Replying to a Thanks

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've sent Thanks messages to people over the years, and I've received replies to those sometimes with a PM that included the thanks message and the fact that I sent it. I've searched the forum and played around with the Thanks process and haven't been able to figure it out. I was wondering if that capability is limited to Mods, or if I've missed something. Is this something I can do? I know I can cut and paste the message into the PM, but it won't include the name of the sender like in a regular Quote. I'd appreciate it if this mystery could be cleared up.

By default the system does not notify you when someone sends a thanks. Not knowing this when I was new, when I did look there, there were many "thanks" notifications that I had no idea were there.

To turn on this notification when someone sends a thanks, go to User Control Panel, go to Messaging and Notifications, and scroll down about one screen (may vary depending on resolution, etc.) and check the box for "Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up".

Now you will be notified when someone sends a thanks. This may also be why you don't get a reply to a "Thanks" message because the recipient doesn't know you sent one. Either that or they just don't like you.:D

Now you will be notified when someone sends a thanks. This may also be why you don't get a reply to a "Thanks" message because the recipient doesn't know you sent one. Either that or they just don't like you.:D

Or often, no reply is needed or expected. After all if a person thanks me for thanking them, should I thank them for thanking me for thanking them ..................

When would it stop :confused:

I went to user control panel, then edit options. This gets me to an area where I can choose messaging and notifications. From there you can choose to show thanks. I'm not sure Walt, but you may have forgot the edit options step. If not, you have my apology because it may be different for other users.

I didn't know this either about checking off the "pm notification" box and I just checked off that box. I did know that people sent "thanks" and I would try to remember to check. For me it's kind of rude when you don't acknowledge the "thanks" with a "your welcome".

OK, thanks. I already had the PM notification box checked, but I checked the Thanks notification box. I'll see eventually whether that gives me the option to reply.

As far as the reason, most thanks are pretty basic, but occasionally I get one I want to acknowledge. The reply option would make it a smoother process, that's all. And I know it exists because I've gotten replies to thanks in the past, although I think they all came from Mods which is why I wondered if it was a superpower.

I suspect I'm not the only one who doesn't routinely acknowledge a "Thanks" here with a "You're welcome". But I do read and appreciate them when they come in.

I suspect I'm not the only one who doesn't routinely acknowledge a "Thanks" here with a "You're welcome". But I do read and appreciate them when they come in.

+1

I really appreciate receiving them but usually will only reply if additional text has been added to the thanks.

I didn't know this either about checking off the "pm notification" box and I just checked off that box. I did know that people sent "thanks" and I would try to remember to check. For me it's kind of rude when you don't acknowledge the "thanks" with a "your welcome".
Well, then, I guess I should apologize to anyone who I haven't acknowledged. I figure I took time, thought and effort to post something that someone thought was worth their thanks. Why do I have to put any more effort into acknowledging it? There's not a "You're welcome" button so I guess I'd have to hit Reply and then compose something?

This is barely an apology, or maybe a blanket one, because I'm not changing.

I see there are some options to play with regarding notifications of PMs and Thanks, so I need to try some changes out to make them a bit less intrusive to me.

Last edited:
I need to apologize as well. Sometimes I don’t see a thanks for several months so a reply at that point wouldn’t make sense

My thought was to not thank everyone who thanked me, but on rare occasions where I feel super appreciated. Maybe a poster has thanked me over time more than two times, then I think a recognition would come into play and not before.

Thanks to Alan and kcowan for sending me test Thanks. Now that I've checked the box for notification of Thanks' I have a reply button. That takes care of my issue.

Thanks to Alan and kcowan for sending me test Thanks. Now that I've checked the box for notification of Thanks' I have a reply button. That takes care of my issue.
I, too, am glad you asked this question. I had the notification button turned off, I coud never figure out how others were able to send acknowledgements or other notes back to those who had sent them "thanks." I guess I seemed pretty rude.

So, to both people who set me thanks over the last few years--thank you.;)

I'd be reluctant to "thank" if it meant a flurry of "you're welcome's." Especially if it started filling up both our e-mail inboxes.

A simple thanks is enough, thank you. (See what I did there?)

One forum I participate on has a "like" button. That's a pretty good feature. It doesn't fill up your e-mail, but you do see when you log on how many "likes" you've had since last time. It's surprisingly motivating, and makes you want to contribute in a positive way.

Now that I know a "thanks" doesn't send an e-mail by default, I'll use it more.

Thanks!

One forum I participate on has a "like" button.

I'm on a forum that has not only a "Like" button but also an "Agree" button. They both get used and I think they're good features because they cut down on a lot of the "+1" posts.

I'm on a forum that has not only a "Like" button but also an "Agree" button. They both get used and I think they're good features because they cut down on a lot of the "+1" posts.

+1

😀

Seriously, those would both be good to have on this forum.

How does it appear in the thread discussion?

It looks like this. A row of buttons at the bottom of every post. The Agree and Like buttons get updated each time someone uses them.
Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 10.31.03 AM.png

The forum software is Vanilla.

I don’t remember for more than a minute who I thank for what post (and I don’t think there’s a thank-o-log in our user profile that records this information) so getting a “you’re welcome” (or perhaps a “no problem” like the cool kids say, per the pet peeve thread) would be overkill—unless we have a you’re-welcome-o-log so I could spend hours tracking responses to thanks I forgot I’d extended.

But I do like the “thanks” feature as is. Some forums I read have created status monsters with results of the “like” button—not sure why featuring most-liked posts and indirectly posters is necessary.

Last edited:
How does it appear in the thread discussion?
In the bottom right of the post you'd see a number, starting at 0. If you hover over it, it says something like "click here to upvote", and if you do the number becomes 1, the next person clicking on it makes 2, and so on. Some places have a downvote as well as an up but that doesn't work as well as you can get a pack of people attacking someone, or people feeling hurt that their well-intended post wasn't taken well, so most places only have a + count.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/blogger/BKTm0gkphvo for example.

But I do like the “thanks” feature as is. Some forums I read have created status monsters with results of the “like” button—not sure why featuring most-liked posts and indirectly posters is necessary.
Yes, some places people seem to wear too proudly how many + votes they've gotten so I wouldn't want to see a count by user.

I don't really care if we do that or keep the existing system, but if someone expects a "you're welcome" from me, just don't send me a Thanks.

Just to clarify, I have had many hundreds of thanks over the years, and there are probably a half dozen or so I would have liked to respond to. Most of them are just a "lol" or "good point" or even a blank message, something that doesn't need a response. But occasionally I get one that raises an interesting point or otherwise deserves a response, so I was just looking for the mechanism to do so. I had seen it used (very rarely) and wanted to have that capability myself. I have no intention of "you're welcoming" anyone to death, and I doubt most of the others are either. I suspect most of you are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Back
Top Bottom