Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanms View Post
I lost my User Name Jake46.
Please use the contact us form at the bottom of the page and we can get your account settings tailors to your liking.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

not sure this is a quirk- maybe its a "feature"

I seem to remember that once I logged in there werent ads at the top of the page. Well Im logged in and they are still up there. Maybe I didnt notice them before and they are just more annoying now.
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso View Post
not sure this is a quirk- maybe its a "feature"

I seem to remember that once I logged in there werent ads at the top of the page. Well Im logged in and they are still up there. Maybe I didnt notice them before and they are just more annoying now.
No, the ads were only shown to guest before. I have put the single 728x90 banner at the top under the navigation bar to help offset the costs of running the site. It's part of my FIRE plan (which I am a long way from achieving). So I hope they are not to intrusive and thanks for understanding that they are needed to keep things going.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any way to leave the Edit Post feature infinite like the old software did. It was a valuable tool to correct mistakes or expand on a thought without continually adding new unnecessary posts. Thanks.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Trek, we have had a number of problems where the continuity of threads were destroyed by people making dramatic edits or deletions to their posts so we decided on a time limit on editing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
PMs
Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PMs

My PM box is showing a total of 735 messages. Let me assure you, I am not THAT popular!!!

I hesitate to open the box because it is definitely in error. I only want to keep a copy of the messages I've sent and maybe the last one received from a sender on a subject.

Because I think that the PM message issue is in a shake-out phase I shall wait to do house keeping.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Can you increase the number of characters allowed in a signature to 300? Mine is 292 but I can't edit it now because of the 250 character limit. It's also complaining about more than 2 lines no matter what I try.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I have put the single 728x90 banner at the top under the navigation bar to help offset the costs of running the site.
how about putting the ads on the bottom of the page- underneath everything else?
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I did a few searches that should have produced a buttload of results and got nothing as well.

Maybe something has to be indexed in the middle of the night, to candlelight and a little light jazz...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Yes, PM wise I found that I now had every PM I ever sent or received in my inbox and had to delete them all in order to send a new one...or manually delete all but 99 of them one at a time :P

While that was a bit onerous, i'm still a wee bit concerned about where all those PM's that I had deleted had been repositoried all these years...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

However, on a positive note, the "ignore user" feature is delightful.

Any way we can get the plugin that lets you see how many people are "ignoring" you? That'd open up a whole new world of competition that'd make post counts seem ridiculous...not that they arent...
Name change
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Name change

How do I get my old name back? It seems it has changed and no option exists in usercp to change it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnuthmann View Post
How do I get my old name back? It seems it has changed and no option exists in usercp to change it.
Send a PM to one of the Admins (Andy R, Janet H) and request they change your user name.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Just so i'm clear on this, do 'super moderator's have to wear the cape and little eye mask thing when they're posting?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Just so i'm clear on this, do 'super moderator's have to wear the cape and little eye mask thing when they're posting?
And our underpants over our tights.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yes.

And it's damn hot in here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Welll...this thread is now completely useless without photos...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
And our underpants over our tights.

Speak for yourself, sister. Who needs any stinkin' underpants.

Or tights.

With that visual, have a nice weekend.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #39

Andy

Got anything in your bag of tricks that would let me click somewhere to "Go to first unread post" so that I don't have to re-read old stuff to figure out "where" I left off in the thread last time I was there?

Thanks!

spncity
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Andy

Got anything in your bag of tricks that would let me click somewhere to "Go to first unread post" so that I don't have to re-read old stuff to figure out "where" I left off in the thread last time I was there?

Thanks!

spncity
Oh! Never mind! I figured it out
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote