Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Try Wipr?

That stopped the problems on my iPad.
Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never seen an ad or had a pop up on this site from day one of joining.
Safari & Adblock plus.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...
I know. I've never used an adblocker before. And it was just happening at this site.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #44

FWIW, I was curious so I’ve been using Safari on my iPad all day today to browse this forum and a few others. Haven’t seen a single ad, much less any pop ups. So I have to say that Adblock Plus does indeed work, just as reported.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I click the first button and leave it open while opening another tab, I can view this site undisturbed. Is there risk in doing that?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Only site that I get pop ups on. Something just ain’t right.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.
It will likely keep new visitors from returning, who won’t be able to read this thread suggesting adblockers they don’t need for other sites.

I think this ad that is not in English triggered the spam I just got—I grabbed a fast screen cap. I see only the ads across the top of the screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71CCEDDE-380E-4C77-A179-0CC1836AAFCD.jpeg (90.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #49

Pop ups take over the page and require clearing history - then recur over and over.

ER needs to fix quickly!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.
Since none of the pop up blockers worked, I will give this a try.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
So that fix lasted a couple minutes. I couldn’t get things like login boxes to show up on other websites.
Back to where I started.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.
I haven't had any problems on my Win PC either. My iPad has been another story altogether, even my iOS AdBlocker stopped working after many months, so I may have to try another. Between online spam and robocallers Ain't technology grand...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Since none of the pop up blockers worked, I will give this a try.
Did you try uBlock Origin?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #56

There was a brief respite yesterday for a few hours and now it's back. I agree this is a problem the site needs to address. I visit a number of online forums regularly and this is the only one with an ongoing issue. It's been virtually unusable the last few days--you can't even click into a thread.

For all those suggesting ad blockers, that's great, but I'm not really interested in downloading this just to manage a problem that's only happening on one web forum. Unlike others, I don't really mind the ads and I know they help to generate revenue that helps support the forum.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #57

I've given up on my Ipad for this site, no issues with any other site and will most likely just stop visiting here as it only works when I'm on the PC. I tried adblock and wipr, works for an hour or so, then stops so really believe this is a erorg issue and not going to keep trying to fix it from my end. Best of luck to others but think it's time to move on.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don’t know what to do with all the gift cards I’m being offered today!

I used a couple of the gift cards to pay my IRS bill... /s
Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Spam popup today

I hope this situation is resolved soon. I don’t own an iPad but have been thinking of buying one. The pop ups sound terrible.

For what it’s worth, most of my use of e-r.org is through i{Phone,Touch} (using the app) and Chromebook (using Chrome). I’ve had no spam pop ups at all.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

(1) Fix the damn broken https security for one!
If you start at https://www.early-retirement.org you’ll start out with a secure TLS end-to-end link but as soon as you click on “new posts” it reverts to a plain-text link. Ugh! Anyone browsing this site on a public Wifi network opens their account to hacking. Don’t use the same password for this site you use for anything else.

(2) The owners of the site are failing to do due-diligence on who they sell ads. It isn’t clear they care. Ideally the site would be member-supported and no ads, but once turned over to a commercial operator that is now unlikely to ever happen.
Closed Thread