Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

<sigh>

Ladelfina, lighten up. Are you so mired in political debate you can no longer recognize a joke when you see one? I was pointing out what I thought was the humorous absurdity of Sam's suggestion to move this to the Soapbox.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ladelfina, from your posts (#1 and #11) on this thread, it seems to me that what you really want to know is how the ER forum breaks down in this election. You feel, and perhaps correctly so, that the vote that we are getting from the poll on Soapbox may not be a representative sample, since many may not be aware of it existence. It seems to me the simple solution would be for the moderators (if they want to) to put up a forum-wide poll in a special thread, with no discussion allowed, that everyone can see and know is there. Then anyone who wants to participate can vote anonymously, and you will presumably have as good a representative sample as you're going to get.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I try to read the Soapbox as much as I can, as part of my Mod duties.

Before becoming a Moderator, I was no fan of the Soapbox. I was about as likely to look at a thread in the Soapbox as to look at those beheading videos that Islamic terrorists put online (and no, I never looked at those either!!)

Most people already have their minds made up before the discussion in these threads even begins. Frankly I am not sure why people get their jollies arguing politics, but I am OK with that, as long as they don't violate our Community Rules.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really like the fact that we have a Soap Box to hold those threads. That type of discourse is unavoidable in an election year and I think it decreases the spit Moderators would receive if we deleted that type of discussion.

FYI, I recently had wrist/arm surgery from the result of a bad fall.. probably in a long cast on my dominant hand for another 4 weeks. More reading than commenting for a while.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
sam, REW, notmuchlonger.. you are being the problematic, argumentative ones here. You can see my practical reason for asking; I stated it twice.

It's not my fault that people used the opportunity to sound off one way or the other.
Yes, sorry, I was making a little joke. I hope people can still take a little joshing around here.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I think the majority of people I have on ignore are there due more to lack of a recognizable (by me anyway) sense of humor than for their opinions. I get tired of some people shaking their fingers at other people who are just having fun.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hmm,new here,so no idea what your are all writing about.

Ignorance is bliss?

Sometimes for sure :-)
MovedToFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
ladelfina, from your posts (#1 and #11) on this thread, it seems to me that what you really want to know is how the ER forum breaks down in this election. You feel, and perhaps correctly so, that the vote that we are getting from the poll on Soapbox may not be a representative sample, since many may not be aware of it existence. It seems to me the simple solution would be for the moderators (if they want to) to put up a forum-wide poll in a special thread, with no discussion allowed, that everyone can see and know is there. Then anyone who wants to participate can vote anonymously, and you will presumably have as good a representative sample as you're going to get.
That is a good idea.
Mind you, I don't *need* to see a poll.. I was just idly wondering how to assess the existing one.

sam/REW .. sure, sure..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #29

I wasn't joking.

Have a nice day
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Polls posted in the soapbox are not going to be representative samplings of the posters here. The best and brightest have the soapbox on ignore. As for the rest of us, we are required to read it, despite the total lack of bacon posted therein. <sigh>

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Polls posted in the soapbox are not going to be representative samplings of the posters here. The best and brightest have the soapbox on ignore. As for the rest of us, we are required to read it, despite the total lack of bacon posted therein. <sigh>

Hey hey there, hold your ponies...the soap box, as much as it is vilified is a fun place to hang out (for political junkies like me).

It's a place where you always know your views will be challenged and where you will have to defend your pov...sure, if you just have "faith" and that's why you think what you think, then it's not a fun place to hang out.

But some of us like abuse...the intellectual rigor...

An aspect of a "healthy" group is one that can disagree, sometimes passionately so.

Sure, sometimes we're just chasing our tails, but sometimes, it's fun to get dizzy.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, sorry, I was making a little joke. I hope people can still take a little joshing around here.
Your joke was in poor taste obviously resulting in your completely incorrect political views! SCUM!

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I really enjoy the Soapbox because it's stimulating and often just plain hilarious. The Moderators deserve pats on the back for wading through the posts and keeping us in line.

There are some very intelligent and knowledgable folks posting on the Soapbox - you know who you are - and I've learned a lot from them even though some have very different views from me..... and some don't.

I'll fight for my candidate, he is the guy I trust...but if he isn't chosen, I'm trying to prepare myself for a gracious acceptance of the other fellow since there's nothing I can do about it.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #34

I think it would be a great place. Specially if it wasn't moderated. Since politics is never really civil. Just a pig dressed up with some lipstick.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually Notmuchlonger, I think it was a pitbull with lipstick - not a pig. Just a technicality, I know.

If you really want to see some incivility in politics, watch the British Parliamentary broadcasts. Here in USA the politicians are usually polite - at least to their faces.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtarentals View Post
Actually Notmuchlonger, I think it was a pitbull with lipstick - not a pig. Just a technicality, I know.

If you really want to see some incivility in politics, watch the British Parliamentary broadcasts. Here in USA the politicians are usually polite - at least to their faces.
Its a difficult situation when moderators are allowed to partake it a such volatile discussions. I would just prefer no moderation. However these boards are well run and I respect any all rules they have.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtarentals View Post

I'll fight for my candidate, he is the guy I trust...but if he isn't chosen, I'm trying to prepare myself for a gracious acceptance of the other fellow since there's nothing I can do about it.
This type of statement is one of the reasons I avoid the Soapbox. I cannot fathom how one can "trust" either Obama or McCain. Do you personally know either one? Have you met him? Had coffee with him? Watched a hockey game with him? Trust is something that belongs between two people who have a relationship. I might believe one candidate's promises; probably because it's what I want to hear or believe. I might think one candidate is more attractive, seems more intelligent, more experienced, more energetic, more idealistic, etc. etc. ad infinitum. Does that mean I trust either one?

And yes, I realize my post is of the type that belongs in the Soapbox, and I apologize. My bad.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I think it would be a great place. Specially if it wasn't moderated. Since politics is never really civil. Just a pig dressed up with some lipstick.
Here's a link for you and anyone else here who wants an open, unmoderated free speech forum to discuss politics:

Argue With Everyone Political Forums

Have fun!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a link for you and anyone else here who wants an open, unmoderated free speech forum to discuss politics:

Argue With Everyone Political Forums

Have fun!
If we were really smart here, don't you think we would get rid of the Soap Box and replace it with your link above?

This way people would click on it, get lost in that forum, and not find their way back here.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
It's a place where you always know your views will be challenged and where you will have to defend your pov...sure, if you just have "faith" and that's why you think what you think, then it's not a fun place to hang out.
Aside from being too lazy busy to argue incessantly about politics, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. My political views are the result of years of thoughtful study...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote