Spam and new member account limitations

Janet H

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
In the last few days we have had a rash of spam touting an online newsletter. These spammers are not only plastering the board with posts, they are also sending PMs and leaving profile comments. Removing this garbage has become a full time activity for site mods.

For a little while until we can find more foolproof ways to stop this onslaught, members with new accounts will be prohibited from using these messaging functions. New members can still post to the forum however. We are truly sorry to restrict new members in this way but feel that we must take this action to protect our long term members from this kind of harassment.

This is a temporary measure and if any new member needs to contact a moderator, please use our contact link at the bottom of the page. We will e-mail you at the first opportunity to answer your questions.

Please continue to use the report post feature to report spam. Forum members have been extremely helpful in this respect and we have been able to get these unwanted posts off the board quickly.:flowers:

OK, if you can't pay the mods, at least see if Andy will give them some French benefits.

Where Andy lives it's 75-85 degrees F. Maybe he could send some nice temps our way? Never mind, they are also reporting thunderstorms there.

Oh, I forgot to tell you -- Janet doubled my pay.

Is that all? My pay was TRIPLED, as was my vacation time. :-X

Nylons and chocolate? Nylons are uncomfortable and constraining, and chocolate is just plain fattening...

Thanks you mods. I hate spam and really appreciate your efforts. :greetings10:

Thanks you mods. I hate spam and really appreciate your efforts. :greetings10:

We hate it too, which is why this really isn't work for us! We have been dealing with a spam avalanche lately, the most I recall ever seeing here, and mostly spamming the same newsletter. We have been greatly helped by all of our great members reporting spam to us so that we are aware of it and can get rid of it fast, so thank you, everyone. It has been a great ER Forum community effort and it is much appreciated.

For those that don't know, the triangular white icon with a red "!" on it, at the lower left of each message is the "report post" icon. We really appreciate your help in reporting these spam posts to us.

Also, please -- everybody look at your profile and if you have a spam post, report it to us. Thank you so much!

I love SPAM, SPAM Musabi is a local delicacy here. Good stuff :).

But I guess you moderator types are getting rid of it too quickly cause my PM box is empty. :(

Keep up the good work.

We hate it too, which is why this really isn't work for us! We have been dealing with a spam avalanche lately, the most I recall ever seeing here, and mostly spamming the same newsletter. We have been greatly helped by all of our great members reporting spam to us so that we are aware of it and can get rid of it fast, so thank you, everyone. It has been a great ER Forum community effort and it is much appreciated.

For those that don't know, the triangular white icon with a red "!" on it, at the lower left of each message is the "report post" icon. We really appreciate your help in reporting these spam posts to us.

Also, please -- everybody look at your profile and if you have a spam post, report it to us. Thank you so much!

I had a PM spam this AM, but there was no red triangle icon availablefor reporting-maybe it had already been dealt with?- so I forwarded it to you. (Since we already have such a close moderator-member relationship...:angel:)

I had a PM spam this AM, but there was no red triangle icon availablefor reporting-maybe it had already been deleted?- so I forwarded it to you. (Since we already have such a close moderator-member relationship...:angel:)

Thanks! We appreciate the report from you and dealt with it. So thanks again!

Also, profile comment spam doesn't have the triangle icon either - - it has a clickable "Report" link on the bottom right of the profile comment.

In the last few days we have had a rash of spam touting an online newsletter. These spammers are not only plastering the board with posts, they are also sending PMs and leaving profile comments. Removing this garbage has become a full time activity for site mods.
Any indication what's sending the business this way? A certain ad or keyword or SEO? A vBulletin vulnerability? Raddr's & Greaney's ER boards don't seem to have quite the same level of issues.

For a little while until we can find more foolproof ways to stop this onslaught, members with new accounts will be prohibited from using these messaging functions. New members can still post to the forum however. We are truly sorry to restrict new members in this way but feel that we must take this action to protect our long term members from this kind of harassment.
IIRC Bogleheads won't let new members put any links in posts until they've posted at least 10 times. I've seen other boards where PMs are disabled (except to contact mods or admins) until the poster has some minimum [-]amount of credibility[/-] number of posts.

Good solution to the onslaught!
I'm one of the earliest "Birds" to sign in on the forum, so I'll be extra vigilant in reporting anything that snuck in during the wee AM hours.
Thanks for all you moderators and admins do for us.:flowers:

I'm guessing "new" isn't determined by time but number of posts?

Yes - if you are a long time member with a low post count you may be impacted by this change. If you post here about this (and promise not to spam) we can find a work around to get you back this functionality.

Once again we know this is a drastic measure we have taken and hope to be able to return to our old model soon..

I just reported a PM to the mods. It uses a prominent ER Forum member's avatar and usename, with title "Survey" and a strange-looking link in the body. I do not think this member would send such a PM and I am going to notify them privately. I do not want this person to get in trouble for sending SPAM which I am sure they did not do!

Amethyst

I just reported a PM to the mods. It uses a prominent ER Forum member's avatar and usename, with title "Survey" and a strange-looking link in the body. I do not think this member would send such a PM and I am going to notify them privately. I do not want this person to get in trouble for sending SPAM which I am sure they did not do!

Amethyst

How peculiar! I haven't see the report yet but thanks for reporting it.

Allright made me look at my user CP, long time no see, amazing stuff in there.

No spam. Maybe only the highrollers get the unique and valuable opportunities. Good to be a cheepskate.

A new no posts spammer.

--------------
You have received a new private message at Early Retirement & Financial Independence
Community from henryda1, entitled "Penny Stocks Moving".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/private.php

This is the message that was sent:***************
Hey dude,

Another thing that helped with penny stock picks was this site:
<a href="http://www.PennyStocksMoving.com"
target="_blank">http://www.PennyStocksMoving.com</a>

Their picks usually work out well...let me know what you think!

Regards

Me three - received spam on penny stocks to this BBS email box - interesting. Wonder how they got to it.

I just got one from Lynda4 or something like that. It was the penny stocks one.

Mike D.

I got one too, but didn't bother to open it. I knew it was spam and came here to see what others said about it. I'll just delete it.

Back
Top Bottom