Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

A replacement for FIREcalc?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

A replacement for FIREcalc?

I found this linked today on the Bogleheads board:

Crowdsourced Financial Independence and Early Retirement Simulator/Calculator

Looks to me like it includes returns data through 2012.

Cb
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried it and keep getting this: "Start Year of portfolio adjustments must be on or after the current Year. Please return to the input page and correct the input."

I've trimmed my entries to the bare minimum and can't see what I am supposed to change.

Any ideas?

omni
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't had any problems with it. He's set up a board (linked at the top) for development suggestions and bugs if you'd care to describe the problem you're having.

I'd imagine it'd be tough getting an site like that sorted out for different browsers, tablets, etc, but it looks like he's making an effort. Which is more than I can say for another popular ER calculator...
Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It works fine for me, too. I like the way that all of the data entry fields are on the same page. I also like the "Investigate" feature. The output take some getting used to with the lines staggered, but I can see the advantage of being able to see which years were good or bad ones to retire historically.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb View Post
I haven't had any problems with it. He's set up a board (linked at the top) for development suggestions and bugs if you'd care to describe the problem you're having.

I'd imagine it'd be tough getting an site like that sorted out for different browsers, tablets, etc, but it looks like he's making an effort. Which is more than I can say for another popular ER calculator...
I started afresh and added one new input at a time and figured out that that the SS end date I had input was off by a year.

Now it's working just fine.

omni
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I started afresh and added one new input at a time and figured out that that the SS end date I had input was off by a year.

Now it's working just fine.

omni
Haven't been to the site yet, but thought that "SS end date" sounded like the ultimate euphemism.

-gauss
Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Tried it and it looks good after a brief tryout. I didn't see where the new data changed from previous Firecalc runs, maybe a tad lower on w/d rate but nothing to change any of my plans.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting tool. I input the same parameters (to the extent applicable) as my Quicken Lifetime Planner plan and my QLP ending balance is between the average and median ending account balances. If I increase my living expenses in QLP to the spending level where I run out of money at age 100 it is within $1,000/year of the spending level of 100% success rate. So everything seems consistent.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

i will try it. at a quick glance I don't see where you can save your results? that would be a no go for me.maybe did not look hard enough..............
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
i will try it. at a quick glance I don't see where you can save your results? that would be a no go for me.maybe did not look hard enough..............
Apparently all inputs are smooshed into this long line of gobbletygook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** page
"Test String" is a representation of all of the inputs used for your simulation. Triple-click the row to select the entire thing for copying/pasting. This string allows you to revisit a particular simulation, or allow someone else to revisit it. This is particularly useful for testing.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Tried it and it looks good after a brief tryout. I didn't see where the new data changed from previous Firecalc runs, maybe a tad lower on w/d rate but nothing to change any of my plans.
The data is actually good through June of 2013. I *think* that FireCalc only uses data when a year is complete (so, 2013 won't be added until the end of this year)
A takeoff on FireCalc
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
gone traveling

A takeoff on FireCalc

Ran across this on another forum (Bogleheads). Apparently someone has reverse-engineered FireCalc, has it updated with fresh data thru 2013, and presents results with an interactive graph (that only seems to work in non-IE browsers).

I ran some numbers thru it and compared to FireCalc - the results were very similar.

Crowdsourced Financial Independence and Early Retirement Simulator/Calculator
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

I like the one page input approach of this calculator
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #14

Cb posted this earlier today.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

It said I had to spend $1,000 less than my pension every year in order to get 95% success rate. I guess I just keep my retirement savings going and bank social security?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
... I *think* that FireCalc only uses data when a year is complete (so, 2013 won't be added until the end of this year)....
As far as I know, the FIREcalc dataset hasn't been updated in over 2 years. The owner hasn't bothered to respond to PM's I sent in May & July regarding it's status.

I'm quite pleased to have learned about your efforts, Bo.

Cb
Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
I like the one page input approach of this calculator
+1

Also found results very similar to Firecalc.

But I cannot seem to get the graphs to work. Running Mac & tried both Firefox & Safari.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Haven't been to the site yet, but thought that "SS end date" sounded like the ultimate euphemism.

-gauss
With a SS 'end date' , you could model a 'what if' one spouse passed in X years, and the other spouse was left with lower SS income. Same thing with pension.

-ERD50
Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like it but I'm not sure the best way to tweak it for those who will having varying expenditures throughout at least part of the plan.

When I first did it putting in the numbers I just recently used for Firecalc I was startled to see a 1.77% success rate!

On Firecalc if you use the manual spending mode then you put in all of your spending for each year. For illustration, I'll use made up numbers.

Year 1 - $100,000
Year 2 - $110,000
Year 3 -$80,000
Year 4 - $75,000
Year 5 and above - $70,000

So I did that (using my real numbers not the ones above) on the this new one and got a $1.77% success rate.

This is apparently because the program was adding the above spending to the default spending of $40,000 a year.

So I went and zeroed out the default of $40,000 a year and left in the above for the spending. I got a much better success rate (I think it was around 90%).

But then I realized there was another way to do it. This time I put in the default spending the amount that was Year 5 and above (in the example, $70,000), then on the spending changes I put in the difference between those amounts and $70,000:

Year 1 - $30,000
Year 2 - $40,000
Year 3 -$10,000
Year 4 - $5,000

Doing it that way, the success percentage was about 98%.

Obviously that is much higher than 90%. However, I don't know which way is better to use for those who will have higher withdrawals earlier in retirement and want to put in manual spending for earlier years.

There were no instructions I could find.

Also, on the link you could copy and put in my browser told me the link was too long to use.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a nice calculator to use.

Does anyone know of a way to save the inputs, so if I want to call back up this site it will have what I entered in before?
Closed Thread