Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Who moderates the moderators ?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Who moderates the moderators ?

Just wondering who moderates what the moderators say ? A few times lately I 've been chastised by a moderator for general remarks that were taken personally .If I have to watch every word to avoid this situation the board will become more a pain for me than the enjoyment it is .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The moderators are supported by the administrators, REW, Janet H, Martha, Gumby (I may be missing one or two more).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Moemg, Rich is correct - and all of us (mods and admins) fall under the guidance of Andy R, who owns the forum.

If you have an issue with any of us, the proper channel is to contact a mod or an admin via PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Moemg, Rich is correct - and all of us (mods and admins) fall under the guidance of Andy R, who owns the forum.

If you have an issue with any of us, the proper channel is to contact a mod or an admin via PM.
Thank you for the help. Also feel free to remove this thread as I now know how to proceed .
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If I have to watch every word to avoid this situation the board will become more a pain for me than the enjoyment it is .
Yes, and if you start watching your words then this board will become less enjoyable!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yes, and if you start watching your words then this board will become less enjoyable!
If Moemg gets chastised several times, I wonder how I have managed to skate along for this long. Is chastising the same as chastity belts?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just wondering who moderates what the moderators say ? A few times lately I 've been chastised by a moderator for general remarks that were taken personally .If I have to watch every word to avoid this situation the board will become more a pain for me than the enjoyment it is .
I enjoy moemg's posts and have seen nothing even slightly offensive in them. I read only posts whose topics interrest me and may not have read all of them or perhaps some are too sensitive.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never seen anything offensive in Moemg's posts either. But I have to say being a Moderator must be a thankless job. There are so many posts for them to keep up with and the actions I have seen were defensible or entirely appropriate IMO. They've called me out a few times via PM and whether I agreed or not, their reasons were defensible, they've never been biased or arbitrary. The last time although I acknowledged it was not original, but I cut-n-pasted long quotes from other sources twice without thinking or remembering the policy about that here, they were right to call me out.

I have been on other forums where participants are allowed to do whatever they want, and a few bad apples can destroy a forum if they are not checked. We can't expect them to be perfect, and if they err on the side of caution that's OK by me. It's not as if a single post or thread any of us contributes is that important in the overall scheme of things. The Moderators here all seem to be bright, reasonable people. Without them the forum would devolve into unnecessary chaos that would make this place miserable - so I appreciate the role they play for us. My 2¢...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, it's hard to recall anything Moe ever wrote that I would find offensive - I enjoy her posts very much. Actually pretty darn funny when she's in the right mood .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for calling us bright and reasonable, Midpack! You don't know us very well, obviously!

The mods here are all participants in the forum, and as such, enjoy the same rights and responsibilities as their fellow posters. It wouldn't be much fun recruiting mods if we were to muzzle them upon conferring mod status, you know?

I know that I appreciate the remarks like Midpack has made, acknowledging the work put in by our mod team, and I hope that any problems that members have with mods in the future are addressed via PM to the administrators.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I know that I appreciate the remarks like Midpack has made, acknowledging the work put in by our mod team, and I hope that any problems that members have with mods in the future are addressed via PM to the administrators.

Absolutely , I had no idea that was what was expected .I also agree that moderating is a hard job and we are lucky to have people to do it .
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I also wonder what Moemg got moderated for?

As for me, I have never been moderated. But then, I am always a "nice guy".
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I also wonder what Moemg got moderated for?
My understanding could be wrong -- but I don't think it was a question of her being moderated, but of wanting to know who makes sure the moderators are eating their own cooking when it comes to following the Community Rules -- that they are following the same rules they are enforcing -- and where someone should go if they take issue with the words or actions of a mod.

That's a fair question, and I think it's been answered.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OK.

I would just ignore a moderator's post if it bothers me, just like any other poster.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK.

I would just ignore a moderator's post if it bothers me, just like any other poster.
You can't put a moderator or administrator on official ignore but what you suggest is what I would do, just skip over posts from people who annoy me and maybe go back and skim for context.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Good suggestion, and essentially what I do. I don't use the official ignore list feature these days.

But there a very small group of members whose posts I find so consistently irrelevant to me that I rarely read them. I'd do the same whether it was a moderator or not. And, yeah, a couple whose style I find just downright obnoxious to read so I don't.

I find that 99.9% of posts are helpful, interesting, fun and/or useful to read. I guess I'm more of a browser who occasionally dives into a thread, rather than a reader who chases down all the posts since last login.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The mods here are all participants in the forum, and as such, enjoy the same rights and responsibilities as their fellow posters. It wouldn't be much fun recruiting mods if we were to muzzle them upon conferring mod status, you know?
No comment..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I believe that they are covered by the local union UMU (United Moderators Union) and their prevailing contract disallows any criticism from the herd of posters. Not sure about the stimulus package aspects and whether or not they may be required to renegotiate the contract like the UAW has to do.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I believe that they are covered by the local union UMU (United Moderators Union) and their prevailing contract disallows any criticism from the herd of posters. Not sure about the stimulus package aspects and whether or not they may be required to renegotiate the contract like the UAW has to do.
I can't speak for the other moderators, but my contract calls for a quarterly bonus that's 50% of my base pay.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Can't we just all get along"? Wonder where "he" is now.