Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What icon do you think they should issue instead of stars?
Rolls of toilet paper 3 16.67%
Turds 1 5.56%
Dog poo w/ a firecracker in it. 5 27.78%
Hand grenades 0 0%
Hand grenades made of turds 0 0%
Dryer sheets 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Stars and more
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Stars and more

Couldn't resist

I like the dog poo with the firecracker idea, especially if the mods could make them blow!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stars and more
Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or maybe a dog-doo snowcone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The user stars are 12x12 images. The moderator stars are 16x16. (These are observations, not limits.)

Having 6 or 7 moderator-sized stars may be too wide for the left column. If somebody can produce "stars" in the 12x12 - 16x16 size (doesn't have to be square) in gif or png format, post them here and...well, no promises. If you go animated, limit the animation so it's not obnoxious to people reading posts....maybe only a couple of animation loops or a long pause between loops.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
If you go animated....
Animated exploding dog poop? God I love the internet.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

And sound effects...we need sound effects. The bang, the splats, etc. I'd suggest taking the soundtrack from the "blowing up the whale" video.

By the way, if I were still managing people, I'd hire George Thornton in a heartbeat.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I see from a little investigating that George was promoted six months after this fiasco (what a surprise) and retired on a full pension in 1990.

Maybe he's a poster here?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #7

"...turned into a run for survival, as huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere." That's the kind of line that reporters must dream of being able to publish/air. Say what you want about George Thornton's plan, but he stepped up to the plate and did something. A true man of action. Anybody want to be that the last thing George said right before they demo'ed Shamu was "Boy, I sure hope this works!" I Wonder what he said right after....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Say what you want about George Thornton's plan, but he stepped up to the plate and did something. A true man of action.
Thats why I said I'd hire him.

Quote:
Wonder what he said right after....
I believe he stated his choice of replacement icon, which is in agreement with some of the posts above...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #9

I'm sure George didn't suffer much of a career problem over this. It had to be the first, and last, time they tried to "vaporize" a whale with explosives.

One of my bosses taught me something in the process of convincing me to try something risky.

Quote:
If it goes wrong you'll be okay because you're the first guy to try it. Everybody in the chain will have examined this thing and in the process of signing off they will cover your butt as well. If it goes well you'll be seen as a hero. It's the guy screwing the same thing up six months from now who is at risk. When it's been done successfully a couple of times all the blame for failure goes to the lowest level - even though it's not any less risky than it is now.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I actually proved that theorem wrong when I did something nobody ever did before, was spectacularly successful doing it, then had everyone I made look bad crap on me at review time. Several blamed my use of resources to do my project as the reason why theirs failed.

That worked out fine for me after a little executive intervention, but it was a little messy for a week or two.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I went through a lot of images before I found one that looked decent at 16x16. Wheelchairs don't look good by the way. Those bars are too thin

Anyway, what about something like the attached?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sunshade_16x16.gif (1,004 Bytes, 64 views)
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote