Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Posts: 6,470
I keep using the Retort Post button, but my post disappears!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Rianne has a way to go to catch these folks
Old 08-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 11,850
Rianne has a way to go to catch these folks

(in last 7 days)


Top Posters* 
UserPosts
pb4uski 82
NW-Bound 65
Dtail 61
audreyh1 59
MRG 51
Alan 47
Oz investor 44
MichaelB 43
joeea 41
imoldernu 35
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
wmc1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fishers soon to be Gosport
Posts: 854
At the rate I'm going that next star is a LOOOOONG WAY OFF!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I've been posting for awhile. Is it the number of words? So wordy people get more stars? Or the number of actual posts. So if I post +1, that's a post? I could go around and post +1 to all the statements I agree with. Then I'd have 6 stars.



Love the forum and seriously joking!
Rianne..........thanks (?) for posting this. The ? is because you confirmed that DW is right when she says that I don't observe things. I knew that the left column had interesting info like poster's image,location, #posts, join date but
the presence of stars ,much less that the number of stars varied was a big surprise to me.

So thanks for an interesting diversion for the day...........if life is simple...
might be because there was only 1 outlier in the small sample size I looked at....perhaps there is only one factor......as you mentioned the # of posts.
Interesting fact.....your post count doesn't change within the thread so if you are going do +1 to increase posts,you need to do it in multiple threads to maximize efficiency. Another interesting fact, when you are posting you can't see
that left column info until you finish your post.

Who knew that there are 3 stars and even 2 stars? Maybe even 1 star but I didn't see any and perhaps that would too ego-deflating. Anyway what I saw suggests (if life is simple) possible categories:
2* < 25 ? posts
3* 25-49 posts
4* 50-499 posts
5* 500-999 posts
6* 1000-4999? posts
7* 5000+ posts ? there is some uncertainty in the 7* limit because I believe
I saw something slightly above 5K posts that was still 6* so if that is real
then the limit is above 5K but below 7K but that doesn't fit nicely with the 2x and 5x and 10x wide bins.

I guess you can tell who has too much time on their hands.............
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 11,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post

I guess you can tell who has too much time on their hands.............
Yeah, we planned it that way retiring!
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #46
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 21,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
I guess you can tell who has too much time on their hands.............
Maybe this belongs in the "What did you do today?" thread....
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,441
"Obviously we need to raise the Star Tax on those lucky enough to be in the Top 1% of stars."
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,773
Stars! Stars! We don't need no stinking stars. Just post it and they will come.

Saw both movies.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Belleville, ONT
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Stars! Stars! We don't need no stinking stars. Just post it and they will come.

Saw both movies.

heh heh heh -
"Show me the stars!" (Apologies to Cuba Gooding Jr.)
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 12,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
At the rate I'm going that next star is a LOOOOONG WAY OFF!
You'll get there sooner than you expect.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Rianne..........thanks (?) for posting this. The ? is because you confirmed that DW is right when she says that I don't observe things. I knew that the left column had interesting info like poster's image,location, #posts, join date but
the presence of stars ,much less that the number of stars varied was a big surprise to me.

So thanks for an interesting diversion for the day...........if life is simple...
might be because there was only 1 outlier in the small sample size I looked at....perhaps there is only one factor......as you mentioned the # of posts.
Interesting fact.....your post count doesn't change within the thread so if you are going do +1 to increase posts,you need to do it in multiple threads to maximize efficiency. Another interesting fact, when you are posting you can't see
that left column info until you finish your post.

Who knew that there are 3 stars and even 2 stars? Maybe even 1 star but I didn't see any and perhaps that would too ego-deflating. Anyway what I saw suggests (if life is simple) possible categories:
2* < 25 ? posts
3* 25-49 posts
4* 50-499 posts
5* 500-999 posts
6* 1000-4999? posts
7* 5000+ posts ? there is some uncertainty in the 7* limit because I believe
I saw something slightly above 5K posts that was still 6* so if that is real
then the limit is above 5K but below 7K but that doesn't fit nicely with the 2x and 5x and 10x wide bins.

I guess you can tell who has too much time on their hands.............
I believe <10 posts is 1*.
Perhaps I have even more time on my hands.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 26,784
OMG! I didn't realize that I had well over 18,000 posts!

But REWahoo has 44,063 posts and
and MichaelB has 26,677 posts.

OK, I feel better.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OMG! I didn't realize that I had well over 18,000 posts!

But REWahoo has 44,063 posts and
and MichaelB has 26,677 posts.

OK, I feel better.
And yet only 7 measly stars...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,526
I have 6 measly stars but 1200 bottles of wine!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
VanWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The number of stars one has is an iconic reflection of the degree of existential interdimensionally applied to the human condition using a mathematical formulation that is asymmetrically bi-correlated to the inverse of the utility of said collaborations.
That's easy for you to say......
__________________
Retired May 13th(Friday) 2016 at age 61.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I believe <10 posts is 1*.
Perhaps I have even more time on my hands.

And you joined in Jan. 2018. FIRE is more than a hobby, it's work! Did you work for the government? Or NASA?
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
And you joined in Jan. 2018. FIRE is more than a hobby, it's work! Did you work for the government? Or NASA?
Okay I admit I am an ER.Org junky. I do love reading this site and posting to it.
I do actually do lots of other things, but this site is my form of relaxation. Actually my former job was as a Director of Valuation on Wall Street, which was technical math and also accounting oriented.
So the gist of your NASA comment is not too far off.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Okay I admit I am an ER.Org junky. I do love reading this site and posting to it.
I do actually do lots of other things, but this site is my form of relaxation. Actually my former job was as a Director of Valuation on Wall Street, which was technical math and also accounting oriented.
So the gist of your NASA comment is not too far off.

Ha! You just opened yourself up to a lot of questions! I would conceal a career like that on this forum.
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Ha! You just opened yourself up to a lot of questions! I would conceal a career like that on this forum.
Well let me edit that the valuation gig didn't teach me anything about personal finance or investing. Thus there are many folks on this site with much more knowledge in these areas, not to mention the math background of the engineers and such.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,182
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think W2R deserves her own Galaxy with over 40k posts.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dancing With the Stars ndfmnlf Life after FIRE 3 10-01-2007 09:51 AM
Stars and more LeatherneckPA Forum Admin 10 01-29-2007 11:28 AM
How are Stars assigned? ScaredtoQuit Forum Admin 14 01-23-2007 08:51 PM
What do the stars mean? ScaredtoQuit Other topics 12 01-14-2007 09:50 PM
Is Early Retirement in Your Stars? REWahoo Other topics 1 12-14-2006 05:48 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.