Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Replying to a Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Replying to a Thanks

I've sent Thanks messages to people over the years, and I've received replies to those sometimes with a PM that included the thanks message and the fact that I sent it. I've searched the forum and played around with the Thanks process and haven't been able to figure it out. I was wondering if that capability is limited to Mods, or if I've missed something. Is this something I can do? I know I can cut and paste the message into the PM, but it won't include the name of the sender like in a regular Quote. I'd appreciate it if this mystery could be cleared up.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

By default the system does not notify you when someone sends a thanks. Not knowing this when I was new, when I did look there, there were many "thanks" notifications that I had no idea were there.

To turn on this notification when someone sends a thanks, go to User Control Panel, go to Messaging and Notifications, and scroll down about one screen (may vary depending on resolution, etc.) and check the box for "Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up".

Now you will be notified when someone sends a thanks. This may also be why you don't get a reply to a "Thanks" message because the recipient doesn't know you sent one. Either that or they just don't like you.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now you will be notified when someone sends a thanks. This may also be why you don't get a reply to a "Thanks" message because the recipient doesn't know you sent one. Either that or they just don't like you.
Or often, no reply is needed or expected. After all if a person thanks me for thanking them, should I thank them for thanking me for thanking them ..................

When would it stop
Old 04-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to user control panel, then edit options. This gets me to an area where I can choose messaging and notifications. From there you can choose to show thanks. I'm not sure Walt, but you may have forgot the edit options step. If not, you have my apology because it may be different for other users.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Ack, you're right!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #6

I didn't know this either about checking off the "pm notification" box and I just checked off that box. I did know that people sent "thanks" and I would try to remember to check. For me it's kind of rude when you don't acknowledge the "thanks" with a "your welcome".
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
When would it stop
When one of you appears on the "What happened to..." thread?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

OK, thanks. I already had the PM notification box checked, but I checked the Thanks notification box. I'll see eventually whether that gives me the option to reply.

As far as the reason, most thanks are pretty basic, but occasionally I get one I want to acknowledge. The reply option would make it a smoother process, that's all. And I know it exists because I've gotten replies to thanks in the past, although I think they all came from Mods which is why I wondered if it was a superpower.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

I suspect I'm not the only one who doesn't routinely acknowledge a "Thanks" here with a "You're welcome". But I do read and appreciate them when they come in.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I suspect I'm not the only one who doesn't routinely acknowledge a "Thanks" here with a "You're welcome". But I do read and appreciate them when they come in.
+1

I really appreciate receiving them but usually will only reply if additional text has been added to the thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I didn't know this either about checking off the "pm notification" box and I just checked off that box. I did know that people sent "thanks" and I would try to remember to check. For me it's kind of rude when you don't acknowledge the "thanks" with a "your welcome".
Well, then, I guess I should apologize to anyone who I haven't acknowledged. I figure I took time, thought and effort to post something that someone thought was worth their thanks. Why do I have to put any more effort into acknowledging it? There's not a "You're welcome" button so I guess I'd have to hit Reply and then compose something?

This is barely an apology, or maybe a blanket one, because I'm not changing.

I see there are some options to play with regarding notifications of PMs and Thanks, so I need to try some changes out to make them a bit less intrusive to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I need to apologize as well. Sometimes I don’t see a thanks for several months so a reply at that point wouldn’t make sense
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

My thought was to not thank everyone who thanked me, but on rare occasions where I feel super appreciated. Maybe a poster has thanked me over time more than two times, then I think a recognition would come into play and not before.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to Alan and kcowan for sending me test Thanks. Now that I've checked the box for notification of Thanks' I have a reply button. That takes care of my issue.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Thanks to Alan and kcowan for sending me test Thanks. Now that I've checked the box for notification of Thanks' I have a reply button. That takes care of my issue.
I, too, am glad you asked this question. I had the notification button turned off, I coud never figure out how others were able to send acknowledgements or other notes back to those who had sent them "thanks." I guess I seemed pretty rude.

So, to both people who set me thanks over the last few years--thank you.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:49 AM   #16

Likewise, I apologize to those that thanked me but I inadvertently ignored because I was unaware of that feature.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #17

I'd be reluctant to "thank" if it meant a flurry of "you're welcome's." Especially if it started filling up both our e-mail inboxes.

A simple thanks is enough, thank you. (See what I did there?)

One forum I participate on has a "like" button. That's a pretty good feature. It doesn't fill up your e-mail, but you do see when you log on how many "likes" you've had since last time. It's surprisingly motivating, and makes you want to contribute in a positive way.

Now that I know a "thanks" doesn't send an e-mail by default, I'll use it more.

Thanks!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One forum I participate on has a "like" button.
I'm on a forum that has not only a "Like" button but also an "Agree" button. They both get used and I think they're good features because they cut down on a lot of the "+1" posts.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm on a forum that has not only a "Like" button but also an "Agree" button. They both get used and I think they're good features because they cut down on a lot of the "+1" posts.
+1

😀

Seriously, those would both be good to have on this forum.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
How does it appear in the thread discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
+1

😀

+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote