Please, take a breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Over the last several days the worst has come out in some of the posters and other posters have tired of the bad behavior. We have participants who do not want to post on a certain topic because it will be derailed by another poster who repeatedly posts variations of the same post on the issue. We have posters leaving. We have insults posted on goodbye threads. We have posters frustrated with what they perceive as uninformed posts but instead of addressing the issue, they react with personal attacks. We have posters who are good posters but when receiving an infraction refuse to change their behavior and either leave or do more of the same. Odds are it is due in part to the political season and the political posts tend to be the most problematic.

We can continue to issue infractions and some of you will get mad and leave. You don't have to do that. Maybe take a break for a few days. Put the Soapbox on ignore. Report problematic posts to the moderators for us to deal with.

Suggestion: get rid of the soapbox toxic waste board.

Thank you for this Martha.
This group here has shown that with discipline one can not only get ones financial house in order but can FIRE. These skills are very much needed these days by more and more people. People who will come here seeking advice and information about how that is done.

As for me, I feel that this country has some challenging times ahead and this is not a time to be at each others throat. A house divided........ need I complete that thought? Regardless of whom is elected or where we stand on the issues we all will have to roll up our sleeves to get the job done to meet those challenges. Last time I looked this was the United States of America and we should never forget that.

To second Martha's post. Everyone relax and take a break before posting something inflammatory. Yesterday was the full moon so today everyone will calm down, right?

Wow.

I know I hardly ever poke my head in here any longer, but I always think of you guys as the core -- I'd hate to hear of long term posters leaving, but I also know that you have to moderate firmly and without bias, or you get chaos...

I have not dug into any threads to see what the ruckus is about, but I would just appeal for rationality, and for what Martha suggests -- don't say something you can't take back, or storm out in a snit -- just take some time away.

I spend a lot of time on Bogleheads, and there is NO O/t and NO politics there, and that's fine, but frankly a little bland, so I liked the idea that there was still an 'old school board' that could tie it all together, including politics, personal struggles, ribbing type humor, etc.

Don't lose it guys. Hang in there. You have too much history, too much culture, and too many miles passed together to let a fracture develop that could have been mended.

I am truly amazed at what will set people off.

No, that is the E-R Forum fly trap.

I would rather have all the degenerate lowlifes spend their time there because every second they spend there is one less second they spend on the good forums.

Besides, now that we can ignore that entire combat zone, the critters that occupy that place bother me as much as a group of Chinese bakers yelling obscenities at me in Mandarin while floating in a paddle boat in the Yangtze River on a cloudy Thursday in June.

I'm with Brewer, it's all opinions and everyones got one. Just doesn't make for a good out come. I like to stay on the threads with facts not opinions.

I have a solution. Anyone feeling testy or annoyed with other people on an internet forum just go do a bunch of major renovations on your house... ;)

We could keep it and those who don't want to be involved can ignore it.

Otherwise, if we remove the soapbox then I think we would need to say no more political posts unless they directly relate to ER or at least R.

Yesterday was the full moon so today everyone will calm down, right?

I was wondering why my beard and finger nails grew several inches yesterday. :-\ BTW, I didn't realize we had a problem until Dex departed. Of course I stay out of the Soap Box too.

We could keep it and those who don't want to be involved can ignore it.

Otherwise, if we remove the soapbox then I think we would need to say no more political posts unless they directly relate to ER or at least R.

This gets my vote. There are tons of places on the net to have political food fights. No need for that here IMO.

I have enjoyed some of the long, sometimes intense discussions on this board and I have learned a lot from those who don't hold the same view as myself. However, I have been pretty preoccupied lately with personal stuff (work, life etc) but have also been a bit astounded at the tone and content of posts and have even felt it wasn't worth my time contributing (shock!) and have mostly thanked those who have tried to make an effort.

I hope we don't let the sour grapes ruin the bunch? or is it some other fruit?

Thanks for the OP Martha, I admire the patience and diligence of our moderators!

That's the deal Martha, let these folks go to a news forum with this stuff.

Politics and news don't need to be here. There are plenty of other places they can go if they want to discuss that venue.

The problem is, where do you draw the line between the "purely political" and the "political but related to ER/R"? Anything related to taxes, finance, health insurance, the budget deficit, deficit spending, SS, Medicare would be open season, right? What about immigration (hey, I need a job to save for retirement!), the war (hey, we're going into huge debt to finance that mess, what about my future taxes!), and on and on.

I'd love to see political threads eliminated from the forum. I just don't see how ER/R and politics can be separated in a manner that would make sense.

Not to mention all the heavy handed censorship you Naz...uh, not to mention how difficult it would be for the mods to manage. ;)

I ignore most of the 'Soap Box'. I try to refrain from post there ever, but if I do, I try to comment in a non political way. Sometimes a Soap Box thread can have some insights. Example "How will Bush be judged by history'. If you can weed through the political ranker, there were some thoughtful comments on how history and when history places judgment on a person. For me it is the insulting/condescending post in other sections of the board that I find more objectionable. I expect view points I strongly disagree with in the 'Soap Box', and while personal attacks should not be tolerated, I understand why people are passionate.

I do believe that if you stop the Soap Box, it will spread over to the main board. I am for banning political post. However, I agree with RW that this is not really practical.

Martha, for some that's easy but for some they can't help themselves. Then they get involved and the problems start.

Sort of like putting cheese in front of a mouse.

Ha! You quoted me before I deleted what I said and rewrote it. Yes, I understand because sometimes I can't help myself either.

It's a challenge, wanting to participate yet wanting to be able to stay calm. I don't know how the Dalai Lama does it. (Not that I think he is a forum member :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom