Join Early Retirement Today

Spam message? "PASSIVE INCOME" from andrianjames112 from Digital Assets
Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spam message? "PASSIVE INCOME" from andrianjames112 from Digital Assets

Just got this strange private message from andrianjames112 of Digital Assets:

PASSIVE INCOME - Hello, I am James from Digital Assets.

andrianjames112 showed 0 posts...could be a spam message?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Thanks for reporting. Spam, please delete. Spammer account closed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Administrator

I just wanted to add that there is a red triangle in all private messages that allows you to report them directly to the moderators, the same as you would report a sketchy post.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #4

Oh thanks I got same was wondering how to report it.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
could be a spam message?
Could be. You might ask if James is a Nigerian prince who will arrest you if you don't pay him back taxes with gift cards to make absolutely sure. Although he may want to clear up a problem he noticed on your Windows PC first. If he mentions that you won a Walmart gift card, I'd run though.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Could be. You might ask if James is a Nigerian prince who will arrest you if you don't pay him back taxes with gift cards to make absolutely sure. Although he may want to clear up a problem he noticed on your Windows PC first. If he mentions that you won a Walmart gift card, I'd run though.
Well, I'm sure I'll have no problems at all with scammers on the financial side of things. The Social Security office called and had me give them my SS number, bank account information, and credit card numbers so they could monitor all my accounts for fraudulent activity. PC-wise, I found a shiny new USB stick in a parking lot, stuck it into my laptop, and whadaya know, it contains valuable software that will eliminate malware and increase my laptop's speed by up to 40%! I'm going to run it tonight. Lucky me!!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I'm sure I'll have no problems at all with scammers on the financial side of things. The Social Security office called and had me give them my SS number, bank account information, and credit card numbers so they could monitor all my accounts for fraudulent activity. PC-wise, I found a shiny new USB stick in a parking lot, stuck it into my laptop, and whadaya know, it contains valuable software that will eliminate malware and increase my laptop's speed by up to 40%! I'm going to run it tonight. Lucky me!!
Just make sure your centrifuges are at full speed before you run it. That way you'll get more bitcoin.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
There are a couple of very wealthy Nigerian pastors, so.......lol
Old 09-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
........PC-wise, I found a shiny new USB stick in a parking lot, stuck it into my laptop, and whadaya know, it contains valuable software that will eliminate malware and increase my laptop's speed by up to 40%! I'm going to run it tonight. Lucky me!!
Unexpectedly coming upon that, I suddenly laughed out loud, big guffaws! Thanks for the first laugh, and maybe the only laugh of the day. Good thing I wasn't eating or drinking anything, or else my monitor and/or keyboard would need a big cleanup. I never expected to get a big laugh out of the Forum Admin forum!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #10

The IRS called us and said we owed back taxes from late 1990's. I really enjoyed that call as my ATT TV screen showed the number as 001-000-000 (something like that, I can't remember exactly). I asked to speak to a supervisor. Immediately transferred and I interrogated him with absurd questions. The IRS will only contact you by mail (hopefully it gets here on time). But the call was entertaining as they stumbled through how to send the check, the address to send it to, the exact amount and the deadline date.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Social Security left me a scary message last week:
Quote:
This call is from the Department of Social Security administration. The reason you have received this phone call from our department is to inform you that there's a legal enforcement action is filed on your Social Security number for fraudulent activities, so when you get this message kindly call back at the earliest possible on our number before we begin with the legal proceedings. That is 332-230-0138 I repeat 332-230-0138 thank you…
That number is reported online as associated with an SS scam.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:58 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There are a couple of very wealthy Nigerian pastors, so.......lol
Lol[emoji23][emoji23]
chris2pher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:30 AM   #13

I thought the Social Security office wanted you to go out to Walmart, buy $3000 worth of gift cards, and read them the numbers, all while you stay on the line on your HOME phone. They refuse to take a check. And the sheriff is on his way to arrest you if you don’t do what the SS office says,
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I thought the Social Security office wanted you to go out to Walmart, buy $3000 worth of gift cards, and read them the numbers, all while you stay on the line on your HOME phone. They refuse to take a check. And the sheriff is on his way to arrest you if you don’t do what the SS office says,
Well, if I’d answered the phone I’m sure it could have gone that way. Or maybe they simply wanted my SS number.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Social Security left me a scary message last week:

That number is reported online as associated with an SS scam.
I got that call also. It intrigued me because they actually left the message on my voicemail and scammers almost never do that. I called the number back and they answered "Social Security Administration Department".....that was a giveaway. I was hoping to be entertained by engaging the spammer but no such luck. I think I told them I was already in jail or something ridiculous like that
Old 09-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Right, I was very surprised they bothered to leave a message.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #17

My game with scam callers is to get THEM to hang up on ME, not the other way around. Here's an example of a recent call;
I got a call I won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. The caller was giving me a 'heads up' so I was sure to be dressed and hair combed and such as there would be a lot of activity at my front door very soon with cameras, balloons, etc. Of course I had to prove I was me with just a few questions. I played along. As the questions got more personal, I got more creative with my answers, but the guy was good. He said he understood that I was skeptical but that the whole show and crew were just down the street, limo to sweep me away and all. That they had to get things moving pretty quick. It was then the caller blew his cover when he said Ed McMahon himself was presenting the check. The caller gave up when I informed him that Ed's been dead for more than 10 years. Ha! But I thanked the caller anyways for such an entertaining morning, that I worked for the FBI and was able to trace the call because I was able to keep him on line for so long. He hung up.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote