Strange situation...

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
This might possibly explain some of the blank pages etc lately.

Our server started bogging down suddenly about 45 minutes ago. When I looked, I found one guest user was opening 30-40 simultaneous connections every few seconds, it looked like.

Could have been a deliberate attempt to mess things up, or perhaps someone running a utility to try and grab every message and copy it over the net to his hard disk. Can't think of any other reason . . .

He or she is using an ISP from Squamish, BC, fwiw.

The result was that the whole forum was crippled, and was crippling the server is runs on. The server load shot up to over 100x its normal load. :rant:

I blocked that IP :bat: , and the guest, if legit, will get a message saying "contact me to get back in" when he or she tries to visit again.

Sorry if I bumped anyone else off while I was trying to salvage the situation -- we're back to normal now.

Dory36

Slow right now, and for about 5-6 minutes yesterday in the afternoon I couldnt get any response either.

th said:
Slow right now, and for about 5-6 minutes yesterday in the afternoon I couldnt get any response either.
Yep - he's still hitting the server, just not getting to the forum. I'm blocking him at the server firewall now.

He hit the forum an average of 16 times a second in the past few minutes, even after I blocked the IP.

It might be something broader -- the whole data center where our server resides is getting hit hard as well -- so maybe we were just the tip of the iceburg.

Well hey, it wasn't me. I was doing the dishes then :)

Hey Dory, any angst about no boat? I am fixin' (talkin' Texan)
to buy a big one, or at least the biggest one I ever owned.
I know what I want and shopping should be fun. Paying
for it? Well, it may require a little of the old voo-doo
economics :)

JG

We've already started looking for suitable boats for when the granddaughter is old enough to enjoy going with us...

Meanwhile, we are getting her accustomed to being in a boat -- see her in her cradle...

Dory36

Attachments

• cradle.jpg
    cradle.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 67
MRGALT2U said:
Well hey, it wasn't me.  I was doing the dishes then  :)
I think the server was going through withdrawal -- JG away for hours!!

Back
Top Bottom