Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Thanks message and its content
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks message and its content

Occasionally I get a Thanks message and I also try to remember to thank others. This is a very nice gesture and a good forum feature. I would like to see the message that goes out better reflect what the sender actually entered. The current Thanks message looks like this:
Quote:
You have been thanked!
Note: This is an automated message regarding this post:
Intereview worth reading if you invest - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this post that you made. It's contributions like this that make this such a great community.

Comment: Excellent article! Thanks for posting

Please thank other members for their posts if you find them useful. It's a nice way to let each other know you appreciate their input.

Regards,

Lsbcal

Reminder: You can always see who has thanked you for you post by going to your User Control Panel and looking below your subscribed threads.

To disable automated PMs like this from being sent when someone thanks you for your contribution please click here and look for the "Thanks PM Notification" options.
The red lettering is what the user actually wrote in the little box after clicking "Thanks". All the other stuff is automated.

When I first read this I thought the person had written the green sentences too and that maybe it was a slight criticism of my not using the Thanks feature enough. Of course, after some time I came to realize he had not written that and it was just my misinterpretation. But note the green sentences are in the body of the message so that's what a newer forum member might think.

I think that my written message should be placed at the head and followed by my "Regards, Lsbcal". Then the other automated stuff should be added as a footnote. To me this would be more in keeping with the message I had intended to send.

Or another way to do this is to give us control of the total content of a thank you message. I suppose I could just PM the person to do this but it would be nice if the Thanks feature was redesigned.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

As a member, I happen to agree with you. It's hard to figure out what part of the thanks were put in by the thanker, and what parts are automated. That makes these messages confusing to me sometimes.

I will send a link to this thread on up the line to see if they might consider adjusting the automated verbiage. My choice would be to remove the parts I have made pink, below:

Quote:
You have been thanked!Note: This is an automated message regarding this post:
Intereview worth reading if you invest - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this post that you made. It's contributions like this that make this such a great community.

Comment: Excellent article! Thanks for posting

Please thank other members for their posts if you find them useful. It's a nice way to let each other know you appreciate their input.

Regards,

Lsbcal

Reminder: You can always see who has thanked you for you post by going to your User Control Panel and looking below your subscribed threads.

To disable automated PMs like this from being sent when someone thanks you for your contribution please click here and look for the "Thanks PM Notification" options.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have the decision makers post their comments here so we can all thank them!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think the thanks feature is nice, the suggested improvements as well.

I always smile when I get them, I appreciate them. There's no "you're welcome" button, but I try to write a short something back if someone adds a comment to a "thanks".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Administrator

Thanks is a nice feature, and like in real life, is best when short, simple and to the point.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. The Thanks notification PM has been amended.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

How to post a new thread?

I wish I could figure ouy how to post a new thread.
Newlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
This is great. I sent a "Thanks" to Janet on this.

Could someone send me a test "Thanks" so I can see the new format. I cannot thank myself unfortunately . I just need one sent and I'll report back with the example of the new format.

I promise this is the only time I will actually ask for a "Thanks".
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here is the new look of the "Thanks" feature courtesy of W2R:

Quote:
You have been thanked!
Note: This is an automated message regarding this post:
Thanks message and its content - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this post that you made.

Comment: Let us know what the changes are, on the thread! I am dying to know.

Regards,

W2R

Thanks W2R for sending this to me. Thanks again to Janet for making the changes.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

That looks a lot better! Many thanks to Janet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Administrator

Much improved. Thanks Janet, also Lsbcal for the suggestion.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonster2 View Post
I wish I could figure ouy how to post a new thread.
Go to the "forums" page. Click on the forum you want to post on. In the upper left there should be a "new thread" button. Click on it and start writing.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This is great. I sent a "Thanks" to Janet on this.

Could someone send me a test "Thanks" so I can see the new format. I cannot thank myself unfortunately . I just need one sent and I'll report back with the example of the new format.

I promise this is the only time I will actually ask for a "Thanks".
Very Good! A public "Thanks" to you both (Lsbcal and Janet H).

I always thought the Thanks feature was far too verbose, but never took the time to offer suggestions.

Would it be much effort to make the Thanks dialog box a bit bigger? And maybe ask before submitting? I recall the first time I tried to use it, I typed a few words, and then a 'return' to start a new line, and the "Thanks" was sent - whooooosh!!! (with an incomplete sentence). I know it's meant to be short, but it is pretty hard to type a full thought when only a few characters are shown.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Would it be much effort to make the Thanks dialog box a bit bigger? And maybe ask before submitting? I recall the first time I tried to use it, I typed a few words, and then a 'return' to start a new line, and the "Thanks" was sent - whooooosh!!! (with an incomplete sentence). I know it's meant to be short, but it is pretty hard to type a full thought when only a few characters are shown.

-ERD50

Mulling over the logistics of this......
Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nm
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt change!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Quote:
Mulling over the logistics of this......
I should clarify this (and hopefully make it easier to implement). I don't think an extra verification is needed before submitting, but maybe just make it so 'Return/Enter' doesn't create the default action of sending the message. A normal post does not work that way, so this inconsistency can cause problems when you hit return/enter with the (mistaken) intention of starting a new line.

Related to this, I think a few of us mentioned in the past that it would be nice to have a "Send a PM to username About this Post" option in the drop-down menu when you click the poster's username. It would automatically include a link to the post, as the "Thanks" 'PM' does. This would be useful when you want to make a fuller/formatted PM reply than the "Thanks" dialog allows, and is specific to the post. It would save us the effort of having to find and copy and paste the link of that post to add as a reference, and save the receiver from wondering - "what post is this person talking about?".

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I think the existing "Thanks" button and the "PM" (drop down from member name) are enough as is, I don't see a need for a "PM linked to post" is necessary. Easy enough to mention the topic in existing PM function. This forum is a free service to all of us. My 2 cents...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I only use the thanks button to send dirty jokes to people...was there something else it was supposed to be for? .....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote