Join Early Retirement Today

Unexpected window closure
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Unexpected window closure

Twice today, the active window in which I was in the process of creating a reply to a post just closed on me without warning. I lost the text entered and could not find the window anywhere in memory.

Mac OS 10.6, Firefox (latest).

Could be at my end since it's a new computer, but notifying you just in case others have noticed the same problem.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Twice today, the active window in which I was in the process of creating a reply to a post just closed on me without warning. I lost the text entered and could not find the window anywhere in memory.

Mac OS 10.6, Firefox (latest).

Could be at my end since it's a new computer, but notifying you just in case others have noticed the same problem.

Rich
Sounds like one of those sneaky Mac viruses to me...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds like one of those sneaky Mac viruses to me...
You want fries with that?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That's a provision in the new health care regulations--doctors can have a window open for only thirty seconds at a time, and only four times a day, before coming under review.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's a provision in the new health care regulations--doctors can have a window open for only thirty seconds at a time, and only four times a day, before coming under review.
Everyone's a comedian around here...

But you have no idea what I was about to post when the wheels came off. It was a doozy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Everyone's a comedian around here...

But you have no idea what I was about to post when the wheels came off. It was a doozy.
They always are. The best stuff always gets away!

-- Rita
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

About 2 hours ago (3:30 PM EDT), I got hit with a windowbomb. That is, dozens of IE windows from this website opened over and over when I tried to open a page from here (not my home page). I was able to close all the windows which were listed as a single IEXPLORE.EXE entry in Task Manager (not separate entries) so I was able to shut them all at once. I also lost the use of IE (6.0) for a little while.

I shut down my system for a short time, then ran a quick antivirus scan which showed no problems. After I rebooted, everything is back to normal but I was a little hesitant to return to this website. All is well for me here, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whew! What a relief!

When I read, "Unexpected window closure", I thought maybe you were fondly looking out into your sunny, lovely back yard through an open kitchen window, when the window suddenly and unexpectedly closed, smashing your thumb painfully!!

Glad it wasn't that...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:

Rich
Happened to me yesterday - I hit the submit button but nothing was posted. I figured it was because of those #@$% democrats in congress but that it's gonna get better in November...

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another observation for our crackpot tech support squad: it felt like a timer went off and closed the window after about the same interval both times, but it was not a real long time (in other words the window wasn't sitting idle for more than a couple of minutes tops

Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Distorted perception of time... paranoid feelings...

someone's been sampling the brownies...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

TIP:

If I'm ever having problems posting or entering into a site text box, I get in the habit of hitting SELECT-ALL and COPY after writing a few lines. At least then, if it does close/crash, you have your work in the copy buffer. Easy to recover.

Bu no, I'm not having problems currently at this site (though I've been posting from Linux/FireFox , not from my Mac).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
Administrator

Thanks for the report... some possibilities:

1. If you develop spots or a fever, seek professional help.
2. The laptop is trying to tell you to go for a bike ride - this is apples latest lifestyle assistant feature. Say 'yes dear' and comply - it's just easier...
3. Try rebooting including deleting temp files and cookies, make sure that you've updated java, flash, etc.... check for the most recent firefox update (there were two last week).

Seriously - we haven't had other reports - but please post again if it continues....