Why did "Early Retirement Newsletter" stop coming?

AbbA

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

I didn't know where to pose the thread subject question so I chose this sub-forum.

I don't know how or why I started receiving them at the begginning, but I immediately liked them. Since I'm not FIRE'd yet these "ER Issue" newsletters kept me abreast with the current popular topics on the forum. I have kept quite a few of them in my Email inbox so I revisit the topics in the future.

Is there a way to sign-up for them or did the forum discontinue generating them? The last issue I received was "Early Retirement Newsletter Issue 397 - July 2022 - Week 26"

I miss them! I hope I can get them again going forward.

Thanks!

I'm not getting it :confused:
It stopped for me too, I don't know when.
User CP says I'm still allowing it.
It is not in spam.
I am still getting mail about updates to posts, so my email addr is fine.

Is there a place to see old issues ?

I'm not getting it :confused:
It stopped for me too, I don't know when.
User CP says I'm still allowing it.
It is not in spam.
I am still getting mail about updates to posts, so my email addr is fine.

Is there a place to see old issues ?
See post 14

[-]Unfortunate, there’s no repository for old newsletters. https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/newsletter-issues-where-are-they-108957.html

They are not kept on the site but if you know the link you can still find the news stored on the server. You might try searching your email for back issues...
[/-]

Last edited:
But why did it stop coming?

MichaelB - when was your last one ? can you check please.

But why did it stop coming?

MichaelB - when was your last one ? can you check please.

My most recent issue was Friday last, Aug 19.

Try unsubscribing, then logging out of the forum, rebooting the computer, logging back in and resubscribing. Not sure it will work but no harm in trying.

Try ...rebooting the computer
No, thank you.:cool:

I am not the one who started this thread, so there are at least 2 people with the same problem.
Maybe you should check the software records, maybe there are just too many subscribers or maybe we need a poll to see how many have the same problem.

I am still getting the newsletter, last one was Friday. For those of you not getting them, have you checked your spam folder? There is probably a problem on the receiving end.

Where is my letter? I’ve never received one. How do I sign up?

It may be that the large number of emails sent at once is causing a problem.

If one of the administrators can look to see if there are errors at the send time.

Also, there are settings in the vBulletin server:

• Use Mailqueue System - When enabled, subscription emails generated by your site will be processed in batches to lessen the load on your server....
    If you have a large site, you may wish to enable locking. This prevents a rare situation where the same email is sent multiple times.
  • Number of Emails to Send Per Batch - vBulletin includes a mail queuing system to prevent bottlenecks when sending lots of email. Use this option to specify how many emails will be sent per batch.
What numbers are specified, compared to the size of our community, may reveal a problem.

Thanks

It may be that the large number of emails sent at once is causing a problem.

If one of the administrators can look to see if there are errors at the send time.

Also, there are settings in the vBulletin server:

• Use Mailqueue System - When enabled, subscription emails generated by your site will be processed in batches to lessen the load on your server....
    If you have a large site, you may wish to enable locking. This prevents a rare situation where the same email is sent multiple times.
  • Number of Emails to Send Per Batch - vBulletin includes a mail queuing system to prevent bottlenecks when sending lots of email. Use this option to specify how many emails will be sent per batch.
What numbers are specified, compared to the size of our community, may reveal a problem.

Thanks

If those params exist in this really really old beta version of vBulletin, they are probably not adjustable by ER admins as there are several different Social Knowledge communities sharing this installation.

Who's your email provider? Some are notorious for blocking incoming bulk mail for all users if any user clicks the "spam" button. When they do this, it never gets to your inbox, not even to your spam folder. AOL and Yahoo are the worst.

After all these years here, this is the first I've heard of a newsletter! But I do visit this site once or twice a day so I doubt I'm missing anything.

After all these years here, this is the first I've heard of a newsletter! But I do visit this site once or twice a day so I doubt I'm missing anything.

Me too! Never heard of it.

Even though I visit often, I still find it useful. YMMV

The newsletter also stopped for me. The directions on how to get it going again do not make sense to me, but I am bad with computers.

Who's your email provider? Some are notorious for blocking incoming bulk mail for all users if any user clicks the "spam" button. When they do this, it never gets to your inbox, not even to your spam folder. AOL and Yahoo are the worst.

I hadn't gotten the newsletter since July. I changed my email address for this forum from a Yahoo email to a Gmail account and within minutes I received a newsletter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the initial announcement and how to opt out and in through the User CP.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/er-org-weekly-newsletter-read-all-about-it-92416.html

I ran a check with my test account, followed the instructions above, and started receiving the weekly newsletter today.

If you want to opt-out there is a link in the footer or you can go to the User CP >> Options and uncheck the "Receive Email from Our Community" box. Do the reverse to opt in

Last edited:
There are 2 mailings.

1. The regular newsletter that comes out twice weekly. You can sign up via the link in your profile. Look for "Edit Newsletter Preferences" near the bottom of the left side menu.

2. The daily roundup. You can sign up from the link on the nav bar under community
Direct link: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/daily-signup.html

My last newsletter was July 5 I believe #397. I just realized today I did not receive them any longer. I went to the RV subscription and everything seemed in order. Annoying.

Back
Top Bottom