Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why can't I see the "colors" in the Wordle charts?
Old 03-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why can't I see the "colors" in the Wordle charts?

Just started today - every Wordle chart looks like a bunch of empty blocks.

It matters because I have as much fun "deducing" other people's words from their block patterns, as I do solving the puzzle itself.

My laptop runs Windows 10. I haven't done anything different at all since yesterday. I shut down the computer every night and restart in the a.m.

Thanks,

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #2

So, in other words, you can't see this as color? Can you screen shot and paste in what you actually see instead?

Wordle 260 3/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^^^^ I see the colors: green and yellow and black
Old 03-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The chart you just posted appears in black and white on my screen. Looks like green and yellow are both being interpreted, by the browser or the laptop or whatever, as black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
So, in other words, you can't see this as color? Can you screen shot and paste in what you actually see instead?

Wordle 260 3/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 03-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Haven't tried screenshot, but in any event I still wouldn't be able to see color in others' charts, which is what I am after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Wordle 260 3/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 03-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #6

No I mean, a pic here from your POV might help someone figure out what's going on.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The chart you just posted appears in black and white on my screen. Looks like green and yellow are both being interpreted, by the browser or the laptop or whatever, as black.
Does everything else look correct - in color? Just the grid that’s black and white?

Try copying and pasting it into a word processor.

Mine from today.

Wordle 260 4/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 03-06-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Curious that all you see are black and white squares. Without a snapshot, I'm guessing white and yellow are coming out white, and black and green are coming out green. That or all colors not black are coming out as white. No clue why that would be happening.

My issue is if I submit the color squares with a Quick Reply, I get those funky question mark symbols. I need to go into Advanced Reply to get the colors correct.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This is from my PC (knowing the solution, I just ran two lines for demo).

Wordle 260 2/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

On my Lenovo X1 Thinkpad 2d Gen, I'm unable to generate a screenshot. There is no PRTSCRN key on this model, and the recommended shortcut (FN + T) doesn't seem to do anything.

Absent a solution for the laptop, guess I'll send results from the PC.

Note: Like some others, I get "question marks" in quick-reply mode.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
On my Lenovo X1 Thinkpad 2d Gen, I'm unable to generate a screenshot. There is no PRTSCRN key on this model, and the recommended shortcut (FN + T) doesn't seem to do anything.
Is this a Windows laptop? You should be able to use the Windows+Shift+S keys to open the Snipping tool (or go to the Start menu and look under S for Snipping tool). Use the cross-hairs to make a rectangle over the portion of the screen you want to capture and when you let go of the mouse button it will capture whatever you've selected. You can then save it to a file and upload it as an attachment when posting here with Advanced mode.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Already tried. Doesn't work on my laptop. Works on my PC.

Oh well. If that were my biggest problem, I'd be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Is this a Windows laptop? You should be able to use the Windows+Shift+S keys to open the Snipping tool (or go to the Start menu and look under S for Snipping tool). Use the cross-hairs to make a rectangle over the portion of the screen you want to capture and when you let go of the mouse button it will capture whatever you've selected. You can then save it to a file and upload it as an attachment when posting here with Advanced mode.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Browser? Browser?

It matters whether it is Edge, Chrome or Firefox. Sounds like a setting got hosed.

You should try a different browser, if you want.

I can never remember how to pull up the snipping tool (windows-shift-s), so I personally remember doing a right click on the start menu and using search for "snip".

The snipping tool is immensely handy. So handy, I pinned it to my taskbar. I recommend having it handy, especially to share all kinds of stuff here.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:56 AM   #13

on my keyboard, the snipper is Start+Shift+S
Old 03-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #14

Did you clear cache memory, history, cookies, and reboot the laptop?
Old 03-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As I said in an earlier post, I shut down the laptop every night, which of course means it gets rebooted next morning.

Am reluctant to clear cache memory, etc. Last time I did that, I lost 600+ days of Duolingo and had to start over. Duolingo even shut me out of Stories because I supposedly didn't know enough Spanish yet to do them

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
Did you clear cache memory, history, cookies, and reboot the laptop?
Old 03-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Am reluctant to clear cache memory, etc. Last time I did that, I lost 600+ days of Duolingo and had to start over. Duolingo even shut me out of Stories because I supposedly didn't know enough Spanish yet to do them
That seems unusual. I have over 700 days of Duolingo and I clear mine out often but haven't lost anything there. I have lost my Wordle history and one or two other minor things, but not Duolingo.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Just started today - every Wordle chart looks like a bunch of empty blocks.

It matters because I have as much fun "deducing" other people's words from their block patterns, as I do solving the puzzle itself.

My laptop runs Windows 10. I haven't done anything different at all since yesterday. I shut down the computer every night and restart in the a.m.

Thanks,

Amethyst

Have you put more toner in your laptop?

On a more useful note: There was a glitch reported for NY Times subscribers that sounds like yours.. reading here: https://www.theverge.com/22937132/wo...irefox-cookies

Wordle also has a hard mode and a color blind mode - can you check to make sure that isn't toggled?
Old 03-07-2022, 07:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It was annoying, but I just buckled down and tested out of a bunch of levels, to convince the Duolingo bots that I could be trusted with the stories again. (Stories are my favorite part). By the time I tested out of 8 levels, I had more crowns, etc. than I started out with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That seems unusual. I have over 700 days of Duolingo and I clear mine out often but haven't lost anything there. I have lost my Wordle history and one or two other minor things, but not Duolingo.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Clearing cache shouldn't reset Duolingo. I'm a few days short of a 1000 day string. In that time, I've bounced between computers and phones. I've cleared caches, nuked disks and reinstalled, and changed phones. String still intact.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:46 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I have red green color blindness, and fail those dot test where you are supposed to see a number in the dots. I can see red and green as long as it is not mixed in with a bunch of dots. I can easily identify green color blocks on wordle
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
word game, wordle, wordle charts