Report software quirks here

I'm just happy, to Finally get "Logged In!!" After about 5 attempts, which were probably caused by my own dumbness and inability to comprehend instructions.

I love this forum and appreciate the efforts Andy and others have made to sort out all the bugs.

No... I was having this problem... and still have not been able to log on at home....

Anyone having problems with Firefox??

I am happily using the latest Firefox with no extensions and I think it's working perfectly.

BTW, Martha, your answers to people's questions have been extremely clear.

Mike D.

It seems I am continuing to get e-mails notifying me of replies even though I think I have set my preference to "no e-mails." Why?

No... I was having this problem... and still have not been able to log on at home....

Anyone having problems with Firefox??

No problems with FireFox here. I had problems logging in at first....but finally messed around with it long enough that I goofed, and got logged on. I seriously don't know what I did, but it worked. :uglystupid:

No problems with FireFox here. I had problems logging in at first....but finally messed around with it long enough that I goofed, and got logged on. I seriously don't know what I did, but it worked. :uglystupid:

Yea.. this seems to be what is happening to me now that I have used it...

When I first pull up the site, I am not logged on... but when I hit today's posts.... I am logged on.... strange...

It seems I am continuing to get e-mails notifying me of replies even though I think I have set my preference to "no e-mails." Why?

that just sets the preference for future subscribed threads.

if you go to 'user cp', click 'view all subscribed threads', you will then have all your existing subscription threads with a little check box all the way to the right of each thread labeled "notification". Theres also a box at the top that will check all threads on that page.

Check the 'all select' box, then down near the bottom right of the page you'll see a drop down labeled 'selected threads'...drop that down and change it to 'no email notification'.

If theres a second page of threads, go to that page, rinse and repeat.

Now your current and future subscribed threads are not going to produce email notifications.

Alternative and easier method is to mark the notifications as junk mail in google/hotmail/whatever and have them fly directly to your junk mailbox, although you wont be able to subscribe to threads later on and get email notifications, and you'll be back here asking "Why isnt my email notification working?!?" ;)

Please make sure that you have "remember me" checked when you login. That should set a cookie and keep you logged into the site.

Please make sure that you have "remember me" checked when you login. That should set a cookie and keep you logged into the site.

I did and it does and does not...

When I first bring up the site, it has an empty place where you put your name to log in... but if I hit 'today's posts', I am miraculously (sp?) logged in... and I did check the box..

I did and it does and does not...

When I first bring up the site, it has an empty place where you put your name to log in... but if I hit 'today's posts', I am miraculously (sp?) logged in... and I did check the box..

That was happening to me at first too - I did not appear to be logged in until I actually went somewhere. Seems to have resolved itself now.

Fuzzy - thanks for the info. on how to un-notify. :)

just in case I never get back in

Wow --- I got a glimpse at the new features once - very cool - but could never get back in to anything other than read-only even when it said "Thank you for logging in, spncity."

Then re-registered a couple of times and could get in only once per new name upon activation (yes I always checked "remember me" every time).

The software would actually thank me for logging in with any of these various names - and then redirect me to a READ-ONLY page that did not contain UserCP etc., and tell me I was not logged in (even when I could see my name in the members online list).

Couldn't get back in this morning with any of the names.

Then this evening - it works like a charm with the original name and original password.

But I don't know if it will work next time.

I would love to know what has been going on and whether I'm going to be able to get in tomorrow.

Oh, and here is a little present for Andy R :angel: <----- icepack on head. I'm sure I've been one of your headaches (sorry) and will beg for help again if this quits working again.

So, in case this is the one and only time I'm able to get back in the forum, I just want to say how much I appreciate the discussions about saving, investing, tips for retiring early, etc. I particularly appreciate the "how old are you and how much have you saved" discussions because - I dont' care whether they are based on ego or not - it inspires me to save more . . . and the "how much do you live on" discussions because it helps me to imagine my life after kids are out of college, etc. If I can't get back in at least I can read.

Hopefully, I'll be around.:D

Here's another little quirk for you

My timezone is set to GMT -7, but the forum wants to display all the thread times and current time in GMT -6. Off by one error?

2Cor521

I can't log out. I complete a session and log off. I get the message that cookies have been removed.

I close my browser and return to www.early-retirement.org, and find that I am still logged on. I don't want this; I want to be able to log off.

Ha

if you go to 'user cp', click 'view all subscribed threads', you will then have all your existing subscription threads with a little check box all the way to the right of each thread labeled "notification". Theres also a box at the top that will check all threads on that page.

Check the 'all select' box, then down near the bottom right of the page you'll see a drop down labeled 'selected threads'...drop that down and change it to 'no email notification'.
Doesn't work for me? when I check the 'all box' and then drop down and choose 'no email notification', nothing happens.

Did you click the "go" button next to the drop down?

Do you have a second page (or third page...) of subscribed threads?

i think we've identified why I never had a "help desk" job...

Did you click the "go" button next to the drop down?

Do you have a second page (or third page...) of subscribed threads?

i think we've identified why I never had a "help desk" job...
Yes
No
...could be ...

Tried it a few times in different sequences.... still shows 'none' in notification column

Tried it a few times in different sequences.... still shows 'none' in notification column
We have an admin option available to unsubscribe a member to all the threads you are subscribed to. So if the notifications continue even after you have selected not to receive (which they should not), the best thing would be for us to reset the subscriptions on your account. That means we would clear out all the subscriptions linked to your account and then we you would have to manually subscribe to all past threads and/or let the system subscribe you moving forward.

I wish I had a better answer. If you continue to have problems, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom and select Account Management and we will look into this further.

Andy

Profile tag lines not editable?

Seem to have gone back to defaults (for some of us). (Not signatures.)

- Thought Transcending Thought -

Seem to have gone back to defaults (for some of us). (Not signatures.)

- Thought Transcending Thought -

You can change your user title by going to your user CP (link on upper tool bar) and select "edit profile".

Scroll down a bit to see "optional information - Custom use title"

Enter your text in the editor box and scroll all the way down. Select "save".

You can change your user title by going to your user CP (link on upper tool bar) and select "edit profile".

Scroll down a bit to see "optional information - Custom use title"

Enter your text in the editor box and scroll all the way down. Select "save".

The only optional info is url and im names. The additional info is city, hobbies, and the like. No custom title.

In my post last night which included a quote of Calmloki in the What's Great About Where You Live there is a 'thumb's down'. It was not my intention to put that there.

Thanks, I had an errant mouse click and did not notice until this a.m.

Back
Top Bottom