Unexpected Refreshing of Web Page

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know if it is a problem with this web page or my browser, but I often get a message that "a problem with Internet Explorer has forced this web page to refresh" or something similar to occur fairly often.

This isn't generally an issue although it can be annoying if I happen to be typing a response because I will lose what I have typed. If I have typed a decent amount of text, I lose that text and have to retype it from scratch (which happened earlier this morning). It would be pretty lousy if I have to type all my responses elsewhere and paste them in. Or, sometimes, I become so angry that I don't bother retyping it (or I can't remember everything I typed).

I have gotten into the habit of copying all posts (to any forum, not just ER) to the clipboard before hitting the Submit button because that I have found to be a vulnerable moment to lose posts anywhere. But I have to get to that point first without an unexpected "refresh" occurring.

I notice it jumps around when viewing pages in Safari on my phone... it's pretty annoying.

You should probably switch to Edge but copying your text is still a good idea with any browser. The page could time out or something else could happen. Sometimes I don't even trust the clipboard and I paste text into notepad at different stages of composing it.

I tried Edge a few years ago and hated it. Once in a while, I try to go to a page from an online search which IE can't open, so it opens up edge by default.

I use Chrome for some websites where I know in advance IE works badly with, even if I am trying to simply open them. I don't care for Chrome much, either, but don't despise it like I do Edge.

Definitely quit Explorer. Using Explorer is like sending your sign-on information to Boris and Pavel, and then wondering why somebody has stolen your identity.

Personally, I like Firefox. It's very security oriented. Combining with Duck Duck Go as your search engine seems a good choice.

I'm not looking to turn this into a debate about which browser to use, thank you. The many other websites I use don't have this refreshing problem, so am sure it is not an IE problem. Someone else using Safari is having a similar problem.

That must be so aggravating! My sympathies.

I understand how reluctant you are to change browsers. Wish I could make a helpful suggestion. My favorite browser these days is Chromium Edge (Microsoft's default browser in recent years), and I have never had any unexpected refreshing of web pages, not even once. But if you don't want to change, you don't want to change and I get it.

I'm not looking to turn this into a debate about which browser to use, thank you. The many other websites I use don't have this refreshing problem, so am sure it is not an IE problem. Someone else using Safari is having a similar problem.

It is likely an incompatibility issue with ads or other content on the page. IE is old technology at this point and frankly web pages are configured for current operating systems and browsers. It's a hard pill to swallow. If you are dead set on retaining IE, try an ad blocker and see if it helps... Edge, Chrome or Firefox should give better results and faster page loads.

You can have more than one browser loaded on your system, opting to use IE most of the time and a more modern browser only when needed.

Back
Top Bottom