Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got rid of the right column ad, set the numer of threads to 25, and it all looks great on a Dell Inspiron laptop (vintage 2005).
Setting the IE browser text size to Larger (pull down View,Text Size in IE menu) and setting the browser window to full screen makes the font size very readable for me.

I really like not having to go back to Portal all the time.

Nice job.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
Administrator

I know it's weird to see the right column on the page after viewing a site for such a long time without it. I spend all day on forums and having the recent posts in the right column is very handy. Hopefully the flexibility of the setup will allow everyone to find set things up how they choose.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Well, I made the right column go away...

I've never used the recent posts feature; I like being able to reference earlier posts if need be. Old fogey!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

I've never used the recent posts feature; I like being able to reference earlier posts if need be. Old fogey!
+1
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Yup.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Okay. I am lost again. How do you make the "Recent Post" feature prevent one from referencing (accessing?) earlier threads?

(I'm thinkin my confusion comes from not being "old fogey" enough. I will have to fix that, if true.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Administrator

Ron,

I think they are talking about not using the portal or recent threads as a primary way to navigate the site. I am guess they probably just navigate to each forum they are interested in and look at the threads from there. That way you can see all the old historical threads even if the last posts is far enough back that they would no longer be listed on the recent threads. (I might be wrong but that's my interpretation of it. This is a common navigation/use of the forums for many).
Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hate it and glad it was easy to change back. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Same here. Glad to have options though.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Ditto.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am not like others....

I use the New Posts link and just look at which ones I want to read... skip the rest... after reading, I hit the back button to get back to the list...

It tells me which ones have new posts since the last time I was there... after a few hours, going backwards produces something like 'no search results' or something... and I hit the New Posts again... refreshed list...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I guess I am not like others....
I use the New Posts link and just look at which ones I want to read... skip the rest... after reading, I hit the back button to get back to the list...
Firefox (and perhaps IE7/8) makes it easier to look at the new posts, open the ones I'm interested in their own new tabs, and then go back to the "New Posts" screen to mark them all read.

Of course a really interesting day may add 20 tabs to my screen. The reason I started browsing this way is because the one-window loop of ["New Posts", click to thread, back to "New Posts", click to another thread, back to "New Posts"...] was taking Google's Adsense forever to serve up the ads for my browser to block. At least I can be reading something in another tab while I'm waiting for the other tabs to finish "not loading" the ads.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ron, you can select green or blue versions by going to the drop-down menu at lower left of the page and choosing "--Early-Retirement v1.0" or "--Early-Retirement v2.0".
This morning as I was going through my Subscribed threads, the screen turned from blue to the green version. (I read one thread, it was blue, the next thread was green.) I can no longer find this "drop-down menu at the lower left." What did I do wrong?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ron, Andy posted this a few minutes ago: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post877446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I just forced everyone to use the new style while we investigate this issue. this will reduce one of the variables involved in finding this issue.

Can you all report back which style you are set to (new or old)?
Can you post exactly what page you were on when you got the warning? It could also be the thread/discussion page, home page, forum listings, etc

Thanks for posting the warnings, it will help us investigate this. The more info you can post the better.
Bold is mine.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ron, Andy posted this a few minutes ago: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post877446

Bold is mine.
Whew! I will get "caught up" shortly. Thank you.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The new right column doesn't bother me. I haven't tried to use it, though.

FWIW, I did something that does help me, though.

Some time back I bought a wide-screen flat monitor (needed to view Autocad drawings). I saved $60 by buying the model where the screen could not be rotated 90 degrees.

Reading on a wide screen gives me headaches so I turned it on end (but I did save $60!) and propped it up and did alt-ctl-right arrow and the display rotated 90 degrees. Had to adjust the other display settings by trial-and-error (right-click on a blank spot on the desktop and also the laptop display function key; F-7 in my case) to fill the screen properly.

Now, I read the screen like a newspaper--tall and narrow. It is way easier to read text.