Turning over a new leaf in the Soap Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
As one of our more eloquent moderators phrased it, "What we are really trying to avoid is the continuation of the threads whose sum and substance was, for example, 'Obama is a terrorist communist' or 'Palin is an ignorant fascist'. They did nothing but get people upset with each other..." Posts of this nature will no longer be appropriate on our forums. Raw politics brings out the worst in people and lowers the tone of the board. There are plenty of other places where this sort of discussion is allowed.

Yet one of the most popular topics on here was when Palin was chosen as VP running mate. It had over 1000 replies in a week. I don't recall any "Palin is a fascist" talk in there....:)

We are getting close to "overmoderation", IMHO. But, hey, it's YOUR board.........:D

Over moderation FD? Really? Did you just say that with a straight face? Give me a break!
And another vote for Hendrix, although Ha is surely my long lost cousin since we both love the Allman Brothers!

Allman Brothers At The Fillmore East is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Over moderation FD? Really? Did you just say that with a straight face? Give me a break!

I am with FD. Don't get me wrong the team of moderators do a great job moderating, I don't see a lot of unfair or arbitrarily decisions. However, at times it is like a basketball game were the refs are constantly calling fouls, travels etc. They aren't doing anything wrong but it disrupts the flow of the game and the fan enjoyment.

Don't get me wrong a basketball game without ref degenerates into jungle ball, and forum without moderation turns into USNET. But I think some forums especially the Soapbox forum would be benefit from reactive approach, where the moderators don't read any posts as moderators unless some people complain. Something to seriously consider next election cycle.

I'm not sure how anyone can comment one the level of moderation, and whether that level is good/bad. I am unaware of how much really goes on.

There have been times that I have subscribed to a thread, and I have seen a few posts emailed to me that were deleted shortly thereafter. But there was no evidence of this otherwise (that I know of). Someone who viewed the thread, but never got the post emailed would not know that any moderation took place. So I have no idea how often that happens.

-ERD50

Well closed threads, moderator warnings, moderator edits (almost always for profanity/personal attacks I assume), and deleted post give me some idea.

On the Motley Fool when a post is pulled you can almost always tell or somebody well complain there post is pulled. Here complaining about moderation almost always gets a posted pulled... We will see if this post survives.

So my reference is here vs the Motley Fool or the WSJ, or a place like Slate. In general I find a more active moderation here compared to other sites. On the good side I enjoy the discussion more here also. If there is a cause and effect I am not sure.

In general, here's a tip to avoid getting moderated: Don't be a jerk. That will pretty much encompass the entire moderating experience I've had. Glad I could help. :)

And thanks for the compliment, clifp, I think, on that the moderation here might be what makes your experience a better one than other, less moderated, boards. :)

In general, here's a tip to avoid getting moderated: Don't be a jerk. That will pretty much encompass the entire moderating experience I've had. Glad I could help. :)

And thanks for the compliment, clifp, I think, on that the moderation here might be what makes your experience a better one than other, less moderated, boards. :)
Good advice Sarah. I hadn't thought of it but it summarizes what the community rules are all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom