Yes I'll Help! or No Thanks!

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Every so often I get a popup inviting me to participate in some E-R.org survey. I always click "No Thanks!" because I'm not fond of taking surveys generally.

Is there some way to make my "No Thanks!" decision permanent? That would be swell.

2Cor521

The simplest way is to activate the popup blocker in your browser.

Every so often I get a popup inviting me to participate in some E-R.org survey. I always click "No Thanks!" because I'm not fond of taking surveys generally.

Is there some way to make my "No Thanks!" decision permanent? That would be swell.

2Cor521
The simplest way is to activate the popup blocker in your browser.
Unfortunately blocking popups doesn't stop them for me in Firefox.

Coach

I too would like to stop the survey request permanently. The popup blocker on my home computer (Adblock in Firefox on Mac, but it may not be the very latest version) doesn't stop either the survey request or the other popup that offers repeatedly to send E-R direct to my email. I also get asked to take the survey on my computer at work (Internet Explorere on a PC with Windows XP).

I hesitate to bring this up, for fear of offending the powers that be here, but there is software available to handle this problem.
I haven't seen a popup, an ad of any kind, or been subjected to a tracking cookie or for most of a year now, due to a very simple bit of software. I won't make any recommendations publicly, but this sort of help is available if you look for it.

I hesitate to bring this up, for fear of offending the powers that be here, but there is software available to handle this problem.
I haven't seen a popup, an ad of any kind, or been subjected to a tracking cookie or for most of a year now, due to a very simple bit of software. I won't make any recommendations publicly, but this sort of help is available if you look for it.
Even if you gave the name of the program, there are limits to what I am allowed to install on my computer at work—I might not be able to use it there. Since you don't give the name I have no way to know if the program you refer to is available for the Mac, so I may not be able to use it at home either.

Anyway, it would be much simpler for the user if there was simply an option to shut off the pop-up via the forum, and no detriment to E-R that I can see in making that possible. Those of us who don't like surveys are not going to fill it out, no matter how many times we are asked. Besides, there's a risk that answering one questionnaire will result in getting more questionnaires later on other topics, like those "unsubscribe" links in spam emails that only serve to verify for the spammer that they have found a live email address.

there are limits to what I am allowed to install on my computer at work—I might not be able to use it there.

That's a completely different issue. I would think that this sort of thing is not a problem at the websites your employer expects you to visit while at work.

That's a completely different issue. I would think that this sort of thing is not a problem at the websites your employer expects you to visit while at work.
Assuming your employer expects you to visit Early-Retirement.org due to the workplace environment...

I read E-R and (other forums too) on my lunch break or after hours, not while I'm supposed to be working. The repeated requests to take the survey are annoying, and I wish I could stop them, but installing additional blocking software on my work computer isn't an option.

Running Firefox 8.0 here, with AdBlockPlus and NoScript, and if it weren't for this thread I would never have known there were popup survey requests here.

I have Firefox 8.0.1, with AdBlockPlus, but not NoScript if that's an add on.

Hey guys (and gals :D ).

Why not just complete the survey with trash answers?

It will be invalid data and after awhile maybe it will go away, since it dosen't contain any valid info?

Hey guys (and gals :D ).

Why not just complete the survey with trash answers?

It will be invalid data and after awhile maybe it will go away, since it doesn't contain any valid info?

I doesn't go away. Even after you take the survey, it keeps asking. I have started viewing the forum using the ipad app, since (so far) it hasn't had a pop-up survey.

I always so No now after thinking that answering it once would make it go away! I am good for once a year. But it will get me used to saying No!

Because the moderators could start handing out penalty points...

We don't deal with the survey or its answers at all, and in fact we are subject to this popup and attempt to avoid it too. I noticed that if I navigate anywhere on the website, it goes away, and then I can come right back to where I was. So, given that and a fast computer and internet connection, I hardly notice it personally and haven't tried adding further pop-up blockers. But it is there.

I can certainly sympathize and understand what those on this thread are saying, though. Therefore I did notify those on up the line that this thread is going on, and I'm sure that they will give it some serious consideration.

Considering that we get to participate in this forum free of charge, I think that dealing with the occasional pop-up is a pretty minor price to pay.

Considering that we get to participate in this forum free of charge, I think that dealing with the occasional pop-up is a pretty minor price to pay.
It's not the trauma that we're concerned about, it's the trend...

Back
Top Bottom