Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Who's your email provider? Some are notorious for blocking incoming bulk mail for all users if any user clicks the "spam" button. When they do this, it never gets to your inbox, not even to your spam folder. AOL and Yahoo are the worst.
I hadn't gotten the newsletter since July. I changed my email address for this forum from a Yahoo email to a Gmail account and within minutes I received a newsletter!
Raymond01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Just received one today in my inbox, issue 411
Old 08-24-2022, 02:16 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Here is the initial announcement and how to opt out and in through the User CP.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-it-92416.html

I ran a check with my test account, followed the instructions above, and started receiving the weekly newsletter today.

If you want to opt-out there is a link in the footer or you can go to the User CP >> Options and uncheck the "Receive Email from Our Community" box. Do the reverse to opt in
Old 08-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #24
Administrator

There are 2 mailings.

1. The regular newsletter that comes out twice weekly. You can sign up via the link in your profile. Look for "Edit Newsletter Preferences" near the bottom of the left side menu.

2. The daily roundup. You can sign up from the link on the nav bar under community
Direct link: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ly-signup.html
Old 09-14-2022, 11:09 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

My last newsletter was July 5 I believe #397. I just realized today I did not receive them any longer. I went to the RV subscription and everything seemed in order. Annoying.
Janet from FIRE Planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:42 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

The last newsletter I received was July 8, #398. I still have the newsletter selected on the Manage Subscriptions page.
lp9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Has the missing newsletter issue been resolved? I've tried unsubscribing, logging out/in, subscribing, but still no luck.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting. I receive mine every time. Never had to unsubscribe or anything so this must be user specific for some reason.

Issue 443 came on 12/13
Issue 444 came on 12/16

Do a search in your spam, and junk and "other" inbox for "Early Retirement Newsletter Issue 443" You may need to whitelist the email address newsletter@early-retirement.org
Old 12-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully this discussion won't devolve into a Fidelity free TT type discussion.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDreamer View Post
Has the missing newsletter issue been resolved? I've tried unsubscribing, logging out/in, subscribing, but still no luck.
I looked into this and see that we've sent them. They are returned with a softbounce notice which means they are being rejected by your email provider (usually flagged as spam).
Old 12-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I looked into this and see that we've sent them. They are returned with a softbounce notice which means they are being rejected by your email provider (usually flagged as spam).
Interesting... My email provider, in this case, is Yahoo. I see in this thread that someone else has Yahoo, switched to gmail, and started receiving them again.

It seems to only affect newsletter@early-retirement.org emails. I do receive them from thread alerts (support@early-retirement.org).

I'll open a ticket with Yahoo to unblock the newsletter. Is there anything the admins here can do to open at ticket with them in parallel?

thanks!
Old 12-20-2022, 05:32 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDreamer View Post
I'll open a ticket with Yahoo to unblock the newsletter. Is there anything the admins here can do to open at ticket with them in parallel?

thanks!
I've resaved your mailing options - not sure that will help, but will also pursue this with our mailing service which may be able to shed some light on this. Digging through logs I am seeing a disturbing number of bounces for yahoo addresses.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I've resaved your mailing options - not sure that will help, but will also pursue this with our mailing service which may be able to shed some light on this. Digging through logs I am seeing a disturbing number of bounces for yahoo addresses.
Update from my side -
I called Yahoo Mail support and spoke to a rep for over an hour before getting 'disconnected'

I gave the rep all the data points we have - works for gmail, forum logs show emails to yahoo addrs are bouncing, worked for a while (last email I have is from March), the newsletter sender is the only known sender affected... The rep kept directing me to file a ticket with https://senders.yahooinc.com/. However, this site is for a mail service customer, not an end user. I didn't have any of the required data to even start a ticket. I continued to push for a resolution from a Yahoo mail end-user perspective, but was disconnected before any internal ticket was created.

Hopefully the forum mail service will have better luck with the Yahoo Senders link or their yahoo support contacts.

I may try to call again when I get some time; or punt and switch to gmail..
Old 12-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #34
Administrator

I opened a trouble ticket with our mail service and got no real help.

“A soft bounce occurs when the recipient’s email server rejects your email message due to a temporary condition that exists on the receiver’s side, e.g. perhaps their inbox is full and not accepting any new messages. Our system retries sending the message for up to 3 days, at which point if the server is still rejecting the message we stop attempting to deliver it. That is why the soft bounce reason is usually “delivery time expired.” In a nutshell, our system attempted to deliver the message for 3 days and it was rejected each time.”

“To help future delivery of your messages, I would recommend asking your subscriber add your from address to their safe sender list. It’s essentially a “vote from a customer” that you are a good sender and they want to receive these messages.”

I found this link, which seems to be the most current and most helpful about adding Safe Sender / Not Spam to various email clients.
https://anyleads.com/how-to-add-emai...der-list-gmail

The sender address on the newsletter is: newsletter @ early-retirement.org
The sender address for forum / subscribed threads notifications is: support @ early-retirement.org
(spaces added to discourage bot spam)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Janet,
There is no safe senders list in Yahoo. The only suggestion is to add the sender to the contacts list.
But I had the newsletter in my contacts and it did not help , I did not get the newsletter until I switched to Gmail.

Why does Yahoo reject the newsletter but allow thread notifications ?
I think the problem is that too many emails arrive at once at Yahoo and that triggers the reject, and it does not reach individual mailboxes, so we can't do anything on our (user) side.
This must happen to other forums so there must be a list at Yahoo of approved senders. We need to find it and invade
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote