Join Early Retirement Today

"Thanks" function hair trigger
Old 09-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Thanks" function hair trigger

Twice now, I have been in the process of sending a "Thanks" to a poster and had it... oh, I don't know, let's say "disappear." This happens when I am about halfway through my comment. Now was the partial message sent? Or was the whole process cancelled? Seems the only option I have at that point is to start the process all over... which makes one feel quite embarrased if two "thanks" are sent.

It would be nice if there was a way (perhaps in the User CP screen) to see the "thanks" that one has sent.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Twice now, I have been in the process of sending a "Thanks" to a poster and had it... oh, I don't know, let's say "disappear." This happens when I am about halfway through my comment.
"It was an accident officer, the mouse went off in my hand."
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea why, but something like that happens to me also. The thank you input area winds up way above the thanks button, and I can find it by scrolling up. This is recent and could have something to do with the transition to a new skin? It also happens when I try to look at a profile; sometimes it's easier to get into the profile from the names at the bottom of the page. I believe the system is set up so that it will not allow a second thank you.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The software won't let you send two "thanks" for the same post, as I recall. So, you should be fine.

Sometimes my "thanks" message disappears before I am done too, but if I click on the "thanks" button again it comes back with whatever I had typed already there. So then all that is necessary is to complete the message.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear that it is happening to others also. I was beginning to think that my touchpad was going wonky.

Also glad to hear that I proabably haven't been sending double thanks.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Administrator

I'll keep my eyes open for a solution so you can see who you have thanked.

The way its developed is to hide when you click anywhere outside the pop-up box. Could the pop-up be closing because you click somewhere on the screen outside the Thanks box?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post

The way its developed is to hide when you click anywhere outside the pop-up box. Could the pop-up be closing because you click somewhere on the screen outside the Thanks box?
In my case, YES - - I am pretty sure that that is why it is disappearing.

It has not been a problem for me at all, because when I click on the "Thanks" button it re-appears.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Actually, that was my first thought but, alas, it weren't so.

The bad part of this I cannot duplicate on purpose.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here's something else about the Thanks feature. Apparently, when you thank someone, the message they get looks like this:
Hey TromboneAl, thanks for that info!

Please thank other members for their posts if you find them useful. It's a nice way to let each other know you appreciate their input.

Regards,

UserName

Now, the first time I got a Thanks with this new system, I thought that the thanker had written that; after the second one, I realized that it was automatic.

No big deal, but it kind of puts words in the thankers mouth. I'm glad it doesn't say something like "And please stop being an a******."
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Administrator

Ron, if you can duplicate the pop-up issue, please let me know. I am subscribed to this thread so posting here will get my attention. As I said, I will keep my eyes open for the other issue, ie. so members can see a summary of people they have thanks.

Al, the top line of the automated email says "Note: This is an automated message regarding this post:"

For those who like Food Network, the title of the PM "You have been thanked" is better then "You have been chopped".

If you all have any other text that you think would make the thanks system better, please post it. Our goal was trying to encourage members to send more Thanks to each other (who doesn't like positive feedback). This was built for the sailing site (link) and in our testing, over 100 days, the amount of Thanks that people left increased 50%. The opt-out feature was included so members can turn off these PMs if they don't want them.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you all have any other text that you think would make the thanks system better, please post it. Our goal was trying to encourage members to send more Thanks to each other (who doesn't like positive feedback). This was built for the sailing site (link) and in our testing, over 100 days, the amount of Thanks that people left increased 50%. The opt-out feature was included so members can turn off these PMs if they don't want them.
How about just making it a single line pop-up, like "You have been thanked by xxxxx." Then the thankee can go look at it if they care without having to go through the whole private message/delete thing. I don't get that many thanks, but the new format is already getting annoying. I don't think my suggestion would decrease the number of thanks, either. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I tend to agree with Harley and Al on this. I think just putting in whatever they wrote in the thanks field and the opt out message is sufficient.
Probably no need to add the "Please thank other members" part.
I do think it is nice to get the email, but I'd like it to be a shorter message.

Or could we get a pull down menu of choices of "thanks" phrases that includes Al's "stop being an ***".
j/k/... sorta....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Harley 100%. A pop-up would suffice, and then we wouldn't have to go to our PMs every time, read the PM, and delete it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
How about just making it a single line pop-up, like "You have been thanked by xxxxx." Then the thankee can go look at it if they care without having to go through the whole private message/delete thing. I don't get that many thanks, but the new format is already getting annoying. I don't think my suggestion would decrease the number of thanks, either. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

What was wrong with the previous system. (The if it ain't broke don't fix it conundrum.)
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Administrator

I'll look into these options when I can find resources for it. This was developed months ago and test show it helped encourage members to use the system more often.

If you don't like the PMs, it's as simple as 3 clicks. Go to the UserCP Options here is the links:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...do=editoptions

Then uncheck Thanks PM Notification. Then save your changes and no PMs will be sent. I will look into adding an option to change this to a pop-up when resources permit.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think the thanks function is getting overly complicated, Andy. I liked that you could read a post, think "hey, that was good!" and click the thanks button and add a word or two if you liked. No biggie. If they didn't see it for a while, it's just a thanks, they'll still enjoy it when they eventually see it.

I'm less likely to use the thanks function now that it generates a separate PM too; and the wording in the PM that encourages thanks receivers to increase their thanking is unnecessary. Personally, if I wanted someone to get a PM with my thanks sentiment, I'd rather send the PM myself and skip the thanks function.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think the thanks function is getting overly complicated, Andy. I liked that you could read a post, think "hey, that was good!" and click the thanks button and add a word or two if you liked. No biggie. If they didn't see it for a while, it's just a thanks, they'll still enjoy it when they eventually see it.

I'm less likely to use the thanks function now that it generates a separate PM too; and the wording in the PM that encourages thanks receivers to increase their thanking is unnecessary. Personally, if I wanted someone to get a PM with my thanks sentiment, I'd rather send the PM myself and skip the thanks function.
What she said
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Al, the top line of the automated email says "Note: This is an automated message regarding this post:"
Actually, it isn't exactly automated. The message was sent because somebody hit the "Thank you" button.

I don't like all the extra text either. I have trouble finding the real message buried in the boilerplate. It really confused me the first time I got a thank you in which the sender didn't add any text. I read the thing several times before I realized that there wasn't any real message there.

I agree that simpler boilerplate would be better. Something like:
Joe Blow has thanked you for this posting xxx.
Please thank members for ...
He has included this message:

Thank you for that insightful posting.

Some typographical difference between the boilerplate and message would help a lot.

I don't want to pick nits. It is great to be talking about such small details. Things like this are part of what makes this site nice to use.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I agree that simpler boilerplate would be better. Something like:
Joe Blow has thanked you for this posting xxx.
Please thank members for ...
He has included this message:

Thank you for that insightful posting.
I might like to have a choice of including this instead:

Thank you for that incite-ful post!

j/k

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #20

Im still getting a pm when I receive a thanks. I do not have the option selected. I dont know if you think its fixed or not. Just a heads up.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote