Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have noticed that the quantity and the quality of posts has diminished and that many long term posters have dis-appeared.
And yet the membership continues to grow and new records continue to be set for the number of users online. Guess the measure of 'quantity' and 'quality' is subjective?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
yet another one bites the dust. Possibly run off due to way overzealous moderators.
Or, possiby whisked off by a superhero to the Planet Krypton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi all,

I'm taking an indefinite break from the board.

Not that I think I'm so important to this board that anyone would miss me, but there are many here whom I consider friends who might wonder about me not posting for a while; a PM to those folks would inevitably leave out someone.

I'm not dead. I may return at some point. I will probably log in over the next few days to read any comments on this thread. I will not be explaining the reasons for my break except to say that there are multiple reasons, none of which have anything to do with my health, my FI(RE) plans, or any of the regular posters here.

Best wishes to all of you.

2Cor521

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And yet the membership continues to grow and new records continue to be set for the number of users online. Guess the measure of 'quantity' and 'quality' is subjective?

Spoken by a man with 25,000+ posts.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I suppose in your mind everything is just fine.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yet another one bites the dust. Possibly run off due to way overzealous moderators.

I have noticed that the quantity and the quality of posts has diminished and that many long term posters have dis-appeared.

What will all the moderators do when nobody posts anymore ? Oh sure their "job" will be easier but what's the point of it all.
I've been a member of a forum more tightly moderated (Bogleheads) and more loosely moderated sites, and I'd say the mods here walk that fine line pretty well. There's no chance everyone will agree with their decisions, so we owe them a little forgiveness no? The loose site I was on devolved into serious name calling and chaos, even a couple of (frivolous) lawsuits - and they're still limping along but they've really lost members. This place seems very active to me.

Your post violates Community Rules to begin with, but they let it go. Overzealous?

Careful what you wish for. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the mods do just fine. I am glad to see rude, negative posts go elsewhere. I've said it before, but hats off to those who spend so much of their time serving this forum
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First I think it only fair I admit that unlike you I lack the perspective of knowing what it feels like to have run afoul of the mods on numerous occasions. I also lack the experience of having flounced off the forum at least twice with what must have been highly satisfying "I'm Outta Here!" posts (the overzealous moderators seem to have deleted them or I'd be happy to provide links).

With those limitations in place, yes, I do think things are "just fine" - not that there isn't always some room for improvement.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What will all the moderators do when nobody posts anymore?
"What will you do all day?". We'll go about our lives like the rest of you.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Everybody needs a break every now and then. Very considerate of you to let us know.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
<snip> I also lack the experience of having flounced...
I flounced once and pulled a muscle...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I flounced once and pulled a muscle...
I know! I fell and broke my flounce a long time ago.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #33

Quote:
First I think it only fair I admit that unlike you I lack the perspective of knowing what it feels like to have run afoul of the mods on numerous occasions. I also lack the experience of having flounced off the forum on at least twice with what must have been highly satisfying "I'm Outta Here!" posts (the overzealous moderators seem to have deleted them or I'd be happy to provide links).

With those limitations in place, yes, I do think things are "just fine" - not that there isn't always some room for improvement.
You just can't take any fair minded criticism, can you? - Without posting something that is very mean spirited.

In my opinion your post is worse than anything I ever posted.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Your post violates Community Rules to begin with, but they let it go. Overzealous?
Oh so now overzealous is a banned word !

What have we come to around here ?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh so now overzealous is a banned word !

What have we come to around here ?
From the Community Rules FWIW...
Quote:
Any abuse toward our administrators or moderators may result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about a moderator's decision regarding a particular post are not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator.
They could have flicked you at post #18, but they didn't...hardly overzealous as you claim.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Careful what you wish for. YMMV
It's called "suicide by moderator"...

I'm just glad that 2Cor let us know what's on his mind. Too many MIAs that we have to keep wondering about.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
From the Community Rules FWIW...
They could have flicked you at post #18, but they didn't.
I don't see how his post violated the rules.

There's two potential violations one could make to break that rule you quoted. 1) abuse the mods, and/or 2) question their decision regarding a particular post.

I don't see that he did either. Maybe you interpret "abuse" differently than me?

This is not to say I agree or disagree with his position on the moderation of this site, but I don't see how his post saying the mods may be overzealous broke the rule you quoted.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

IBTL
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #39

What does any of this have to do with Early Retirement?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
As one of the relative newcomers, I appreciate those with much more experience and time on this board answering my questions. I search to see if something similar has been asked, but when I don't find a fit I ask away.

I understand that for some who have been here for many years you remember the threads triggered by a similar question and might find it annoying since the question has been asked and answered, but for those of us starting out on this journey I find it refreshing that so many are willing to pass on the knowledge that they've gained.

Once I've ditched my job I hope to be able to pay back to the newbies as well. So IMHO, the friendliness and willingness to answer the dumbest questions are part of what continues to bring us here in droves...that and the priceless 'What did you do today' thread.