Whew!

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Wow. The end-of-year statistics for the forum show that there were 5,317,317 pages viewed in 2005 -- which really only started in May, when we moved from the old server.

Just as awesome is that there were about 11,000 unique visitors per month.

Here are some other year end stats:

93.% were using Windows, 4% Macintosh
82.5% used Internet Explorer, 11% used Firefox, 0.001% used WebTV
In December, 37.4% of visitors spent 2 minutes or less on the site, 40.9% spent 2 - 30 minutes, and the rest spent 30 minutes or more.

I have to admit, I was 10,525 of those 11,000 users. It was hard to keep track of all of those usernames and passwords, but I was feeling a little too stephen kingish with all those posts and needed a little richard bachman thrown in.

Unclemick should count way more than .001%.

() said:
I have to admit, I was 10,525 of those 11,000 users.  . .

That's not possible because I was 9,465 of those 11,000 useers.

No, wait a minute. () is one of my usernames. I'm arguing with myself. :confused:

I will probably be tarred and feathered for suggesting this, but don't those blazing traffic numbers make you want to stick some Google ads on the boards, Dory? I'm not wild about ads, but I am a realist and it wouldn't exactly upset me if you did so.

Just a thought...

Ads! Ads!

I usually buy generic dryer sheets - preferribly in bulk and only on sale!

Yikes!

brewer12345 said:
I will probably be tarred and feathered for suggesting this, but don't those blazing traffic numbers make you want to stick some Google ads on the boards, Dory?  I'm not wild about ads, but I am a realist and it wouldn't exactly upset me if you did so.
I'll bring the tar!

Hang on, Dory, I'll get around to my annual donation sometime this month. It'll help finance that sheet of cable-label stickers...

((^+^)) SG said:
That's not possible because I was 9,465 of those 11,000 useers.

No, wait a minute. () is one of my usernames. I'm arguing with myself. :confused:

At long last the truth comes out. SG's formally admitted that he wants to be me.

Ad's wouldnt bother me a bit. I have Adblock installed on firefox and never see them.

() said:
At long last the truth comes out.  SG's formally admitted that he wants to be me. . .
Now I am belittling myself.

I am me. No wait . . . you are me. :confused:

() said:
At long last the truth comes out.  SG's formally admitted that he wants to be me.

Ad's wouldnt bother me a bit.  I have Adblock installed on firefox and never see them.

OK... being at work and not at home where I have Firefox... what is Adblock.. and how do I get it:confused:

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Read about it, click on the 'install' link, and voila. It cant/doesnt block Flash, but most everything else is dropped. You can add your own 'content'/sites to filter, it comes with enough filters already enabled to suit me fine.

An idea I had for my sites for the future was to have ads shown to those who aren't logged in--the idea being regular visitors log in would just be annoyed by ads without desiring to click on them, and those who drop in and take off may bite on the ads. This thought process does ignore the probably large anonymous (not logged in) lurker userbase that would be annoyed by the ads. I had ideas on how to deal with that on my sites but it would not be as easy to implement as ads-for-non-logged-in readers.

Could you put in ads with a link to turn them off but the link only shows up if you're logged in, or to avoid annoying anonymous users let everyone turn them off if they really want to, but have the link to do that be in a fairly obscure spot so that regulars would know where it was but the very casual user probably wouldnt find it?

Ads in general wouldnt bother me, even if I didnt have the popup blocker. I cant think of too many sites that dont have at least one banner ad.

Actually, if you put something up with boobies in it, I might pay extra ;)

() said:
Actually, if you put something up with boobies in it, I might pay extra ;)

OK (), here's a nice pair of boobies...

img_354567_0_5eaf0b1c540185484c11ebf329ecd8d6.jpg

Now pay up! :)

BigMoneyJim said:
An idea I had for my sites for the future was to have ads shown to those who aren't logged in--the idea being regular visitors log in would just be annoyed by ads without desiring to click on them, and those who drop in and take off may bite on the ads. This thought process does ignore the probably large anonymous (not logged in) lurker userbase that would be annoyed by the ads. I had ideas on how to deal with that on my sites but it would not be as easy to implement as ads-for-non-logged-in readers.
The layout template has logic that determines whether to display the user welcome and message count in the upper right corner, or to display guest-related stuff. I might just mess around and see if I can put up a Google ad for not-logged-in users...

dory36 said:
The layout template has logic that determines whether to display the user welcome and message count in the upper right corner, or to display guest-related stuff. I might just mess around and see if I can put up a Google ad for not-logged-in users...

It appears to me that it's working.

Well, I'll leave that up for a while and see if it draws any ire. It should be visible only to guests.

I was going to add a message about registering to avoid the ads, but that would probably be even more obtrusive.

I have no idea of the work involved, but is it possible to slide the ad over to the right a little to give better balance to the page heading?

I know, I know...PITA hired help. :)

REWahoo! said:
I have no idea of the work involved, but is it possible to slide the ad over to the right a little to give better balance to the page heading?

I know, I know...PITA hired help. :)
I gave it a try initially using the normal coding for such things, but there is coding somewhere in there that overrides normal positioning, so I have to try and track that down so I can defeat it.

Interesting that the random ad that Google placed first (for me at least) was an ad for customized piggy banks - and yes, they have a retirement fund bank. Google looks at search topics that lead people to a page where their ads appear, and put ads that are relevant to that topic. I suppose we will see ads for people who put pancakes on rabbits' heads, etc...

Can you move that ad to the left a little...ok...to the right a little...tip that right edge up just a bit...perfect!

Hardly even noticeable. The first ad that came up for me was "Retire in 3 years". I'm so excited! Only 3 more years of all this stuff i'm doing before I can really kick back and enjoy myself...

Well, that didn't draw any ire . . . I'll try something more meretricious . . .

dory36 said:
Well, that didn't draw any ire . . . I'll try something more meretricious . . .

Dory, are you sure you are thriving with this early retirement thing? Not many of us married guys get so bored we seek to rile up the Mrs. just for the heck of it. :eek:

mer·e·tri·cious

"2. Of or relating to prostitutes or prostitution: meretricious relationships."

REWahoo! said:
mer·e·tri·cious   "2. Of or relating to prostitutes or prostitution: meretricious relationships."
I think he was referring to the context of advertising...

Back
Top Bottom