Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, REW, this could be the end of the Apple wars.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #262
Administrator

This is due to a change a few months ago when we moved the CSS to an external file that is served through the CDN. This was done to speed up the delivery of this information and to allow member's browsers to cache this info which reduces page load times even more. AFAIK, the posting area is only gray on Firefox.

The site should work fine on Mac + Safari. Please clear your cache, reboot and try again.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #263
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Andy, and hello from the white area reached thru Safari.

A cache clear and quick shutdown didn't work so I also cleared the history and removed all cookies and shut it down for a longer time. Staying with Safari is more about laziness than loyalty. For a non-techie it would be a bear to re-install InstaPaper on another browser; but next up on my tech to-do list: find out how and if Firefox bookmarks can be synced to iPod. Interesting they also use the term "bookmarks" instead of "favorites."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm using Safari with no problems right now.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Just an FYI on clearing cache
Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just an FYI on clearing cache

The other day, I was doing a bunch of backups, deleting old stuff, updating SW etc, and when I logged in here, some stuff appeared messed up.

Since I knew I had been mucking around, I immediately just cleared the cache, and did a refresh and everything was fine. So just a note that cache clearing definitely can fix up some oddball problems.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

This is curious. I've been reading various threads this evening, but whenever I go to http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-next-step-44768-2.html#post928868 I get put into a loop, with the apge constantly refreshing. I can't scroll down because it refreshes me to the first post on the page. I've cleared my cache, signed out and in, rebooted, etc. I've gone back and read other threads, no problem. Interestingly, it didn't happen when I was signed out, but happened again when I logged back in. I'm not sure if it has to do with the TDAmeritrade ads, or what. Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 8.

Not that big a deal, I can just skip the thread. But curious.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This is curious. I've been reading various threads this evening, but whenever I go to http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/the-next-step-44768-2.html#post928868 I get put into a loop, with the apge constantly refreshing. I can't scroll down because it refreshes me to the first post on the page. I've cleared my cache, signed out and in, rebooted, etc. I've gone back and read other threads, no problem. Interestingly, it didn't happen when I was signed out, but happened again when I logged back in. I'm not sure if it has to do with the TDAmeritrade ads, or what. Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 8.

Not that big a deal, I can just skip the thread. But curious.
Same thing happened to me about an hour ago. I haven't gone back.

Ha
Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

strange missing post

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...off-50254.html

Kelly Hudson is shown as the last poster and the thread comes up as having unread message - but no Kelly Hudson to be seen when I go there.... If she posted spam or something I'd think her (deleted) message wouldn't activate the new message indicator.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was making a post on Sunday when the entire thread was deleted. The error message was not helpful. Something about a thread error, rather than saying a thread was deleted while I was composing my response.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

I seem to be having a problem with two threads:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post964080

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post964041

The first won't let me go to "First Unread." The second simply goes into a "refresh"-like loop. (Update: Now they both do.)

In the right hand column, they continue to be emboldened no matter how often I open them.

This takes place on two different computers -- Vista & Windows 7.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #271
Administrator

Please try deleting your cookies and temp internet files
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Please try deleting your cookies and temp internet files
Didn't help.

However, I did "fix" the "RV Expenses" thread by forcing it to Page 5 (it was looping on Page 6) and adding a post. I am unsure how that worked but there was one Post on Page 7 that I was prevented from viewing until I added my post.

I have not touched the other thread (except for trying to access it after your suggestion) and, although it didn't start an endless loop, I was still prevented from using the "View First Unread" function -- after clicking it the program stayed on Post #1. And, it did not show (in the right hand column) that the Thread had been read.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #273
Dryer sheet wannabe

Your forum told me that my last couple posts needed to be reviewed by a moderator. what the hell is going on here?

Bruce
NW Scruffy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #274
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bruce, I'm guessing your two posts contained links? If so, I think the software automatically sends posts for new members to the mods to review. It's a way to combat spam.

One of the mods will be along shortly to confirm.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #275
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Scruffy Guy View Post
Your forum told me that my last couple posts needed to be reviewed by a moderator. what the hell is going on here?

Bruce
REWahoo is exactly right. Your total post quantity is below the antispam threshhold written into the forum's software, and any that contain a link automatically get moved for moderator consideration. Your post with the link (the link is in the quoted material, but it still triggers the software function) has been approved.

Post a couple more times without links and you'll be good to go and won't run into this issue.

That's what the hell is going on here. Nuttin' personal
Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #276
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bruce, I'm guessing your two posts contained links? If so, I think the software automatically sends posts for new members to the mods to review. It's a way to combat spam.

One of the mods will be along shortly to confirm.
I had no links in my posts, only a quote, so I am confused.

Bruce
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Scruffy Guy View Post
I had no links in my posts, only a quote, so I am confused.

Bruce
Note the material you quoted had a link within it. That triggered the software to move it to to-be-reviewed.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #278
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Note the material you quoted had a link within it. That triggered the software to move it to to-be-reviewed.
OK, how many posts do I need for no review?

Bruce
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #279
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How many do you think?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #280
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How many do you think?
What I meant was the threshold for having all my posts sent to moderator before mandatory review before post is allowed.

I have many thousands of posts on other sites, not a forum rookie, but am a noob here.

Bruce