Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Post agreement counter
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Post agreement counter

In another thread, there is some talk about piling on and being repetitive in disagreement with the OP. But it seems to me that if one person disagrees and others silently concur, that can be taken by the OP and others as just one person's view. There ought to be a way to agree with a post without repetitively posting the same thing.

I've seen on some other forums where there is a + button you can click to increment a counter to publicly show you (anonymously) agree with a post. This seems like a good solution to show agreement without piling on to the OP, or just generally showing agreement or appreciate for a good post.

I've also seen a - button, but some forums don't use this as it can be used more as a weapon. If a poster don't like someone, he/she might - every one of their posts regardless of the content. So I'm only advocating for a + button but I'd be fine with both + and -.

Right now we have the Thanks button, but that's basically like a PM and does nothing to publicly show agreement. I'd say that a +counter button is more useful and could replace the Thanks button if you don't want too much clutter at the bottom.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I would also love a Thumbs Up button as it's a useful form of feedback I've gotten used to on other sites. Getting rid of the need for +1 posts would keep threads more concise and allow posters to see when others appreciate their input. There are many times I've enjoyed a post and wished there was a way to let the poster know my appreciation without having to clutter the thread with a +1 post.

I don't think we need to go as far as tracking reputation points for each member like Stackoverflow does, but the ability to thumbs up a particular post would be great.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I would like that. I would see it as more of a recommend button. That is, I might recommend a post that I didn't agree with at all if it was well written. I would not like a -1 button.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
gone traveling

we have to much time on our hands
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Knowing this crowd, we would probably see a lot of posts like:

Quote:
I would have hit the +1 button, but I don't exactly agree with the rationale expressed in the initial reply, and I need to offer my own unique and slightly different perception. That said, I agree with the first, third, and seventh responses, take violent exception to the fifth, and am completely ambivalent toward the second, fourth, and sixth. Lest I be misunderstood, let me expand on those reactions ....
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Knowing this crowd, we would probably see a lot of posts like:
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
I would have hit the +1 button, but I don't exactly agree with the rationale expressed in the initial reply, and I need to offer my own unique and slightly different perception. That said, I agree with the first, third, and seventh responses, take violent exception to the fifth, and am completely ambivalent toward the second, fourth, and sixth. Lest I be misunderstood, let me expand on those reactions ....
You failed to mention the asteroid...
Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to know who is doing the +1, even if they're not adding anything. +1 posts are pretty quick to skim over. But I haven't tried the other way.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I like to know who is doing the +1, even if they're not adding anything. +1 posts are pretty quick to skim over. But I haven't tried the other way.
Just FYI, +1 buttons can be designed so you can see who liked the post (a la Facebook or Google Plus).

+1 counts would be an interesting indicator of how many people have read a thread. I've searched but not been able to find a thread view count metric, so I'm guessing that's something that only moderators can currently see. I suspect the numbers would be impressive.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Just FYI, +1 buttons can be designed so you can see who liked the post (a la Facebook or Google Plus).

+1 counts would be an interesting indicator of how many people have read a thread. I've searched but not been able to find a thread view count metric, so I'm guessing that's something that only moderators can currently see. I suspect the numbers would be impressive.
When you open a forum, the view count can be found on the right of each thread title.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
When you open a forum, the view count can be found on the right of each thread title.
Great, thanks! Now I know why I never saw it... I never go to the Forums view; I just browse the most recent threads from the homepage.

It would be awesome if the view count were also available from within the thread itself, although I understand that is subject to the limitations of the forum software.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Another forum I am part of shows the names of the people have thanked a particular post. Although simply showing the total number of thanks would almost as good.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+%&^@h20

Contact me to purchase the secret decoder ring.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

No response from an admin/mod? The view count response was a tangent that wasn't mine and isn't a response to my request. Not that this is anything urgent or important, but some indication of whether it seems possible with the forum software and is something you'd look into would be nice.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No response from an admin/mod? The view count response was a tangent that wasn't mine and isn't a response to my request. Not that this is anything urgent or important, but some indication of whether it seems possible with the forum software and is something you'd look into would be nice.
Thanks for the suggestion, RunningBum. Duly noticed! . It is nice that members really do care about the forum and input ideas like this. We'll definitely take it into consideration, along with other suggestions that come to our attention from time to time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
+1!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No response from an admin/mod? .
Before W2R responded, I was going to suggest maybe they have you on ignore
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote