Join Early Retirement Today

Photobucket images - not for forum use
Old 07-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Administrator

Photobucket images - not for forum use

Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, JanetH.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Totally over my head... but thanks for all you do.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Janet!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.
I dont know how to post a photo, so thats why I dont have one. I couldnt even begin to google what that means. Im thinking I have a face for radio anyway.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I did not know that.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I dont know how to post a photo, so thats why I dont have one. I couldnt even begin to google what that means. Im thinking I have a face for radio anyway.

I think Janet was referring to photos that are in a posting, not a person's image under their name (like my Sunset).

Photos like this one, the rare sideways wild Lily :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170717_16_03_12_Pro.jpg (545.4 KB, 22 views)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think Janet was referring to photos that are in a posting, not a person's image under their name (like my Sunset).

Photos like this one, the rare sideways wild Lily :
Yes anything I take in portrait some piece of software rotates it to landscape when posted here. Answer only post landscape photos.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket...
Well, the horse already left the barn. Links to Photobucket do not work anymore.

I had been using photobucket and posting links from here to my photos. Been doing that for years, and recently Photobucket blocked it, and only allowed it if I paid $400/year.

As I am not going to spend that money, all the photos I linked to stopped showing. See my thread on the Travel forum, where all the photos are now gone.

I can understand their decision. They cannot make money from embedded links, yet it costs them bandwidth and storage. But $400/year?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, the horse already left the barn. Links to Photobucket do not work anymore.

I had been using photobucket and posting links from here to my photos. Been doing that for years, and recently Photobucket blocked it, and only allowed it if I paid $400/year.

As I am not going to spend that money, all the photos I linked to stopped showing. See my thread on the Travel forum, where all the photos are now gone.

I can understand their decision. They cannot make money from embedded links, yet it costs them bandwidth and storage. But $400/year?
I guess it's where we see this:

I find it ironic they allow embedding of this, sort of a catch-22 for them.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

From the new terms:
Quote:
If a free account Member has engaged in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting and subsequently receives a notice from Photobucket stating that their free account is not eligible for such services and their ability to use image linking and 3rd party image hosting has been restricted or suspended, they will need to become a Plus Account Member by selecting the appropriate Plus Account (not all Plus Accounts allow image linking or 3rd party image hosting so please select carefully). Alternatively, they may always log into their Photobucket account, download their images and use a non-Photobucket resource for such services in the future.
I'll just eliminate the extra step of uploading to Photobucket. My 3T HD is only half full. Don't remember why I started using it in the first place.

$400? Gotta be kiddin'!

Kinda stinky to do it in this fashion... like NW-Bound, some of us have shared our presence here on ER through the use of those photos, to explain, or connect with other members over the course of years.

In the same vein, I have shared through pictures, memories, with friends and relatives, knowing that they have used the links to keep access to our times together.

Test:[/IMG]

Ummm... I must be missing something? or maybe they haven't caught up with me yet...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I believe that Photobucket is not turning off all accounts at once.

When I saw that the linking stopped working for me in that travel thread a few days ago, I searched the Web, and some people reported the same problem much earlier.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A few days ago, I saw that the links to the photos on my photobucket account were working again. See my thread on travel, or the photo of Château de Chambord that I posted and "borrowed" by Sunset in a post above this one.

However, I cannot make new links to them, whether previously uploaded or new ones.

That's a better policy from photobucket. They allow previous links to be grandfathered in, but for new ones I will have to pay $400/month.

"No photos for you" says photobucket.

Sorry guys, but I am not going to spend that much money despite my preference to post photos to juice up my posts. I have been easily the poster who links the most photos, either my own or borrowed off the Web, to show people what I am talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

PS. I look into the photo storage of the forum. The limit is something like 60 photos, if I read it right. That's so puny. As I said earlier, if I won the big lottery, I would donate money to the forum to have gigantic servers with pentabytes of storage.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry guys, but I am not going to spend that much money despite my preference to post photos to juice up my posts.
Why not use another photo hosting service? Here's a test of Dropshots. I don't keep my photos there, but just upload those that I want to link to in posts:

Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why not use another photo hosting service? Here's a test of Dropshots. I don't keep my photos there, but just upload those that I want to link to in posts:
Looking back at Janet's message, I think the reason to stop using outside websites to link messages is the concern other sites will follow the lead of Photobucket resulting in the loss of photos from existing threads. Attaching photos here will allow the forum software to store the images, preventing third party sites from screwing things up.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looking back at Janet's message, I think the reason to stop using outside websites to link messages is the concern other sites will follow the lead of Photobucket resulting in the loss of photos from existing threads. Attaching photos here will allow the forum software to store the images, preventing third party sites from screwing things up.
..... Oh.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I did open an account at Imgur. However, there's no guarantee that some time down the road the same thing will not happen as with photobucket.

As to including photos in the post, I do not like that because the posts are locked from editing after a few hours. And album space allowed for each forum member is puny as I noted earlier.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

By the way, the reason photobucket cracks down is not the storage space for the photos; it's the bandwidth that their servers incur in sending the photos via the embedded links.

I guess my travel photos were a hit here.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
PS. I look into the photo storage of the forum. The limit is something like 60 photos, if I read it right. That's so puny. As I said earlier, if I won the big lottery, I would donate money to the forum to have gigantic servers with pentabytes of storage.

You can upload an unlimited number of images directly to posts AND you can also load 200 pictures into an album in your profile area. You can have multiple albums.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Come on, Janet, take his money!!!