Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why Such A Short Period For Editing A Post ?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why Such A Short Period For Editing A Post ?

I posted on this thread @ 10:00 PM last night.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2040757
Today, I went back to see if there were any responses & noticed something I'd like to add, but I was no longer able to edit.

Seems you could allow at least 24 hrs ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ny guess is to avoid "War of the Worlds" type issues. But that's just my guess.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

A number of forums I participate on have no time limits. Not sure why this one does, but as we all know, '"they" make the rules.

Easy way around this one is to just copy your own post and make the edits/additions/corrections in the new post in the same thread.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ny guess is to avoid "War of the Worlds" type issues. But that's just my guess.
Yes

The other reason is that folks don't go back and reread posts they have already seen so updates to a post via an edit are rarely actually seen by those following a topic. Just post a response with the additional info. If you really need an edit because there is a factual error or serious goof, ping a moderator for some help.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
A number of forums I participate on have no time limits.
I participated in a forum like that. And then a prolific, long-time participant got into a snit and deleted all his posts going back many years (or rather "edited" them down to three characters). It made a mess of hundreds of threads to which a lot of other folks had contributed. That forum changed their policy after that little dust-up.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
A number of forums I participate on have no time limits. Not sure why this one does, but as we all know, '"they" make the rules.

There was a time when edits were open ended here as well but there were growing problems. Several threads were decimated when a poster who had responded many times went and deleted all their own posts rendering the rest of the thread impossible to follow. We've also had a few instances of a members account compromised and every post they ever made replaced with spam or kids playing at a browser left open and editing posts as a 'joke'. One notable time a miffed spouse made some extremely interesting changes to existing posts.

The edit period is currently 6 hours, long enough to fix many errors and add after thoughts. we can help if you need changes after the edit window has expired but put the limit in place to maintain discussion continuity and protect from occasional mischief.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I participated in a forum like that. And then a prolific, long-time participant got into a snit and deleted all his posts going back many years (or rather "edited" them down to three characters). It made a mess of hundreds of threads to which a lot of other folks had contributed. That forum changed their policy after that little dust-up.
I'm sure that could happen but from what I've seen most key post are often copied (quoted) and then commented on by someone else thereby locking your words in for eternity, or at least beyond the original posters control. That being said, I actually prefer the 6 hour rule.

Edited to correct a spelling error but I see it's already been locked in for eternity.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure that could happen but from what I've seen most key post are often copied (quoted) and then commented on by someone else thereby locking your words in for eternity, or at least beyond the original posters control. That begin said, I actually prefer the 6 hour rule.
Unfortunately that is often not the case, and in the past we have had members start a thread and go back within the 6 hour period and replace all or most of the content. Very frustrating to the rest of the members if that initial post had not been quoted.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I posted on this thread @ 10:00 PM last night.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2040757
Today, I went back to see if there were any responses & noticed something I'd like to add, but I was no longer able to edit.

Seems you could allow at least 24 hrs ?
It’s easy enough to quote your original post and add more info.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The current policy of 6 hours works for me. Most of mine are to fix typos or clarify what I meant or after thoughts.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The current policy of 6 hours works for me. Most of mine are to fix typos or clarify what I meant or after thoughts.
+1
Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Unfortunately that is often not the case, and in the past we have had members start a thread and go back within the 6 hour period and replace all or most of the content. Very frustrating to the rest of the members if that initial post had not been quoted.
Yes. Recently, I had an exchange with another poster. It was rather innocuous, but whether she misunderstood or took offense somehow, she went back and deleted all her posts, leaving mine hanging out there. And I did not quote her posts. People who came to the thread late would wonder what NW-Bound was talking to himself all about.

Anyway, the only reason I would want to edit my posts long after the fact is when I spot a misspelling, a typographical or grammatical error. I am not a good writer, but that does not mean I can stand my own mistakes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes. Recently, I had an exchange with another poster. It was rather innocuous, but whether she misunderstood or took offense somehow, she went back and deleted all her posts, leaving mine hanging out there. And I did not quote her posts. People who came to the thread late would wonder what NW-Bound was talking to himself all about.

Oh sigh....

The 6 hour limit is sort of a half measure I guess, it helps reduce risk of this sort of thing but doesn't eliminate the possibility entirely. These sorts of restrictions are a balancing act and we tried to find a middle ground between being good stewards of content and being overly restrictive.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It was OK. Didn't bother me, and I found it amusing.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure it's so that if you're drinking late at night and make some really stupid posts you won't be able to delete the embarrassing evidence the next morning. The moderators have wicked senses of humor.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm pretty sure it's so that if you're drinking late at night and make some really stupid posts you won't be able to delete the embarrassing evidence the next morning. The moderators have wicked senses of humor.
Best explanation yet
Old 04-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yes, PUI is sometimes a problem.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes, PUI is sometimes a problem.
Maybe computers should come with a breathalyzer so you can't post anything after the 2nd drink ?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #19

Coming soon:

I-Drunk USB/Bluetooth breathalyzer for your PC or Smartphone with software that blocks posting privileges to social media if you are too drunk to post.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Maybe computers should come with a breathalyzer so you can't post anything after the 2nd drink ?
Well done!