Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is "Remember me" supposed to do?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is "Remember me" supposed to do?

So - I always click "remember me" but every time I come back, I have to login again.

It doesn't remember my user name, even though I've updated the bookmark.

In other forums I frequent, I can set things so that I never have to enter my user name or password - I'm always logged in.

Here, I'm never logged in and it doesn't remember even my user name.

Thanks for any tips.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Please make sure you are accessing the site with the www. in front of the domain name. If you login from Early Retirement then it will not work properly.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #3

True - unless I go in through www.early-retirement.org it won't even let me in at all.

But it never remembers my username.

I like being able to be logged in all the time.

Anybody else figured out to how stay logged in even when returning?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #4

Andy - couldn't you revise the page "without" the www to redirect - or couldn't it at least state that it is no longer a valid front door to the forums?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Andy - couldn't you revise the page "without" the www to redirect - or couldn't it at least state that it is no longer a valid front door to the forums?
Yes, I have been looking into how to do this, I hope to have a redirect in place shortly.

I am also looking for a tool to show you all cookies related to ER. I think that is a big cause.

Please try this and report back:
When logged in with the www. before the domain name, use the logout link (top right) and let the system log you out. You should see a message to the effect of all cookies cleared. Then login again (with the www.). Close your browser and then open it up again and come back to ER. You should be able to stay logged in. Please report back so I can try to get a handle on this and put together a guide to help others.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #6

Okay - did the steps above - exactly as outlined - with the logout, cookies cleared message, close browser, come back, login, close browser, open browser, come back to ER - to no avail. Never remembered, never still logged in.

Is anyone reading this able to stay logged in after closing all browser windows and coming back?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #7

I forgot to ask you if you've been getting any sleep
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Administrator

I changed some settings that should allow logins from both early-retirement.org and www.early-retirement.org. Hopefully that will help for some people.

As for your issue spncity, can you give it another try now and report back. Thanks for your help troubleshooting this. Sorry, it's been a pain but once we get it figured out you will be able to stay logged in without any problems.

Also, it would be good if others could chime in with a something like "staying logged in, no problem" or "having to login each time I visit". That way we will have more feedback to work with.

Lastly, are you talking about me getting some sleep? If so, then the answer is "a little", sometimes I think I am crazy for trying to make a business out of forums. A lot of work, sites with tons of pages views and very low revenue per page but I am very passionate that online forum communities are very special and important parts of the internet and not having to work from an office and traveling around the world makes it worth every hour of lost sleep.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Please make sure you are accessing the site with the www. in front of the domain name. If you login from Early Retirement then it will not work properly.

This worked for ME.....

Went to favorites and just added the www and now I come in with my name etc.... just like before...

If you are using Firfox, make sure you don't have the site blocked for cookies... my BIL did that with a site and could not figure out what was wrong...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Staying logged in, no problem. Firefox 2.0.0.3.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
I am forgotten, too...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am forgotten, too...

...And this is the address in my link in Firefox 1.5.0.11 bookmarks manager:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #12

Hi Andy

Whatever you did seems to have solved it - thank you. The forum now "remembers" me and I'm feeling much better about myself - har-har

Glad you are getting a little sleep at least . . .
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
...And this is the address in my link in Firefox 1.5.0.11 bookmarks manager:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/
For those of you who are still having trouble, please delete your ER cookies.

Ed, here is how to do this in Firefox: Tools >> Options >> Privacy >> Show Cookies and delete all of them for Early-Retirement.org

Please report back...
To change Internet Explorer bookmark
Old 05-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

To change Internet Explorer bookmark

To fix the log-in problem for users with IE just go to you bookmark for this site, right click, select properties, highlight the URL box and enter www. ahead of early retirement etc , apply the change and you are done