extension for months but they obviously changed something that caused the problem. Odd that I saw no problem on any other site other than E-R.org.

Thanks compounder for figuring this out and posting the "cure".

Thanks REWahoo. If this works, disabling worked for me. But now, I will need a new search engine.

I still use Duck Duck Go as a search engine in Firefox (set as the default engine). I just disabled the Duck Duck Go Privacy extension and now this site works fine.

I always thought the privacy extension was an addition to the Duck Duck Go browser, just as private browsing is an option in Firefox. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding!
- Rita

At least for me I have figured this out.

I have only tested in Chrome, but I noticed that I could view the site fine in incognito mode. While in incognito mode I do not receive the TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.

I took a look at the extensions I have enabled, one of which is Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials. That extension turned out to be the involved in the generation of this error.

All extensions have an option to enable them in incognito mode(by default extensions don't load in incognito mode). I enabled this extension for incognito mode and then I began getting the same redirect error while in incognito mode as I was previously when not in incognito mode.

I then went back and disabled the extension overall and the site began working as expected in normal or incognito mode with the extension disabled.
Good job! Another great internet mystery resolved.

You don't have to disable the extension if you don't want to, there is a whitelist under options. Enter early-retirement.org.

I think this is now working on Duck Duck go, if this posts. Thanks for the great response.

Well, me too apparently. I've been running DuckDuckGo's plugin for years and this is the first time EVER I've run into this.

I'm showing the last update to the plugin as being back in September and yet this "issue" just cropped up in the last day or so, so it's looking like something HERE is now blocking the usage of incognito mode plugins.

In order to access this site, I have to turn off my incognito plugin?

This is kind of disturbing.

ETA: and now I know why... there are 4+ tracker programs being run by this site. In addition, it's getting a "D" privacy rating due to that, the lack of encrypted connection and some other black marks. What gives? I guess be careful about sharing any details here, but it's likely similar to any other place now days. :(

Last edited:
I can't find where to disable in duck duck go app

In your browser, there should be a little icon (I'm in firefox, and it's located in the upper right). On mine, it looks like a small circle with a letter grade/color. Since the site has issues, it's grade is "D" and the circle is red for me.

Click on that to open the DuckDuckGO info. Near the lower part of that window, is a "Manage whitelist sites" link. Click it, and it will open a new window.

Click the link "add to whitelist site" and enter this site's address and then click the button to confirm the addition. Reload the page and it should work again.

I can't find where to disable in duck duck go app

If you are using chrome...

You can type this in the address/url bar (without the quotation marks) "chrome://extensions"

Loading that will show you all your installed extensions.
There is a toggle there to turn each extension on or off.

If you just want to whitelist the early-retirement.org site and not shut it off entirely:
1) Click the details button for the extension
2) then towards the bottom click on Extension options -> then click "Add site to whitelist"
3) and type in early-retirement.org and
4) click the now enabled Add to whitelist" button.

This should do it. :)

Still getting the error every time using Firefox. Here not via a completely insecure old copy of Safari.

In Safari I block "cookies from unvisited websites."

This needs to be fixed, I cannot get to ANY content beyond the Forum index page. Even when an email update tries to take me directly to the last post.

>
The page isn’t redirecting properly

An error occurred during a connection to www.early-retirement.org.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
>

In your browser, there should be a little icon (I'm in firefox, and it's located in the upper right). On mine, it looks like a small circle with a letter grade/color. Since the site has issues, it's grade is "D" and the circle is red for me.

Click on that to open the DuckDuckGO info. Near the lower part of that window, is a "Manage whitelist sites" link. Click it, and it will open a new window.

Click the link "add to whitelist site" and enter this site's address and then click the button to confirm the addition. Reload the page and it should work again.

That appears to have done the trick for me.

I do not use duck duck go anything but do use FF and can't use it today. I get the same error about cookies. Nothing has changed abut my end that I know of since yesterday, when it worked fine.

Edited - I just noticed my FF said it had updated but restart was needed. Doing that seems to have fixed it. Am on 72.0.2

Last edited:
Firefox uses the DuckDuckGo search engine by default. You should also see the privacy extension. It's one thing I have mixed feelings about in Firefox.

This did get fiexed in the latest version 72.0.2 released today. I guess it can be proved by updating, removing the white list filter, and restarting.

I don't use the default search engine. And I do not have the privacy extension. Still though FF has been problematic on other sites of late as well. Corrected the typo in my prior post to 72.0.2 though. Still its getting to be where FF is a nuisance and I really hate chrome.

Last edited:
Well, me too apparently. I've been running DuckDuckGo's plugin for years and this is the first time EVER I've run into this.

I'm showing the last update to the plugin as being back in September and yet this "issue" just cropped up in the last day or so, so it's looking like something HERE is now blocking the usage of incognito mode plugins.

In order to access this site, I have to turn off my incognito plugin?

This is kind of disturbing.

ETA: and now I know why... there are 4+ tracker programs being run by this site. In addition, it's getting a "D" privacy rating due to that, the lack of encrypted connection and some other black marks. What gives? I guess be careful about sharing any details here, but it's likely similar to any other place now days. :(

My updated version of Fire Fox still doesn't work. I don't have any extensions or add-ons installed. I still can't get in except using an old version of Internet Explorer. My guess what FrankiesGirl posted above is the reason.

Why are there so many tracker programs being run and why isn't the connection encrypted on this site? This is the only site where I have been having this problem and I agree this is kinda disturbing and disappointing.

My updated version of Fire Fox still doesn't work. I don't have any extensions or add-ons installed. I still can't get in except using an old version of Internet Explorer. My guess what FrankiesGirl posted above is the reason.
Glad I found this thread! I suddenly started having the problem about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Using Firefox. Have DuckDuckGo as my default browser. Switched back to Google, tried turning off AdBlock, not using any DuckDuckGo extension that I know of, have updated Firefox versions twice since the problem first occurred. All no-go. Everything was stable with no recent changes when it went kaput. Am using Edge only to get to this website. Don't like Edge, I suspect no matter what I have set in options, Microsoft is using me.

So I'm stuck like Corporate ORphan is.

The page not found/too many redirects was worked around using the info in post #31, white listing early-retirement.org.

The problem isn't FF or duckduckgo... they are trying to run a tight ship. The problem is this site allowing the trackers/ads for revenue generation (nothing is ever really "free"... how much are you paying to use this site again?). The FF/DDG/extension blocks the trackers, so you need to give in an allow the trackers by whitelisting this site.

The page not found/too many redirects was worked around using the info in post #31, white listing early-retirement.org.

The problem isn't FF or duckduckgo... they are trying to run a tight ship. The problem is this site allowing the trackers/ads for revenue generation (nothing is ever really "free"... how much are you paying to use this site again?). The FF/DDG/extension blocks the trackers, so you need to give in an allow the trackers by whitelisting this site.

Or find some other sourse of cheap amusement, instead of ER forum.

Back
Top Bottom