Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've often wished there was an option to ignore a poster in a particular thread. I have experienced situations where a poster who has given good information on some subjects gets into a pissing match with someone in a particular thread. I'd love to be able to ignore them both, but only in that thread. And I'm sure there are a few that feel that way about me sometimes too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

There is! It is called the scroll function I use it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've often wished there was an option to ignore a poster in a particular thread. .
Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
^^^ This.

I try to think of myself as a guest in someone's home. I may disagree with my host or another of his guests, but try to mind my manners online just as I would in person. If I was at an event and found things intolerable, I would find an excuse to leave. That's even easier to do online.
+1

I back off threads when people get nasty. Someone in another thread mis-informed the board about something I consider important but..... People can read and make up their own minds.

When people get nasty I turn them off and hang other places.

However I believe the mods do a great job of letting the conversation run with the proper amount of moderating.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I say this, even though I sometimes feel that the party gets shut down just when it's getting interesting
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What typically happens is the first problematic posts will be removed from a thread and the offending posters warned to cease and desist. Meanwhile, other posters will chime in with more problematic posts. Rinse and repeat. After a round or two the mods will tire of playing whack-a-post and agree to shut the thread down.
Thank you for explaining that. I appreciate that there is at least some discussion of the option of removing just the offending post. And I recognize that this might not be effective in all cases.

Just thinking out loud, if there were a placeholder in the thread showing that a post had been removed, it might cause other posters to think twice about re-igniting the flame. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
... I even sometimes wonder whether some folks like to get a thread shut down. ...
I do think this is true in some cases. I think there are certain posters who just do not want to have a light shone on certain topics. So they start acting up to get the thread shut down. They don't behave that way in other threads.

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just thinking out loud, if there were a placeholder in the thread showing that a post had been removed, it might cause other posters to think twice about re-igniting the flame. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
There was a flag that was set on "hot topic" threads where the users were warned to adhere to the rules. I haven't seen that flag used as much lately, but earlier this year there were a few. Of course this may be due to me avoiding "hot topics" threads too!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Same here!

Thank you for explaining that. I appreciate that there is at least some discussion of the option of removing just the offending post. And I recognize that this might not be effective in all cases.

I wish that were the case, but in my experience (in life, not just on several internet forums) problems arise when a small handful of individuals are more interested in being "right" than in being civil.

I think the mods on this forum do an outstanding job of keeping things civil. And they certainly don't get paid enough () to play kindergarten teacher.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There is a points based infraction system to help the team track repeat offenders.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tem-35251.html
Where would one look to see if they have any points?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
Administrator

In the unlikely event you ever receive an infraction point, you will be informed via private message from the moderators.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Where would one look to see if they have any points?
It is not a stealth system. PMs inform the infracted user of the reason and number of points.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Reminds me of the old John Hausman commercial for Smith Barney -- "they make the most ignored list the old fashioned way, they earn it."
lol! Been awhile 'since I heard that one Gumby.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It is not a stealth system. PMs inform the infracted user of the reason and number of points.
So just because someone has a post removed and is warned by the mod team does not necessarily equate to a points infraction?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So just because someone has a post removed and is warned by the mod team does not necessarily equate to a points infraction?
You seem concerned. Any reason for that?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #34

Quote:
That is correct. However, I had a signature line removed along with receiving a points infraction. However, the points infraction was removed after a specified amount of time.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #35

Quote:
You seem concerned. Any reason for that?
Well.....I have been um, um, chastised a few times and was just curious.
I have since learned to read over my postings before hitting the submit button.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have since learned to read over my postings before hitting the submit button.
This forum would benefit if more posters followed your example.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
......... However, the points infraction was removed after a specified amount of time.
I've had one on another sister site for going on 4 years. They seem to hold a grudge.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Correct. As I stated above one knows when they receive an infraction, it is a formal and scripted process similar to receiving a traffic ticket.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tem-35251.html

Quote:
To make our jobs easier and improve tracking of repeat or severe offenders, we are implementing an "infraction system." Similar to traffic tickets, infractions might be given for rule violations advising the member of the issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This forum would benefit if more posters followed your example.
+1
Old 12-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.........I have since learned to read over my postings before hitting the submit button.
I've found that posting while sober helps for me....at least most of the time.
Closed Thread