Performance Issue

misanman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MS Windows is warning me that a "Performance issue detected. The memory usage of some of your background tabs is high. Either Sleep or Close the tabs."

The only tab listed is "Early Retirement".

This is the first time I've seen this but thought I'd pass it along as a possible issue with the application

MS Windows is warning me that a "Performance issue detected. The memory usage of some of your background tabs is high. Either Sleep or Close the tabs."

The only tab listed is "Early Retirement".

This is the first time I've seen this but thought I'd pass it along as a possible issue with the application

Open Windows task manager (right click the taskbar, or press Control+Alt+Delete), select the Processes tab, then click the CPU column header to sort by usage. This will let you see which applications are using the most processor time.

Odds are it's just a browser window or something that didn't close correctly. Restarting your computer should resolve those issues.

You can also look at the Performance tab to see how much CPU, memory, or disk drives are being used. Restart and compare.

It's also possible you have a virus or malware running in the background. Sounds like a good time to run a full system scan.

Good luck!

A couple of other things:

Windoze has always had "memory leaks." What happens, basically, is that an application (aka "process") requests some memory from the OS but forgets to return it when it terminates. This lost memory builds up until the system is rebooted.

Also check startup apps. Lots of publishers like to insert themselves in the boot process and have their applications available in the background, making it look like they start very fast. Many apps also like to have startup apps that check in with the mother ship for various reasons, most notably to check for software updates. MS makes it easy to shut these off. Be aggressive about it. You won't hurt anything and if shutting one down causes problems you can easily reinstate it. Cleaning up the startup apps file is like cleaning cow barns. It is no fun but it has to be done periodically. Type "startup apps" in the search bar to get started.

Back
Top Bottom