Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think the moderators are over zealous here at all. Try posting some of what you have said in this thread at the BH site and see how fast they come down on you and rightfully so! I ran afoul of the rules a week ago and I was in the wrong for what I said. I apologized, I did not realize what I was saying was violating the rules but rules are rules so I will be careful to not do it again. I wouldn't tempt fate, your posts are asking for trouble IMO. If you are unhappy you can leave but if you want to stay it is not hard to color within the lines here. Just my 2 cents.

2Cor, good luck. I have enjoyed reading your posts and will miss you.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #42

It answers the question... what will you do all day? Filling up the busy day by responding to ER posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
What does any of this have to do with Early Retirement?
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #43

Hope you enjoy your time away and come back again someday.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #44

If you want to see the same question asked a zillion different ways, try Bogleheads
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the bike forum, I started a thread called:

Sh*t my Derailleur Does (take off on the book Sh*t my Dad Says)

and it was modified to

Stuff my Derailleur Does
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

I will miss you . I've watched you evolve from a new divorcee to a single Dad doing a great job while still working towards retirement .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
yet another one bites the dust. Possibly run off due to way overzealous moderators.

I have noticed that the quantity and the quality of posts has diminished and that many long term posters have dis-appeared.

What will all the moderators do when nobody posts anymore ? Oh sure their "job" will be easier but what's the point of it all.
I'm late to this thread, but with all due respect, I don't agree at all. I think the mods do a good job overall and there is a lot of good dialogue. I've only had one "difficult situation" with a mod in the 18 months or so on this board and in some instance I have purposefully tried to be controversial.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm late to this thread, but with all due respect, I don't agree at all. I think the mods do a good job overall and there is a lot of good dialogue.
I second this viewpoint. I have only been "moderated" once (that I can recall), and in that instance I needed the mod's help to delete a post I submitted that I didn't know how to do myself. The response was prompt and friendly, and I appreciated the positive attitude.

Another time (again, only once), a moderator closed a thread that to me and possibly others was quite upsetting - again, an appreciated effort.

But to the original post on this thread: there are plenty of reasons to take a break from any site, and it's good to do so. I think there are many people who will look forward to your return when you choose to do so
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #49
gone traveling

I think this is a pretty liberal and friendly place and the mods do a good job in policing, as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
... as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.
Does "bacon" fit into both categories?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yep
Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I've decided to try to avoid posting on potentially controversial topics, such as nutrition and health.

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view.

Example:

Let's say someone posts "You will need 70% of your salary when you retire." I can't help but to post that someone who makes $200K per year, but only spends $40K per year, is not going to need $140K per year after retiring."

But even if that poster changes his/her mind (unlikely), someone else will post the same idea, and the cycle will continue.

This will be my compromise between a complete cessation of posting and continuing as I do now.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I never let a thread topic keep me from posting - on topic or not - I just like to post.

heh heh heh - besides some things bear repeating. I think?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think this is a pretty liberal and friendly place and the mods do a good job in policing, as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.
+1. I've been disciplined a couple times a few years back and it was justified. I issued apologies and all is forgiven. You can't hold a grudge because some post didn't go your way or if a moderator took you to task for some viewpoint. I find the forum very interesting but more informative than anything. Maybe it's time for a big thank you to the mod's for doing a great job knowing fullwell that you are way overpaid.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
+1. I appreciate the civil discussion and thoughtful moderation here. Kudos.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've decided to try to avoid posting on potentially controversial topics, such as nutrition and health.
Health and nutrition is an area where you are experienced and informed and bring an attitude of self experimentation. I would hate to see you stop sharing on these topics. Health is like psychology and stock markets- many think they know all there is to know. But if sometimes they are wrong, (or perhaps right, but only in their own individual case), is no reason to stop sharing what you believe.

My sister has diabetes only marginally controlled. She thinks she is slim, and she thinks she eats low carb. But it is only a dream. I shared information with her and with my brother. He turned his diabetes completely around to where his A1C is not even prediabetic, after 35 years of diabetes. Sister continues to get worse. Nothing can be done. In these situations, I comfort myself by recalling that knowledge is less than half of the battle, and maybe to her it is just not worth it. On a personal level, she is much more pleasant than he is.

This is not a criticism of you, it is a request that you keep posting on these topics. Some will learn from you, and use all or part of what you say. (I have learned from you, since I know that whatever you say is based on some personal or published information).

For example, I believe that very few of us could spend 1000 kc/day exercising and not keep weight stable or slowly decreasing. At the same time, in almost 9 months my highest daily output was 952 kc. So I know I am not going to keep weight stable at this point in my life solely on output. Because of this, and also my blood sugar concerns, I find low carb by far the most comfortable and effective method to go along with the level of exercise that I am willing and able to do. But I think that there is no mandatory diet for everyone. Look at all the skinny vegans! Anyway, it is good to have intelligent partisans like yourself to hold up one end of a discussion.

I come here mainly to learn. To keep up my end of the bargain, I think I should post when I have experience or insights or information that bear on the topic, even if my opinion is less popular or well accepted than others. This does not mean that I am wrong, or that I am right, or even that anyone necessarily disagrees with me- they may have me on ignore! people can see things quite differently from me, but that does not make it a disagreement. It only becomes a disagreement when we start a bilateral or multilateral argument.

Ha
Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view...
If I find a post on a topic I consider to be one of my many strengths, I will contribute my POV. However I have no compulsion to argue/defend the position. After all, there are always 2 opposing viewpoints on most topics. I let people take the advice for what they paid for it!

I agree that contentious topics can never be resolved online. So I stay away.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If I find a post on a topic I consider to be one of my many strengths, I will contribute my POV. However I have no compulsion to argue/defend the position. After all, there are always 2 opposing viewpoints on most topics. I let people take the advice for what they paid for it!

I agree that contentious topics can never be resolved online. So I stay away.
Hmmmm - perhaps more than two. Other than yes or no I agree or don't agree. How about maybe but have you tryed this or that?

heh heh heh - sometimes a topic generates a surprise aha - sending me off to Google for more info.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view.
Well I would hope you don't quite posting on controversial topics!

I do like it when people post on those topics even if I may not agree with that person's point of view. I do like to hear the explanation although I may or may not agree with it. But then (perhaps because of my professional background) it doesn't bother me to see two people have strongly held, but differing views on a topic. It is all information to weigh.

What I do want to see is civility in posting another point of view and treating the person with respect even if one disagrees. I have found your posts civil.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Dittoe what the others have said, if you stop posting our collective health IQ will go down immensely. Please keep on doing on.