Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Updated" ER App for IPAD
Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just updated the ER app for iPad and I do not like the new version. The old version showed when a thread was last updated...very handy I thought. The new version integrates sponsored links with the forum topics....perhaps needed if funding was an issue, but annoying.

If you haven't updated, my advice is DON'T!
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Never mind. Some of my objections were because I had not signed in to the forum. I am channeling Roseanne Roseanna Danna!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I never updated the ER app and I got the new version also. I never had to login from iPhone before (ever). The ads intermixed with real posts are awful.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

The android app is also updated. I was annoyed initially (because, you know, change is bad!) Then I got used to it.

I still prefer the old version - but I'm ok with the new version.

I definitely notice (and am annoyed by) the ads, though.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yikes! The ads are thrown right into the timeline topics on the left side and disguised as User Names.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

I really don't like the way ads are mixed in now.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not like the new app either. The ads are annoying.
nate2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use the Android version on my nexus tablet. I use dark mode, and it is very annoying in several ways. More ads, and bright pictures on the left interspersed in the topics list.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never updated either. My phone said the app crashed. It did not. What's with the ads? Where's the timeline? I cannot look at the threads. I don't like the concept of "trending", since this entire forum is about not following the trend.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

That is why I only use a PC with Adblock for Forums. Being as I have NEVER purchased anything based on an On Line ad I did not search for, or even read any for that matter, they are not losing anything from me.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The android app is also updated. I was annoyed initially (because, you know, change is bad!) Then I got used to it.

I still prefer the old version - but I'm ok with the new version.

Maybe I should put this in the 'pet peeve' thread, but I'm really bothered by this attitude that we just need to 'get used to' updates, and that people are resistant to change. Maybe you were using some satire there, but your line ' I prefer the old, but ok with the new'. If developers go through the trouble to update something, it sure ought to be better, not just OK with people preferring the old. Why change?

I find people LOVE change, if it is positive change. Yes, sometimes in order to get to the positive change, you have to disrupt old habits, and that can take some getting used to, and create some problems while you adapt. But generally, many of the 'updates' we see are just not improvements at all, often go backwards, and often appear to be change for change's sake.

BTW, I turned ad block off for this site as a test (desktop version). The ads on it don't bother me, they aren't too intrusive, but I also can't imagine I'd ever click on one. They sometimes reflect something I've shopped for, so I've already looked at it. But I guess it pays the bills.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #12

ERD50 - I was laughing at myself and my resistance to change for sure. But I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I was ok with the new version... There are toher things to get upset about... And since I have teenagers - I have a lot more pressing things to be annoyed by. It's a choice.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD50 - I was laughing at myself and my resistance to change for sure. But I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I was ok with the new version... There are toher things to get upset about... And since I have teenagers - I have a lot more pressing things to be annoyed by. It's a choice.
OK, but upset or not, my point is that developers should be providing updates that people like, not something they can just tolerate. Maybe sometimes there are other issues they need to address, and that forces them to make other changes that affect the user, but I bet that is pretty rare.

There generally is no shortage of things that could be improved on just about any site, yet, things often go backwards for users, rather than forward.

-ERD50
Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, but upset or not, my point is that developers should be providing updates that people like, not something they can just tolerate. Maybe sometimes there are other issues they need to address, and that forces them to make other changes that affect the user, but I bet that is pretty rare.

There generally is no shortage of things that could be improved on just about any site, yet, things often go backwards for users, rather than forward.

-ERD50
Disclaimer - the following is my opinion as a user and has nothing to do with me being a moderator. As a moderator, I have nothing to do with the app and how it works.

As a former software developer - you have to remember who's paying the app developers... the owners of the site - NOT THE USERS. Presumably the owners are trying to better monetize the app (which didn't have ads as overt before.) That is their right.

I worked developing cable tv settop boxes for a few decades... The end user had NOTHING to do with the features we worked hardest on - things like ad insertion, etc. The customer was not the end user... the customer was the MSO - Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Adelphia, etc... They were the ones buying the settop boxes from us. If they saw a way to increase revenues - they pushed for the software to allow capture of that revenue. The end user might not like it - but as long as they didn't cut the cord or need a truck roll... it was all good.

I'm not saying that the customer (er.org's owner) should discount the end user (us). But the reality is that these app changes likely increased ad revenue which is good for the owners bottom line.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not saying that the customer (er.org's owner) should discount the end user (us). But the reality is that these app changes likely increased ad revenue which is good for the owners bottom line.
Certainly - the owners need to balance their revenue stream with their user's satisfaction. And they don't need to be mutually exclusive.

From the replies so far, it sounds like some will not be using the mobile app, so maybe they erred too far on one side. Their problem though.

-ERD50
Old 10-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't mind the ads as much as the fact it seems to have slowed down
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #17

I've noticed that some users use the tapatalk app to read the forum. Is this a good alternative?
Old 10-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm not saying that the customer (er.org's owner) should discount the end user (us).

Ok. Glad you clarified that because it is EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read through your post.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I've noticed that some users use the tapatalk app to read the forum. Is this a good alternative?

I believe they are one and the same now. On Tapatalk I think you can pay a subscription to remove the ads.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #20

I have Tapatalk and I checked last night and it was still the same way it has always been - no ads.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote