Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yup this is one of the more civil forums. Must be the results of good mods. Many thanks and seasons greetings to all.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Not the same but you can ignore posters who you'd rather not hear from. Took four years before I used it. But there's some folks who earn it.
Even if you think they've earned it, you can't "Ignore" some posters.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
True but you w*rk with what you have. They're only virtually gone. Of course we're only virtually here; so maybe they are gone in the real world?

It does keep me from wasting my time reading or replying to someone who's goal is to troll.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yea, moderators for example.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Especially since so many people "quote" the ignored posters. You just can't win.

Although I have noticed a few posters who seldom get responded to. It makes me wonder if most everyone has them on ignore.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
It looks like you are right. I did a search earlier and found this thread:

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259017

Which made me think this was supported in vBulletin. Reading the thread further, it looks like this is an add-on to vBulletin.

I'm not that familiar with vBulletin and how easy/hard it is to add this type of mod, but maybe this is something that the forum admins/moderators can consider adding?

<snip>

Ignoring doesn't solve this problem. That only filters out specific users. What I'm asking is if there's a way to prevent specific users from posting to a useful thread to prevent the thread from being locked.

If we're talking about something informative that we can all benefit from and 80% of the posts are good and 20% are against the community rules, it's a shame to let the 20% cause the thread to be locked. I'd rather see the 20% locked out of the thread and let the other 80% keep contributing.
+1000.

I realize that this would require modifying the board software. It seems to me that the powers that be are happy with the status quo, which is understandable as long as people are reasonably satisfied with the current arrangement. I'm disappointed if that turns out to be the case. Oh well.

I would like to point out on this thread, since my other one was closed, that one of the potential benefits of this is that it might make moderators' jobs more pleasant or easier.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #67
gone traveling

I'm 100% in favor of anything that will enable us to have discussions about matters that are of importance to FIREes, such as healthcare, taxation, etc. Please help make this happen.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
+1000.

I realize that this would require modifying the board software. It seems to me that the powers that be are happy with the status quo, which is understandable as long as people are reasonably satisfied with the current arrangement. I'm disappointed if that turns out to be the case. Oh well.

I would like to point out on this thread, since my other one was closed, that one of the potential benefits of this is that it might make moderators' jobs more pleasant or easier.

And per that link:

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259017

it looks like it gets very positive reviews (4.78 average) from the users (which would be the mods/admins). I wouldn't expect good reviews unless it actually made their life easier.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Here's my suggestion:
I got dinged once or twice early on for a violation of the rules of discussion. I think I was banned for two weeks. I vowed 'never again' as I value this forum so much. Now I think twice, post once (most of the time) always with an eye on if the mods might take a comment as over the line.

So. We all know what is frowned upon. How about just following the rules of discussion, keeping the sensitive topics and responses out of it and focus on FIRE issues?

IMO this forum ain't broke; no need to fix it.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Here's my suggestion:
I got dinged once or twice early on for a violation of the rules of discussion. I think I was banned for two weeks. I vowed 'never again' as I value this forum so much. Now I think twice, post once (most of the time) always with an eye on if the mods might take a comment as over the line.

So. We all know what is frowned upon. How about just following the rules of discussion, keeping the sensitive topics and responses out of it and focus on FIRE issues?

IMO this forum ain't broke; no need to fix it.
This is about the people who don't follow the rules! And it makes a mess for others.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Immediate solution for those of you who take issue with moderators closing threads: Problem members who cause threads to be shut down will be permanently banned - problem solved.

This is actually the only significant procedural change the mods can make since the software isn't capable of a thread specific ban. It will also make the mods lives easier since members who cause problems on one thread are probably not consistent rule followers on other threads as well.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

While many things can get people riled up, I wonder - is politics the primary cause of rancor?

If so, one option would be to delegate a non-moderated subforum to politics only. They did that on a piloting forum (called the subforum the "Spin Zone") which required a member to explicitly subscribe to the subforum with the understanding that users in the subforum were on their own - if their egos were bruised or otherwise offended by something they read, tough.

It worked for quite a few years. But a small number of users would get seriously upset by someone else in the Spin Zone and would spill their rancor into the main forums. Eventually the mods shut the Spin Zone down - but some of the long-time members of that subforum started a new aviation+politics forum (pilotspin.com) hosted elsewhere which is still running. Mostly hands-off moderation because things are expected to get heated.

(By the way shutting the Spin Zone subforum down did not clear things up - politics started creeping back into the main piloting forums despite it being against the rules.)
Old 01-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna152 View Post
If so, one option would be to delegate a non-moderated subforum to politics only.
Been there, done that, failed miserably.

See this thread and scroll down to "The Soapbox Experiment": http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...org-53657.html

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #74

A forum I recently joined has an interesting feature which seems to help.

In addition to the "thanks" button, it also has a "like" button. And on that forum, folks are very generous with their "likes."

Getting that positive feedback really feels good. And while it doesn't prevent hard-core hotheads from spewing their venom, it seems to motivate the majority to keep things civil. Sort of a carrot, instead of a stick.

That forum also happens to have an unmoderated area for those who feel the need to vent. It does seem to help somewhat, but I can also see where disagreements there can get nasty, which then colors the participants' opinions of each other on the main board.

As I've said before, hats off to the mods here, they're doing a great job and I support whatever they decide.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This is about the people who don't follow the rules! And it makes a mess for others.

-ERD50
That's what I was getting at. If those who don't follow the rules get dinged and not allowed to participate for a few weeks they'll either get in line, leave for more active pastures or end up being banned for life.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Been there, done that, failed miserably.

See this thread and scroll down to "The Soapbox Experiment": http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...org-53657.html
Thanks - I see the same pattern repeated here as elsewhere.

Then the other option is for the someone(s) who has the motivation (e.g. long suffering moderators or people who like to argue disputable subjects) to start and host a completely different forum website where such people may post essentially unmoderated. They'd be pointed there from here and advised they have the option to use a different handle there so as to isolate any feared backlash, if so desired.

But I don't see anyone posting to this thread with the requisite motivation. The expectation is always that "someone else" will solve "the problem."

Personally, I'm not bothered by the things that trigger others. But then I used Usenet forums beginning around 1988 and 95% of those forums were entirely unmoderated.

By the way - I always wanted to suggest this "solution" to moderators of the forums I frequent - but until now hadn't:

Moderate only when a user clicks on the "Report this post". If the reported post is not spam or a physical threat, warn the reporting user and on a second false report kick the reporting user off the forum. Problem is that too many people think that policy is backwards while I think it is forwards.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

I, for one, appreciate the efforts to have an atmosphere of civility and value same. Kudos to moderators for their role in this, as well as the majority of posters (on many topics) I have read.

Some topics are important, but difficult, and people tend to believe what they believe. Some wise person said a sign of intelligence is to be able to consider a different perspective you may not agree with.

Most of the time I enjoy and learn from the threads. I just leave if itís getting too argumentative to be worth reading further.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand a comment may come across harsher then perhaps they intended.

Humor and some clever snarky can be fun, but life is too short to indulge flamethrowers IMO.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
That's what I was getting at. If those who don't follow the rules get dinged and not allowed to participate for a few weeks they'll either get in line, leave for more active pastures or end up being banned for life.
I think that could work, but I've never been a mod. so I don't know. I also think more info on what was taken down (and even who) would help. Most threads that get closed, apparently have had the offending posts removed. So the mods know what went on, but the rest of us are just scratching our heads - what happened? We see the OK posts, but the thread is closed, it's confusing. Maybe more use of the <mod edit for xyz reason> would make us more aware of what is in and out of limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A forum I recently joined has an interesting feature which seems to help.

In addition to the "thanks" button, it also has a "like" button. And on that forum, folks are very generous with their "likes."

Getting that positive feedback really feels good. ....
That 'like' feature is in a more technical/scientific forum that I frequent. It works really well there, because it is understood that 'like' means you are acknowledging that the post was especially insightful and/or the poster put in significant effort to help others. And most subjects aren't as opinionated as many forums.

But on other forums, it tends to just be a 'popularity' contest thing, and/or one side trying to 'out-like' the other. Here, for example, those who like using an FA would be 'liking' each other's posts, and those pointing out the issues with FA's would also be 'liking' each other's posts. It gets pretty pointless. And someone with a valid, but minority opinion gets shouted down.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #79

No changes. This forum is fine. In fact, itís solid. Although perhaps they should, I donít hear the mods complaining about their job of sometimes having to moderate a thread. And thereís rarely much to see further in any thread thatís been moderated. Usually by the time itís closed the horse has been beaten to near death and the train has derailed already.
Just keep a good thing going as is. Thatís my opinion FWIW
Old 01-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #80

Why not ban users from a thread?

Is there a way for me to tell if someone is banned or he/she has been told to not come back for two weeks, etc? Do they all get the "gone traveling" status or not? I am asking because sometimes people just stop posting (like Blue Collar Guy and Fedup) and I don't know if they don't come around anymore because they are banned or they are ...well, not.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread