Where are my "thread read" stats stored ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
When the server tracks which threads/messages I have read - are these stored on the server ? Or down on my computer in a cookie ?

If, from one computer, I mark a bunch of threads "read" -- and then I go to another computer (logged into my same account) - will all these threads show "read" ?

I read forums from various computers - I'm trying to confirm that the other computers will not keep showing me threads I have already viewed.

Thanks !

The answer is the in the database.

Just as an FYI, the forum software has the following three options:
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
  1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
  2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
  3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
We are set to option #3.

Excellent. Thanks for quick reply.

So I can read the board from multiple computers - and the "what read" tracking stays current as I read from different computers.

I'm assuming the multiple computers (in the house) can all stayed logged-in.

Thanks for your help !

I'm assuming the multiple computers (in the house) can all stayed logged-in.

Thanks for your help !

Yes they can all stay logged-in. You can even log in several times from the same computer or with several different browsers at once, but you name will only appear once at the bottom of the portal page in the "who's here" list.

Back
Top Bottom